Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 42,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What's your political persuasion? H'burg, outside the university, is pretty conservative (bible belt). I'd have a tough time living in the Shenandoah Valley just for that reason. There's a reason, unlike most college town, kids rarely stay there after graduation.
My husband and I are members of our town's RTC so it'll be nice to not be a minority anymore ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 AM

16 posts, read 42,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
The Lexington/ Buena Vista area is beautiful! It's smaller and quieter than the Harrisonburg area, but real estate prices run a little higher. 10 acres there will swallow up most of your budget but if you can afford it, it is beautiful. Bridgewater is a beautiful small town and has it's own police force which helps keep it quiet, not sure if you can get the acreage in town or not.
I'm thinking of around Lexington area to have a central location where he can then potentially draw customers from Blacksburg, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Charlottesville and Harrisonburg. He currently has customers in 3 states so 60-80 miles isn't unusual for him. He does alot of work by remote.

As for property, if it's set up for boarding horses we could go higher on price since we could make an income from it. I used to train horses and in fact was at the VA Horse Center in Lexington for a sale back in July of 1995. I'd love to get back into it.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 21,872 times
I would avoid Clarksville. The locals make a big deal about being on the "largest lake in the state", but there is not much there. If your from an ocean state, or anything by the great lakes it will look like a puddle in comparison.

As far as supporting your husbands business, I don't think the Clarksville area is a good pick. The town closed its only Burger King a while back because there are not enough people to support it.

The only business in the area is a federal government data center. Unfortunately, that means that your husband is going to have a lot of competition, since a lot of people in the town are IT professionals. It also means that a decent chunk of the town can fix their own computer problems, which cuts down on your husbands clientèle.

On the upside, as I said there is a federal data center there. If your husband is an IT professional, he might be able to find employment.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia