Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,012,537 times

Advertisements

Why am I just know realizing how incredibly messed up the XBOX 360 console truly is. After months of pestering from my 13 yr old, and because I am a LOYAL MICROSOFT customer, I gave in and helped him purchase a Microsoft Xbox 360 system. I mean he works hard at school, does his chores without being told to do so, is respectful, I figure why
not? Little did I know the problems I would experience with this console!

Not even 3 weeks into purchasing the system, the dreaded "ring of death" appeared! To add insult to injury, finding a store that could help was utterly impossible! Sure I could exchage it for another but then we would get home and that god awful red ring would appear again! I would have sworn by Microsoft prior to this , but I kid you not if I hadn't of lost the receipt I would simply ask for my money back and washed my hands of their game systems all together.

I looked online to see if there were any consumer reports similar to my situation and imagine the shocked look on my face when I saw the hundred of complaints that were similar to my own! I am so pissed off that I don't know what to do. What happened to the days where you got what you purchased and if something was wrong with it you could get your money back or exchange it for something that actually worked? Why has it gotten to the point where you almost expect something to go wrong when you purchase anything! I mean $200.00 is nothing to sneeze at, particularly when you're a hardworking individual who isn't rich.

What's worse my 13 yr old was rewarded with an awful experience!

Damn it !!!

Anyone else experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:49 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,461,254 times
Yes,
It's been hell, thats why i gave up and decided to buy a ps3.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 AM

518 posts, read 2,522,772 times
try trading it in for a new system, cause most systems work fine, though some do have problems with the ring of death. When my system failed, I sent it back to microsoft, they sent me a new system, and its been fine for 2 years now, and its played about 10 hours per week

Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,118,472 times
Although you lost the receipt, there is a serial number on the back of the 360 that Microsoft can use to get everything they need about it. Because several models of the 360 had the Red Ring of Death issue, they have actually extended their warranty for five years as an "apology". Though, I always advise people to research video games and consoles before laying down the money. Make sure you are getting your money's worth. If you ever need to, there are many people here of whom could have helped you in your decision.

This is because there are a few releases of the 360 that are impervious to the RRoD overheating issue - a few releases that can be left on for hours, days, and weeks at a time without issue. Just last night, I fell asleep to the "soothing ambience" of Keiv Moc in Tales of Vesperia on my 360. Actually, I was just too lazy to backtrack, so I turned off the TV and left my surround sound on.

As for the Red Ring of Death you are experiencing, is it the full ring? Three rings? Depending upon what is lit and what is not is the code, much like the DOS beep codes. Here is a pretty accurate listing of the 360 error codes. It may be something as small as having the brick connector partially undone or even just moving it somewhere to get better ventilation (See how one guy's PS3 killed his 360).

Old 02-02-2009, 10:18 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,011,843 times
The RRoD is no longer a console killer. Ever since the introduction of the Falcon Chipset, the failure rate went from 30% to 16%. Is your console bricked? If so, then just call up Microsoft. They'll replace your console without any trouble whatsoever.

Although judging by your post, you got the arcade version. Which I believe still has the original chipset, only the pro and elite have the new "Jasper" chipset, which is the improved version of the Falcon chipset. So, I do belive your console still falls under the 30% failure rate.

Like Kuharai said, we've had our 360 for over a year. Not one problem. We've gotten the RRoD a few times, but it has never bricked our console. In fact, one particular week while I was playing Fable 2, I had the console on for an entire week. (For those who played the game, they should pretty much guess why.) Not one problem. RRoDs are a thing of the past for the newer consoles, you just need to do your research to see what kind of chipset your console has.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,828,796 times
I know how you feel. I bought the 360 when the first came out and had to send it back twice already. The last time was in November 2008 and XBox customer service obviously in India are just terrible.

Took them forever to send the console back to me, I kept calling and calling and finally, just before Christmas, I received what was a replacement console. As soon as I plugged it in and powered it on - THREE FLASHING RED LIGHTS!!! I was beyond Pi$$ed!!! Called customer service again and the idiots kept trying to read from a script and it was pi$$ing me off even more. They sent me a free game, and promised to FedEx a return box with a FedEx label for me to send it back. Took them a couple more weeks and I had to call them again asked "Where the F*** is my Box". Finally, another slow a$$ Sesame Street barely can read India customer service person reading her prepared script helped me. They said they would send me a Brand New console via FedEx which should be delivered today - February 2nd. We'll see.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,828,796 times
Just got the console delivered today. They did not send a new console but instead another replacement unit. Plugged it in, hit power - THREE FLASHING RED LIGHTS!!!! I AM NOW WAAAY BEYOND PI$$ED!!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Actually, Lang is quite mistaken. We have never gotten the real RRoD. We have gotten the general error code ring, though. In fact, we got it last night when Lang fumbled over the power brick *what a fricken pain that thing is!* when trying to plug something in. The difference is that the RRoD is the flashing three lights, where as the general error code version is where they are solid.

DaBeez, I'm sorry to hear that. Which version of the 360 do you have?

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 02-02-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM

542 posts, read 1,444,130 times
i bought it. never got any red rings, but many other problems. can't read brand new games. freezes up. playing fight night and get what i like to call matrix mode. the noise of it. the batteries for the controllers die very fast. plenty more. i fu$%in hate it.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i bought it. never got any red rings, but many other problems. can't read brand new games. freezes up. playing fight night and get what i like to call matrix mode. the noise of it. the batteries for the controllers die very fast. plenty more. i fu$%in hate it.
Just trying to help here: but with it not reading brand new games and freezing up, I would think that there might be a problem with the lens. Depending upon where and how your 360 sits, the disk might be meeting with the lens too hard and causing problems. A good way to tell is if some of your other games are scratched in a circular pattern.

The PS3 had some issues with this as well - except you can't clean your own lenses on that system. Whereas on the 360, you can run a standard lens cleaning disk.. the PS3 has to be sent in.

As for the batteries on the controller, I noticed that one of my charge-n-go batteries was dying too quickly and needing to be charged often, shortly before it actually died completely. How often is it on the charger? It is actually better to play without the charger and let it almost die before charging it. If you are using batteries, I suggest using NiMH rechargeables with about 2300 mAh or greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games