Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,017,922 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My husband and I are looking to leave S. Florida and head up north to be closer to family. My brother lives in a magnificent home in Fairfax, VA. But we just can't afford that area. We have a 5 year old daughter (entering kindergarten) and an 11 year old son (entering 6th grade). We also have 2 dogs.

We are both self employed as recruiters. So we don't necessarily need to worry about commuting times. We are mainly concerned about a good school district and an area that is very kid friendly (lots of things to do). We plan to rent for a year. Our budget allows us to go up to $1200 month for a 3 bedroom.

Any suggestions??

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM

303 posts, read 594,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Hello-

My husband and I are looking to leave S. Florida and head up north to be closer to family. My brother lives in a magnificent home in Fairfax, VA. But we just can't afford that area. We have a 5 year old daughter (entering kindergarten) and an 11 year old son (entering 6th grade). We also have 2 dogs.

We are both self employed as recruiters. So we don't necessarily need to worry about commuting times. We are mainly concerned about a good school district and an area that is very kid friendly (lots of things to do). We plan to rent for a year. Our budget allows us to go up to $1200 month for a 3 bedroom.

Any suggestions??

THANKS!!
Are you looking to be in the NoVA area? If so, I'm very sorry to tell you that $1,200 a month for a 3 bedroom in NoVA is not possible. Apartments that are 1 bedrooms rent for more then that.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
Are you looking to be in the NoVA area? If so, I'm very sorry to tell you that $1,200 a month for a 3 bedroom in NoVA is not possible. Apartments that are 1 bedrooms rent for more then that.
Well then I guess we won't be looking in the NOVA area...lol What other areas do you suggest?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Well, I guess I shouldn't say it's not possible but believe me for a 3 bedroom for $1,200 you are not going to be in a very good area.

You could try Winchester, VA. This database shows townhouses for rent in that price range. I can't attest to how kid friendly it is as I've never lived there - only shopped or visited for the day. I've worked with many people in my lifetime who were born and raised there and they enjoyed it. Lots of people live there and commute to work in NoVA.

Real Estate in WINCHESTER, VA, For Rent - Homes Database (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-WINCHESTER-VA-For+Rent-2.html;jsessionid=F7C04DA90DF8FA1AE417F2D32F2FE743 ?activeSort=-listprice+streetname+relevance%7Casc - broken link)

I've also worked with numerous people who live in Harpers Ferry, WV (Jefferson County) and commute to NoVA. Housing there is far less expensive also.

You have to trade off on some things in this area. Either you up your rent amount to be directly in NoVA and near lots of activities for kids and be in Fairfax County schools or you live further out with cheaper housing and maybe not as many activities for kids. In the areas that I have listed above, I can't attest for the school systems as I have only worked with people who attended those schools but I will say they were not dummies so it couldn't have been that bad.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM

I also wanted to add that why don't you post your question in the Northern Virginia board where you might get a lot more ideas of what you could do.

Good luck moving closer to your family.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM

84 posts, read 202,640 times
Winchester (went through Frederick Co schools myself) and Strasburg both would fit the bill. Heck, even Warrenton, Va are good places to raise a family. The schools in Shenandoah Co (Strasburg), Frederick Co (Winchester), and Fauquier Co (Warrenton) are great school districts. You'll find tons of things to do for the kiddies in Winchester and you are with in driving distance to DC Zoo and Baltimore Aquarium. There is also a neat little zoo north of Frederick, MD (catoctain zoo). I think just about anywhere west of Fairfax it is a safe bet you will find rentals in the 1200 range. Who knows if you look hard enough you may find a rental in South Riding, VA (Loudoun Co) or out in Middleburg, VA (Loudoun Co) <<-------Super nice little town but a bit ritzy. If you need more info on schools let me know....I've worked in just about every school system in VA.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragons View Post
Winchester (went through Frederick Co schools myself) and Strasburg both would fit the bill. Heck, even Warrenton, Va are good places to raise a family. The schools in Shenandoah Co (Strasburg), Frederick Co (Winchester), and Fauquier Co (Warrenton) are great school districts. You'll find tons of things to do for the kiddies in Winchester and you are with in driving distance to DC Zoo and Baltimore Aquarium. There is also a neat little zoo north of Frederick, MD (catoctain zoo). I think just about anywhere west of Fairfax it is a safe bet you will find rentals in the 1200 range. Who knows if you look hard enough you may find a rental in South Riding, VA (Loudoun Co) or out in Middleburg, VA (Loudoun Co) <<-------Super nice little town but a bit ritzy. If you need more info on schools let me know....I've worked in just about every school system in VA.
THANK YOU, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR POST! I have a 5 year old daughter who will be entering Kindergarten this fall, and an 11 year old son entering 6th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia