Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,236,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
To me, video games have gotten TOO complex.... Maybe it's my age, but I used to be SO good at all of these games. Now it seems in Madden you need to be able to punch a rapid combination of 6 buttons in succession to pull off the move you are intending and such and it's gotten FAR too frustrating.....

IMO in the attempt to capture realism, many games have gotten too difficult to play...
I agree with you. Some games are just too complex for someone to just jump in and start playing. I was at a friend's house a while back and he invited me to play a Madden on his PS3. Talk about being at a severe disadvantage...

But there are still some games that you don't really have to be a genious to play. Mario Kart for example. My 3 yr old son plays sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,269,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Civ IV is another of my favorites, and I have been anticipating a new release soon. Unfortunately, the next Civ game is going to be a Facebook game. Seriously! I wish that was just some sort of joke but its not. Again the fanbase has saved the day with a lot of great mods for CivIV so I will have something to play instead of Civilization:Farmville.
Hold on, back up a minute... It looks like the golden age may not be completely over just yet after all. It is true that the next Civ will be a facebook game, but there is going to be a Civ V this year! Awesome! To me a new Civ game is like getting sex flavored cocaine for Christmas.

Yeah I am quoting myself, but hey, I just so, so very happy to have been wrong about this.

Civ, hell yeah!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,488,578 times
Default w

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I think the we're in a slow-ish part aside from some of the blockbuster games coming out now, but the golden age is certainly not over. Heck, it might just be getting started. I hope things continue to get better, but I'm getting a little tired of having to buy a new console every few years to keep up.
I also hate the idea, but I bought a new VCR player in 1997, a new dvd player in 2003 & a new blu ray player in 2011.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,056,389 times
Well seeing as how it's a few years later, I'd figure I'd give an update.

I don't feel as strongly about the golden age being behind us as I did back in '09 (sad times back then). With the proliferation of indie games recently, I feel like originality is coming back little by little. I'm very excited and relieved that these little games are becoming so popular and successful! It shows that a lot of people still like originality and innovation. Sony and Microsoft have taken notice too. Sony is now starting to support the indie community as much as it does the AAA IP's and I expect Microsoft to do the same with its upcoming platform.

Even the 1st party studios are slowly starting to bring back some original ideas. Bioshock Infinite was marvelous as far as story goes (gameplay still wasn't very innovative though - it was still just another FPS with the skyline system tacked on), Tomb Raider brought back Laura Croft in a completely new light, and I must say, I'm really looking forward to The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls.

Lastly, Steam has brought gaming back to the PC in a huge way. Thanks Valve!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,873,474 times
I'm 35 years old. I feel like I'm perpetually going to be an 80's and 90's gamer. Games after about 2004/05 are just whacked (some not all).

-Old games were just *FUN*.

For example, the other day I was looking up Crazy Taxi online. It seems like a lot of games from 96-02, were simple, fairly straightforward. They had a *FUN* factor. They weren't bogged down in realism. They weren't trying to be movies.

I think there was a simple innate appeal to them. Goldeneye for N64 is still one of the best 1st person shooters ever. Banjo Kazooie. Another awesome game. Even Super Mario World. That's still a top 20 game of all time.

-A lot of new games after 2004/06.

They are trying to be movies. They are franchises with minimal improvements (i.e. Madden 07 vs 06). Or they are clones of each other (all the first person shooters).

My brother and I joke about the decline/elimination of manuals from video games. That's a sign things are changing. I'm not a huge fan of network games either. I like games in a box that you can touch, lol.

Tonight, lol, I was playing super off road on one of those midway treasure collections for ps2. LOL. About 70% of the stuff I play is old. Also, there's kind of a mystery as to whether you can beat an old game. How far can you go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games