Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:16 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Who is paying for all that silly stuff and crazy ideas? Your parents?
At 34 you still live at home and you don't work...
You should be ashamed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
No I'm paying for it, and I work.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

I beg of the OP not to make the movie. He will be living at home forever...just make a simple short "movie" and put it on the WWW.

Where are you getting a fire truck and are you going close a street????

Also, truly, you need help with basic spelling/grammar. How will you write a script?
Well I've already made short films and put them on the web, I can't be doing that forever. I feel I should make something big and try to do something bigger in to break into the industry rather than just keep on making shorts still. As for the fire truck, I asked other filmmakers about that, and if I should just scrap the fire truck, but they said that getting a fire truck could be do-able, plus in the plot, the villains destroy evidence, and you need to do that with fire. I thought they could just run bleach all over the evidence, so I wouldn't need fire, but I was told by others, that bleach is just not as plausible, and fire may be necessary for the story therefore (shrug). But I was told by other filmmakers to just get a really good CG artist for that.

Plus all the other filmmakers I worked for are doing there first features. One I am working for now, is doing a feature as we a speak, so I don't think it's ridiculous if the other filmmakers I helped have done it, and they say it's a normal step.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Who is paying for all that silly stuff and crazy ideas? Your parents?
At 34 you still live at home and you don't work...
You should be ashamed...

Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
No I'm paying for it, and I work.
You're using your life savings and you quit your job because you couldn't use the restroom. How will you ever live on your own? Or is truly you can't live on your own...

Quote:
Well I've already made short films and put them on the web, I can't be doing that forever. I feel I should make something big and try to do something bigger in to break into the industry rather than just keep on making shorts still. As for the fire truck, I asked other filmmakers about that, and if I should just scrap the fire truck, but they said that getting a fire truck could be do-able, plus in the plot, the villains destroy evidence, and you need to do that with fire. I thought they could just run bleach all over the evidence, so I wouldn't need fire, but I was told by others, that bleach is just not as plausible, and fire may be necessary for the story therefore (shrug). But I was told by other filmmakers to just get a really good CG artist for that.

Plus all the other filmmakers I worked for are doing THEIR first features. One I am working for now, is doing a feature as we a speak, so I don't think it's ridiculous if the other filmmakers I helped have done it, and they say it's a normal step.
How did your shorts do on YT? Post them here so you can get honest feedback because seriously, your movie doesn't sound good.

It may be a "normal" step for other filmmakers because I guarantee they didn't live at home with their parents. They did "life stuff" first, thennnnnn a movie.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Well everyone was telling me to quit my job, people on here, the doctor, cause it was causing bladder problems, friends family. The job was driving me nuts cause it was effecting my health so everyone told me to quit it. I went back to an older job from before.

Some of the shorts on youtube got negative feedback mostly cause of poor sound and poor cinematography. Which is why of course, I am spending more money on a more experienced a more experienced cinematographer and post production sound mixer, etc.

Here's the latest short I did, and not finished it yet, but here's a draft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_1Wwthhkg&t=2s

Old 03-16-2019, 06:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
This isn't 1950. Forget the dolly. Get a Steadicam or a very good gimbel. It'll give you more options for camera movement and you won't have to waste your time setting up tracks for a dolly.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Okay thanks, but I tried the gimbal before but I didn't think it looked as smooth as the dolly. The gimbal is smoother in faster shots, but if you want to do a really slow dolly like move, the gimbal has these little micro-movements that you can see when moving very slowly.

Like in this shot here with the gimbal we did for my short film for example, does it have more micro-movements compared to a dolly, or is it just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85soQGO-k4

Last edited by ironpony; 03-16-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 12:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, but I tried the gimbal before but I didn't think it looked as smooth as the dolly. The gimbal is smoother in faster shots, but if you want to do a really slow dolly like move, the gimbal has these little micro-movements that you can see when moving very slowly.

Like in this shot here with the gimbal we did for my short film for example, does it have more micro-movements compared to a dolly, or is it just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85soQGO-k4
I do not consider that a "dolly like move"....

I do not think a "dolly" would have smoothed that shot out...

That shot could have been taken care of with a tripod, properly used... The subject in that video did not move around that much...

Old 03-16-2019, 12:24 PM

But the camera is going around him in a circular motion. First the gimbal circles over to the left side of him, and then it circles over to the right side, slowly.

You can't go in a circular motion on a tripod. So if I wanted to circle around an actor slowly, like in that shot, would a dolly have been more smooth than a gimbal?

Old 03-16-2019, 01:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
LOL! I saw this on the sidebar and knew immediately who it was that posted it.

I don't understand why posters are still responding to this garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography