Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,011,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo78253 View Post
Nothing will ever top
ff7

With the exception of most other RPGs out there.

FFXIII to me is now the best FF out there. Easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 AM

511 posts, read 2,193,365 times
Well, we got the game at the midnight madness thingy. It was kinda scary nerdy... in all seriousness I overherd way too many conversations that included the terms "halfling" "cosplay" and "lesbian dwarf".

I've really just gotten into FF/video games in the last 6 years or so... not your typical nerd... I'm a 26yo wife/mother. I LOVE FF7... and I highly advise also playing Crisis Core on the PSP. It adds so much to the story. For a handheld game, the graphics are stunning. The cut scenes are the same quality as the movie.

So far dh & I are loving FF13. We are going through it together. In chapter 10 right now. I really love the music, beautiful graphics, great voice acting IMO. I give it 5 stars so far.

-It was released for the PS3 & XBOX360. Not online though, as far as I know.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:24 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,536,631 times
Meh... I'll wait until it drops to around $20 new, about 2 years from now.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:41 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Anyone else going out to Midnight Madness tonight to get a copy? We are. I know we could just wait till tomorrow, but hey it's something to do. Might be interesting. Can't wait to see this game. I love the FF games!
I'm a FF fangirl - played 6 to 12. Purchased 13 for the Ps3, and I don't know what I feel about it. Maybe I've outgrown FF? Not really, because I can plug and play 10, 7, 12...

FF13 seems like a good play, but it's hard for me to get into it.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,051,521 times
I'm about halfway through and so far I'm dissapointed.

I think it's a visually stunning game and the voice acting is my favorite in the series by far. It's the gameplay I have a major problem with. I don't want to have to switch paradigms and change the tactics for every single character just so I can heal someone. That's just frustrating especially when enemies can still attack you while your characters are switching. I understand that they were going for fast paced but they threw out all of the strategy in favor of it. There's no way you can sit there and decide which tactics you're going to use this turn without having your a$$ handed to you while you're deciding. Instead, I just find myself frantically hitting auto battle and switching to a paradigm that includes healing when a character needs it then switching back for more auto battle mashing. The complete lack of Gil in this game is also annoying. Also, these boss battles are getting really difficult (I'm in chapter ten) without much reward.

Next up, the game is way too linear in every sense that it can be. Even the nonstop dungeons that you crawl through are basically long corridors more or less. The abandonment of towns is extremely dissapointing to me as I feel that they served as the catylist and face of the world you were in. Interacting with townsfolk gave the world character.

The story is ok. It's not really capturing my interest and I'm having trouble caring about these characters. I like it more than 12's (and way more than X-2's). I'm starting to wonder if the story is worth these ridiculously difficult boss fights though.

I feel like Final Fantasy 13 is just a continuation down the path of sacrificing gameplay and depth for pretty graphics to razzle and dazzle people. I read an interview where one of the developers even said that their top priority for the series is to crate a games that have all the latest technology. #2 is good stories. Gameplay came after that I guess. He didn't say. That sums it up pretty well though.

Gamasutra - Features - The Mind And Heart Of Final Fantasy XIII

Last question on page 2.

Last edited by Adric; 03-29-2010 at 10:54 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,157,109 times
i beat the japanese version back in january (pass the nerd crown). story is a bit of a mess, plus the game takes about 20 hours to get started.

overall i like the combat, characters and music. the gameplay became very tiring though. run, fight, run, fight, repeat for 40+ hours. i bought the NA version and tried replaying it but after about 5 hours i just cant do it. did have fun on the first playthrough though.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 PM

409 posts, read 2,628,816 times
I am very disappointed of this game.
Story is good, combat feels good, graphics are great, yet I am not happy.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,667,940 times
I wrapped up the main storyline last week. I have a bunch of those "marks" to do now that the storyline is over. I simply won't do them. For some reason, I just don't agree with the concept of "more game left after you complete the game." Overall, enjoyed it. But won't play again.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM

142 posts, read 248,637 times
I've played through most of the Final Fantasy games, although I can't say that I've played through every single one from beginning to end. The biggest thing that I've noticed about XIII was how different it was from the rest of the games.

Playing through the series I've come to realize little things, parallels that are shared between the games. And I don't just mean chocobos and mogs and world maps and such. So it brought a smile to my face when I realized that just like how in Final Fantasy IX Lindblum was a huge hulking location that seemed to be for the good guys so it was in XIII.

But besides that I think chapter 7 is a major point for the game. If you don't like it after the end of chapter 7 then I don't think there's much hope.

Not sure how I will finally feel about XIII, definitely need more time to make that decision.
But as it stands right now I still feel that VI is my favorite. The next level down belong to IV, VII, and IX. After that things get pretty cloudy. Finally I never really got all the way into III, X-2 or XI.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,240,127 times
This was a horrible game.

I keep thinking I'm too harsh on it. But it's like an ex-girlfriend who you think will change but doesn't. Yeah I liked her because she was attractive but damn everything else about her sucked.

FFXIII had really campy characters, horrible dialog, cool but boring battle system, horrible Transformer like summons.

The main complaint was that there was no breathing room in the story and nothing to do but fight and watch cutscenes. Very boring.

It's the first FF I've ever returned back to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games