Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times

Advertisements

I've done lots and lots of research about the state. My husband is 36 and I'm 35. We have 2 children, daughter 16 and son 13. I'm looking for an area that:
1) Safe, low crime
2) Good schools and colleges
3) suburban, but houses have some space (at least 1/4-1/2 acre up to 1 acre) I'm looking to spend about $150K-$175K on a house.
4) Convenient to shopping (Wal-Mart, Big Lots, Family Dollar, Ross, TJ MAxx, Burlington, mall)
5) Activities for the kids (a town that doesn't shut down at 9 PM)
6) Parks and outdoor activities, festivals, fairs
7) Friendly people-don't want to feel like an outsider
8) Jobs..I work in an Animal Hospital and my husband does landscaping (Sod, mulch, stone, patios, etc) Is there year round work for his field?
9) Short commute to work
I'd like to be with-in 2 hours of the beach if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:36 AM

97 posts, read 616,268 times
I'm able to spend about the same on a home and honestly its a little difficult to find something decent for that price in certain areas. DC, Richmond, and Hampton Roads are pretty much out of the question eliminating the 2 hour drive to the beach.

You could try Franklin, Emproia, South Hill, or Gloucestor areas to be within 2 hours, have any land, and a decent house in a decent Neighborhood those are going to be your only options. Also, check out the Eastern Shore, never know... you could get lucky there but that would ruin any shopping or after 9 activities barring a trip across the Bay Bridge.

Out of VA, but maybe Moyock or South Mills, NC. Very boring but a good priced safe community, and within 30-45 min of beach.

1) varies by city/community
2)ODU, William & Mary, CNU, VCU, GMU, VT, UVA, U of Rich., VMI, Wash & Lee, Liberty, .... good schools all over the state.
3)Richmond, VA Beach, Ches., Fredricksburg, all way above $150k
Roanoke, Lynchburg, Southside, Charlottesville 150-175K nets a nice home
4) any of #3 cities
5) NOVA, VA Beach great for kids, richmond good, roanoke & cville ok, lynchburg fair,
6) Must be a statewide thing... no prob there
7) Welcome to VA, Richmond south anyway
8) No prob. Could do those anywhere
9) varies by neighborhood i guess
10) Good Luck for price range. try the mentioned areas

Hope this helps you.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,354 times
You will most likely have to consider towns in western virginia near the mountains, or just cross the border into the carolinas....ain't much cheap in virginia anymore; and if the town is cheap it will be podunk!! lol

Old 07-03-2007, 10:36 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
NOt to be Debbie Downer or anything, but.........
Quote:
)
1)Safe, low crime
These 2 criteria put you out in ALOT of the US not just VA. 10 years ago we were lucky to buy a house in PA south of pittsburg in a gREAT location with excellent schools for 148K it needed alot of updating etc... and we sold it for 210k.

In our search for relocation I have alot of the US the housing market is higher than what I thought. ESP in areas with really good schools and low crime and a healthy economy. That's waht people want and so the more that moe there the higher the housing cost go.

so under 200k in a great area...anywhere is going to be hard to find.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
Outside of VA, you might want to try Raleigh, NC area. You can still buy a decent single family home for $175k in certain areas of Raleigh and outside of Raleigh. We have a great economy and some of the better school systems in the country here. I just moved from Northern Va last year and love it here so far.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Check a little closer in the Richmond suburbia area.... I seem to recall seeing things in that price range there but can't attest to the schools or crime etc.... Seemed they were in decent counties and areas, though certainly NOT mansions...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM

72 posts, read 297,126 times
[quote=beckycat;981211]I've done lots and lots of research about the state. My husband is 36 and I'm 35. We have 2 children, daughter 16 and son 13. I'm looking for an area that:
1) Safe, low crime
3) suburban, but houses have some space (at least 1/4-1/2 acre up to 1 acre) I'm looking to spend about $150K-$175K on a house.

I think you may be able to find something in Chesterfield County. I'm not 100% sure but maybe the older developments like Brandermill- the lots aren't big but it's a big development surrounding a really pretty lake with walking trails around it. And lots of community stuff, tons of conveniences. Schools are considered quite good. You can drive to beaches- VA Beach which is really developed but it's the ocean... Also can take trips to DC.

They may be a little higher than 175K, but things are a little slower now- a buyers market so you may find motivated buyers. I think the zip is 23112.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Waterboy,
That's most likely what we are going to do. My sister wants us closer to PA, but we really like the Raleigh area best. We're going to have to make a move soon because the prices in NC are steadily climbing.
Thanks for the input from everyone else. It doesn't sound too promising in VA. We have to be able to get work too. We thought about Willamsburg or Chesapeake but the prices have gone up too much. We really like how close those areas are to the beach. We also checked out the suburbs of Richmond.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 PM

97 posts, read 616,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Waterboy,
That's most likely what we are going to do. My sister wants us closer to PA, but we really like the Raleigh area best. We're going to have to make a move soon because the prices in NC are steadily climbing.
Thanks for the input from everyone else. It doesn't sound too promising in VA. We have to be able to get work too. We thought about Willamsburg or Chesapeake but the prices have gone up too much. We really like how close those areas are to the beach. We also checked out the suburbs of Richmond.
Just in case you weren't aware.... Raleigh isn't close to the beach, so you're contradicting yourself or still unsure what you want.

That far away from the beach, SW VA is prettier and cheaper with about the same income level. Good luck wherever you may end up.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Jballa,
If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them. It just seems like everything in VA is out of my price range. I do want to be close to the beach, but I may have to compromise if I can't find anything in my price range. I like both areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia