Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,259,997 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My husband and I are in our 30's and have just purchased a WII. We like the idea of getting this "hobby' that we can do together and have some fun. However, we are unsure of what games are fun and which are a waste of money.

We have WII sports that came with it-- and we purchaed Mario Cart. We are looking for action packed, fun games that are non violent since we have a toddler.. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,452,170 times
I'm interested in these too, because I'd like to play more with my wife on WII, but without the constraint of non-violence; bring that on. I'd especially enjoy coop multiplay where she and I work as a team, blowing the hell out of stuff.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,105 times
Bedroom Boogie (not sure my wife will go for it)

Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,085,750 times
Default Wii versatility

Don’t forget that the Wii also plays GameCube games (all you need is a GameCube controller) and many of those can be purchased used at very reasonable prices from places like Gamestop. You can often find some real bargains on Craig’s List too.

If you pick up the classic controller for the Wii you can even download some old Nintendo classics using a Wi-Fi connection. One game that many of my couple friends tell me they enjoy is Mario Golf 64 as it's very fun and up to 4 people can play using just one classic controller.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,259,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Bedroom Boogie (not sure my wife will go for it)

AHAHAH OMG that is soo funny!!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 PM

370 posts, read 1,015,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Hi all.

My husband and I are in our 30's and have just purchased a WII. We like the idea of getting this "hobby' that we can do together and have some fun. However, we are unsure of what games are fun and which are a waste of money.
I'm a little confused.

Do you guys like video games in the first place? Like, I'd assume not because you're posting this in the first place. What was the last system (if any) that you've bought FOR YOURSELF?

If the answer is "none" then you most likely won't get into this "hobby", and just have the Wii for an extra toy whenever you're really REALLY bored. What I would do is:
1) Stop spelling it WII and start spelling it "Wii" just because I keep thinking I'm reading 'Wordl War II" for some reason
2) Buy 3 Wii-remotes so you have a total of 4. Wii is MUCH more fun with 4 people or more. You two will get bored very quickly, but find it very useful for social occasions.
3) Start making Mii's of all your friends, and let them see them and play as them
4) I suggest buying the Mario Parties and Wario Ware. You can goto places like IGN.COM or pick up an "Electronic Gaming Monthly" to determine what games out or coming out you think look cool. Keep in mind that you're looking for you and your friends. A party game. Goto a Gamestop and ASK THEM for their HONEST OPINION. They will tell you. Ask more than one employee, too.
5) If you DID play old video games a lot, go online on the Wii Shopping Channel and you can buy your old favorite games. This might be good for when you're alone.
6) If you find it just sitting there for months at a time, sell it and buy something for your kid.

Some of that might have been a little presumptuous and harsh, but I'll tell you why I was. I bought a Wii for myself and the value wore off quick, so I saved up and I also sold it for a XBox360 with a few games off of Ebay. I played that much more until it got stolen. Now I have nothing, haha. So I go home and my parents bought a Wii for themselves, and I thought "that's pretty cool, good for them" and it was all the rage for them for a few weeks, after that it hasn't been touched since, and hell, I wish they would have invested their money in something that they know they like already

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Hey, skids, I had an experience about #4, talking to a Gamestop employee. Plus, I didn't know until today that Gamestop and EB Toys are the same company. Bought a used Xbox game for a granddaughter and the employee said if she didn't like it she could take it back to either place because it is the same company!

Oobie, my wife and I have been playing the Wii since last spring. Most of the time we play a couple rounds of golf, then bowl, tennis and then do our "Fitness test". For a change we got MarioParty 8. Not really a fastr moving game but it's a change and we enjoy it. Every now and then we get out the "Summer Sports, Paradise Island" out and play some putt putt golf. It also has basketball, plus H-O-R-S-E, lawn darts, horse shoes, croquet, and a few other games. One problem we found with horse shoes is, if you don't have a 4th player, the computer plays that one and wins just about every time!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Yeah Gamestop and EB Games are owned by the same company, but Gamestop is incredibly better than EB Games. If you like Mario Party, get Wario Ware!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
We were in Paducah, Ky and the people at EB acted like they knew 10 times more than the Gamestop workers. And friendlier too!

I just found out you don't need to buy that steering wheel to play Mario Kart!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 PM

You don't need any of the Wii-remote add ons to play any of the games, hah. Except the nun-chuck now and then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games