Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Final Fantasy 7.
Same for me. This is also the only RPG I have EVER played. My buddy sold me his PS1 with this and I was hooked from the start.

Right now Im loving NCAA 09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 01:17 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
I rarely bother with games that don't perform well, whether it's a problem with my rig or the game itself, but I love SimCity 4 enough that I put up with the many crashes, slowdowns and other crap to play it still.

Another patch to make it a little less crash-prone would be nice, since it's still the last proper SimCity title out. I'm not acknowledging that Societies abomination.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,635 times
I'm suprised nobody have mentioned Max Payne. It was a real masterpiece, true breakthru. It's my all time fav along with Mafia: The City Of Lost Heaven.
I did enjoyed Max Payne. The first part was super awesome though the second part was not bad too.

I'm posting here three of my fav games:
1.Max Payne 1/2
2.Mafia: The City Of Lost Heaven
3.Unreal 2: The Awakening

Here are some first part Max Payne screenshots:

http://www.gameland.lv/lena/pics/centerpics/Games/Skreenshoti/MaxPayne/max_payne_6.jpg (broken link)

Here are some second part screenshots:

Another favorite game of mine is Mafia:The City Of Lost Heaven. I like it way more than any of GTA parts. Mafia: The City Of Lost Heaven was a true masterpiece.

http://alemforum.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/mafia-_the_city_of_lost_heaven-9.jpg (broken link)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w262/djinn80/800px-Mafia-CoLH_Car_Pursuit.jpg (broken link)

http://images.fragland.net/screenshots/151/22.jpg (broken link)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w262/djinn80/800px-Mafia-CoLH_Street.jpg (broken link)

Here is the third fav game of mine. This is called Unreal II: The Awakening.
I liked it way more than the first Unreal and than Halo (both parts). Not a mobster game like previous ones but a kind of space shooter. Very beautiful.

http://m.mygames.pt/MediaCenter/media/images/highlights/unreal-ii-2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by FlashM; 05-03-2009 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
I'm gonna have to go old school and say that my absolute favorite video game is Road Rash. That game rocks!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 PM

51 posts, read 157,168 times
'007 Golden Eye' for Nintendo 64

Old 05-25-2009, 12:46 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Ever? Probably Chrono Trigger. But I also love any Zelda game that isn't Windwanker. And Skies of Arcadia (For the Game Cube, though it was originally released for the Dreamcast) which is an absolutely awesome RPG that you can get for super cheap.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,217 times
Gears of War 2
Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Metal gear solid (ps1)
Final Fantasy 7 (ps1)

Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
As I don't have my full list handy, I'll just list off my top 10 and my reasons for each.

(Note, this is copy/pasted from an earlier post, but I'm replacing a game on the list due to playing the sequel.)

1:Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Take the wonderful storytelling of the Metal Gear franchise. Make it less confusing. Add in some of the most memorable villains in the franchise, and sprinkle so many gameplay improvements that it's not even funny. Also helps to have an excellent soundtrack and wonderful graphics. Seriously, this is my favourite game of all time. (Note: I have played and finished MGS4, but I do think this is the better game. Not by much though. Very close call.)

2: Final Fantasy XII. Now, I know what you're thinking. "A final fantasy title that's not VII in a top ten? Are you crazy?!" Well, maybe I'm a little psycho, but eh. Now to why it's above Xenogears, which I know will be hard to explain. For one, the graphics are insane. The scenes wouldn't look out of place on the freaking PS3. The story, as usual for a game in the Ivalice universe, is simply amazing. Many twists and turns and some fine, memorable characters. The gameplay is awesome as well. Some may dislike the fact that the more you use gambits, the less you actually play the game, but I love the strategic factor that comes with the gambits. And the amount of sidequests in this game puts FFX to shame. To SHAME. And licenses are fun as well.

3: Xenogears. This should come to no suprise to see this on a top 10 list. When it comes to story in a videogame, this game tops them all. Nowhere else in gaming (other than Xenosaga) can you find a story as expansive, deep, and engaging. The battle system is great, but some of the battles can be unforgiving. (Id anyone?) It's also great that they threw in mech combat to change things up. The only thing I can fault this game for is that they rushed it out the door, therefore leaving an incomplete product. (Disc 2 shows this in a big way.)

4: Super Mario RPG. When I first heard about this game, I thought "Mario, in an RPG? This game will suck.." And then I played it. Excellent graphics, excellent story, excellent battle system, and excellent characters. The game is non-stop fun, and needs to be in everyone's library.

5: Resident Evil 5: Now, I know that some consider this to be the worst in the franchise, due to the fact that it's more action than survival horror. I just don't care, and I play the game for what it is. The graphics are tremendous, the gameplay is spot-on, and while the story isn't the best, it's an RE game. The series isn't known for its wonderful storytelling. A huge complaint about this game is length and Sheva's AI. Length I can see, as the game can be beaten (but not finished) in under 7 hours. Howeve,r to get everything in the game, you have to put in a massive commitment to it. NOt to mention the mercenaries mode and the versus mode breathes more life into the game.

6: Portal Bout time an FPS made it on this list, eh? And it isn't even an action one! Ah well. This game is pure genius and pure fun from the moment you step out of your sleeping chambers to the moment you throw the last part of GLaDOS in the incinerator. The portal puzzles were fun as all get out, and even mind racking at points. And what other game can make you feel so much love for an inanimate object? Compainion cube, I miss you so...

7: Mass Effect Back to the RPG genre. In fact, the game that redefined the entire genre. The storytelling in this game propels a sci-fi mythos comparable to Star Wars. The gameplay in this game may remind you a bit of a 3rd person shooter, but it's more elaborate than that. Upgradeable weapons, "biotic (see: Force)" powers, what weapon to use where, etc. Not to mention the graphics for the game. Very nice.

8: Star Ocean: The Second Story. Another sci-fi RPG, this one a little more traditional. It's got what I consider to be the most memorable characters of all time. The battle system is action based, but still random battles. Graphics were gorgeous for its time, and actually aged pretty well. (As we can see with the remake on the PSP having exactly the same kind of graphics.) The story was excellent, full of unexpected twists. A must have for any PSone RPG fan, or anyone with a PSP and is not willing to wait till January (Import)

9: Half Life 2 (combined with every episode) Back to the FPS genre, and this one's actually a shooter! This game probably has the best storytelling out of any FPS game out there. And that's not exaggerating. The mythos in this game is DEEP. The gameplay is what you'd expect from an FPS, you point at bad guys and you shoot. What sets this game apart is the Gravity Gun, and the ability to launch projectiles at your enemies. (I know other FPS games do this now, but this was the original.) And the graphics on this game are beautiful.

10: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. FFVII is a game that has not aged well. It's especially true when the prequel to the game surpasses it on many levels. Let's look at those levels, eh?

1: The easy one: Graphics. Amazing for a PSP game. The game wouldn't look out of place on a late PS2/early PS3 game. And the cut scenes look like they even somewhat surpass Advent Children. Seriously, I cannot play FFVII anymore after playing this game for that reason only.

2: Story. FFVII had a huge problem with storytelling. It was slow, cumbersome, unengaging, and filled with uninteresting characters combined with the most overrated villains of all time. (Oh god, I can see the pyres and the pitchforks from here. o.o) Crisis Core took these characters, gave them EMOTION and DYNAMICS. Zack Fair has become the most beloved FFVII character in my mind. His story is the saddest, making Aerieth and Cloud look like a whining crybaby. We grew with him, felt for him when his world fell apart around him, followed his lead when he took charge as a first class SOLDIER , and cried when the end came, even though we knew it was coming.

3: Gameplay. Now, this can be easily debated, however, I did enjoy the hack and slash gameplay of CC over the wait your turn gameplay of FFVII. The materia system I felt was put in better use in CC, and the DMW kept things interesting. And the mission mode keeps you playing for hours on end. 4: Music. Probably the only section where it's mainly equal to FFVII. Basically remixed tracks from the original game. So, all in all, CC is an excellent game that any PSP owner needs to own.

For those who are all like tl;dr, here's the short version:

1: MGS3
2: FFXII
3: Xenogears
4: SMRPG
5: RE5
6: Portal
7: Mass Effect
8: Star Ocean 2
9: HL2
10: Crisis Core

Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,123 times
FFVII is so horribly overrated it's not funny. I mean it's a good game but people make it out to be the be all end all of gaming. Seph would get his butt kicked by Kefka from VI, no doubt. The fact that the 3D modeling was so poor also annoyed me. Your character was a tiny little dot on the screen and you had to see those stairs to walk up or something equally ridiculous. They were either huge on your screen, or barely visible.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 AM

65 posts, read 125,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
FFVII is so horribly overrated it's not funny. I mean it's a good game but people make it out to be the be all end all of gaming. Seph would get his butt kicked by Kefka from VI, no doubt. The fact that the 3D modeling was so poor also annoyed me. Your character was a tiny little dot on the screen and you had to see those stairs to walk up or something equally ridiculous. They were either huge on your screen, or barely visible.
It is overrated. People like the character cloud more than they like the game thats why its so popular. game not bad though but i hate rpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games