Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 09:57 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times

Advertisements

I guess you can delete and re-post the video as new?

You will lose the links and comments, but it will shake-off the parasite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Also, most people don't know it, but you no longer have to register something for a copyright, according to copyright law, since I think it was 1978- you no longer have to add the (C) or register, that anything in a tangeable form is automatically copyrighted upon creation, but it's helpful to register it if you have to go to court to sue for infringement.
So, while people might laugh- even your emails are automatically copyrighted when you created them in tangeable form, which means people copy/pasting them to a third party or platform like a blog are violating your copyright.

Yes, it was 1978 that many of the rules changed.

You are correct. Copyright is established as soon as the "work" is fixed in tangible form. Filing paperwork with a government agency does not grant a copyright (as many people think). It only _registers_ the work. It also provides various legal protections.

In some Berne Convention countries, registration is not a thing. In the U.S. we register with the Library of Congress.

According to the LoC, registration is REQUIRED to bring any legal action. I have heard people dispute this claim, but it is clearly noted on the LoC website. Going to court is likely to be a very expensive proposition and not worth it for most. (BTW - the "poor man's copyright" of mailing something to yourself is a waste of time and will not hold up in court.)

However, if you are producing your own work and putting them on something like YouTube, that registration certificate might make it easier to prove your case. Same with adding the (c) mark - it gives you and added protection. (BTW - correct format is (c) YEAR COPYRIGHT HOLDER. I see so many people get that wrong.)

As to emails... I see your point. However, it would be a stretch to try and claim an email as a "literary work." Although since 99% of people don't seem to know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "to," two," and "too" those emails may qualify as "abstract art."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography