Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:27 PM

14 posts, read 82,254 times

Advertisements

Hai Iam 30 and gng to start my job at staunton by october 2010. My wife would also be joining me by november. We are looking for a safe palce to live. We are new to Virginia itself. We were studying in California and will be moving to staunton now.

We both are from India. We really would like to have a safe and secured place to live. I have gone thru website about staunton. Though the reviews say good about it. It also says that there are gang problems and crimes in there too. And they specified few places to avoid.

I am really not sure of which place to choose to live? Is it staunton, waynesboro, or fisherville?

We are expecting to rent a house which should be safe, secure, comfortable and inexpensive. Right now we dont have a car and would be getting it once we moved to Virginia.

Can any one help about it please? Really we dont have time. I need to start by oct. But not sure of a good palce to live.

Also I would like to know is there any Indian stores nearby?

I would appreciate any kind of suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepa10 View Post
Hai Iam 30 and gng to start my job at staunton by october 2010. My wife would also be joining me by november. We are looking for a safe palce to live. We are new to Virginia itself. We were studying in California and will be moving to staunton now.

We both are from India. We really would like to have a safe and secured place to live. I have gone thru website about staunton. Though the reviews say good about it. It also says that there are gang problems and crimes in there too. And they specified few places to avoid.

I am really not sure of which place to choose to live? Is it staunton, waynesboro, or fisherville?

We are expecting to rent a house which should be safe, secure, comfortable and inexpensive. Right now we dont have a car and would be getting it once we moved to Virginia.

Can any one help about it please? Really we dont have time. I need to start by oct. But not sure of a good palce to live.

Also I would like to know is there any Indian stores nearby?

I would appreciate any kind of suggestions.
Hello, and welcome to Virginia! I live in Staunton, so hopefully I can offer some valuable info. If your job is in Staunton, I wouldn't hesitate to just live in town. The reports of gang activity are widely overblown. This is a small town area after all. Nothing compared to SoCal. The majority of Staunton is nice and safe except for a few extremely isolated areas. Us Rt. 250 divides the city, and it is generally north of 250 that has some of the nicest neighborhoods, with exception of a few apartment complexes. But even there, you wold not experience too many problems.

I don't know exactly where you will be working, but Fishersville is where the local hospital is for the Staunton/Waynesboro area, and is 99% residential. No real town center. But it is a nice area, just blah. Taxes in the county are less expensive though, but the entire area is very affordable compared to CA I'm sure.

I'm afraid you're out of luck for Indian stores in the area. There is a new Indian restaurant downtown, maybe you could ask the owner where they get their goods once you arrive. This area isn't the most diverse in the state. For that you would need to go to the DC suburbs, or Richmond. But there are foreigners in the area, several of which I know, and none have ever complained about discrimination, so I wouldn't worry. Charlottesville, which is 40 minutes east on i64 might have more of what you're looking for. There are a few grocery stores that sell international foods. The most well known is Foods Of All Nations. Don't hesitate to ask any further questions, and good luck with the move and new job!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 AM

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. I am happy to see your reply. Do you have any suggestion where I could look for apartments in staunton ? can you specify me some areas so I could look for? Do correct me if I am wrong. R u meaning to say fisherville is best compared to staunton? I feel as I dont have a car right now, would it be ok to live in staunton itself.

Tell me more about staunton and the places where I could look for apartments? Is it good to rent apartments or individual homes? As you tell I have to look north of 250, But I dont know any areas in staunton and what areas fall into that. So if you could help me I will be happy

Old 09-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. I am happy to see your reply. Do you have any suggestion where I could look for apartments in staunton ? can you specify me some areas so I could look for? Do correct me if I am wrong. R u meaning to say fisherville is best compared to staunton? I feel as I dont have a car right now, would it be ok to live in staunton itself.

Tell me more about staunton and the places where I could look for apartments? Is it good to rent apartments or individual homes? As you tell I have to look north of 250, But I dont know any areas in staunton and what areas fall into that. So if you could help me I will be happy
I'm not saying one is better than the other, I just prefer Staunton, as it is the historical center of Augusta county and has a lot more character than Fishersville and Waynesboro combined. It boils down to where exactly you work and what is most convenient for you.

There are two new and pretty nice apartment buildings close to the i81 interchange. Frontier Ridge Apartments Info | Facebook

Big Sky Apartments, Staunton, VA

Also if you want to rent a house, the local classified sections will probably be your best bet. Both of these papers overlap into each others territory, and both cover Fishersville. newsleader.com | The News Leader | Staunton news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Staunton, Virginia

Home | News Virginian

I would reccomend getting a apartment first as that is usually easier to get into and then out of if you need to. It would also let you get to know the area better so you could focus on where exactly would fit you best. The area is small, so you could likely commute to wherever you work easily no matter where you live in town. Just for reference, Fishersville is 5 minutes east of Staunton, and Waynesboro is 5 minutes east of Fishersville. Hope this helps!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Thank you so much. I too saw about big sky apartments and frontier in google. I think big sky is little expensive than the other. I just emailed to them regarding rent . I am not sure of the frontier ridge bcz most of thereviews talk high of Big sky. I dont know which one to choose. Big sky It says 825 for 2Br and 2 Bath apartment.I really would like to know whetehr the charges for big sky includes the utilities.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. I too saw about big sky apartments and frontier in google. I think big sky is little expensive than the other. I just emailed to them regarding rent . I am not sure of the frontier ridge bcz most of thereviews talk high of Big sky. I dont know which one to choose. Big sky It says 825 for 2Br and 2 Bath apartment.I really would like to know whetehr the charges for big sky includes the utilities.
I honestly do not know about utilities being included or not in the rent. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. Even renting from a private individual, usually only water might be included. I doubt a large apt complex actually would include utilities. I'm 100% positive you will have to pay for electricity. Most likely water too.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks. But do you know about this apartment? Could you suggest some good apartment if you can please? Bcz I am not in a position to give morethan 1000$ per month for apartment. I am concerend about my wife thats why I wanted to go there. But if its going to cost me emore. Can you suggest some nice, cozy, good , safe and inexpensive apartment ?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks. But do you know about this apartment? Could you suggest some good apartment if you can please? Bcz I am not in a position to give morethan 1000$ per month for apartment. I am concerend about my wife thats why I wanted to go there. But if its going to cost me emore. Can you suggest some nice, cozy, good , safe and inexpensive apartment ?
Wow, I had no idea they were that expensive. Yikes! This is going to sound dumb, but I honestly don't know much about the complexes here in town. Some to avoid are Springhill Village, Elizabeth Miller Gardens, and Farrier Court. These are known locally as the more ghetto, crime ridden complexes. Although it's next to Farrier Court, Woodlee Terrace might be just ok for you. There are also a ton of old houses that have been converted into apartments that are cozy and nice. For these though you have to rely on the classifieds. The harrisonburg or Charlottesville craiglist section usually has some listings for Staunton and Waynesboro too. I know a move like this has to be stressful, and I wish I had all the answers, but I do wish you luck!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 AM

Thanks. i already gone thru craigslist? But just scared of the independent houses? Bcz I dont know much about the area I dont want to take risk? Do you have any idea about frontier ridge apartments? Most of the reviews says not to move in. But others say its ok.

Also I would like to ask you onething that is do you ahve any idea how much it would cost for water and electricity for a couple living in an apartment say its of average use? That too with winter approaching how much it would cost for electricity? Do you have any idea?

I saw big sky too but its little expensive but looks good. They ask for 35$ for appliction itself. So I am just waiting to see will I get any good apartment? Just trying my chances?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 AM

Hey do you know this area - 204 E Beverley St., Staunton,VA , located downtown by the Blackfriar's Theater and a block from MBC. Is it a good area? Can you please tell me? If you dont mind can I ask you something else too..... I have seen lot of replies for so many questions posted. But why I am not getting any reply from anyone else other than you. I am happy that atleast I am getting reply from you. But I felt I am the one who is from a far of continent and wanted to know the ideas of people who live there in Staunton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia