Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM

430 posts, read 918,984 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm thinking about moving to a small town in SW, VA for a short stay (initially 3 months more or less), to kind of get a 'flavor' of what a small town in America is like, I know they look beautiful to say the least...; and also to save some rent (I'm currently living in northern VA paying close to 2k a month). My job requires a lot of intl communication, mostly via Internet, so, good and reliable internet service would be very important.

Looking at the following counties:
Lee, Wise, Dickenson,Russell,Scott,Washington,
Smyth,Wythe,Grayson,Carrol,Pulaski. Without any deep knowledge of any of them, how would I pick one among them (yes, I intend to drive over to get some first-hand impression as well ...).

In addition, I would prefer a county that does not have some big government institutions or major corp presence... along the reverse side of this dimension, what sort of industries do these counties have (residents livelihood depends on...)?

Would it be a challenge to find a short-term lease? Though I'm open to lease from a family I'm a bit relunctant on the possibility of inconveniece to the family.

Thank you very much.

Oh, on pie or cake, I'm all for pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
That's what I want to do and hopefully, I'll be able to next summer. I have a few of the same counties in mind as you do but others as well. I will have two dogs with me though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what responses you get as I plan my future temporary home in SW VA so I can decide just exactly where I'd like to plant myself when I retire.

Of course, before retirement is an option as well. I'll just have to find another job, but that would be okay too.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 PM

Hey KewGee,

I'll pave the way for you In all earnestness I hope to it would work.

And I forgot to add, that specific region would allow me to drive to WV (to the north), KY (to the west), TN and NC (to the south) over weekends to learn more about these states (so probably along the way I'll become a more qualified American citizen you never know).

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
I'm not sure how much help I can provide since I don't live in SWVA, but my dad and stepmom live in Bristol which is not a small town but does have the Bristol Speedway, lots of restaurants, REALLY low housing prices, not much in the way of shopping. I have a brother who lives in Wise and one who lives in Pound - both small towns which pretty much depend on the coal mining industry and the same for Dickenson County. They seem to be friendly towns and also have very reasonable housing prices. Last year I bought 10 acres in Scott County near Mendota because it was the most beautiful countryside I could imagine... and at a wonderful price. The people in the area are so hospitable and friendly! Though it is rural, it is only 20 minutes from Bristol and also close to Kingsport and Johnson City TN.
A small town I might recommend is Abingdon, VA which is quaint, historical, and attractive. I love going over there and walking around, visiting the theater, and eating at the local restaurants.
Good luck with your move!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 AM

Very informative. Thank you very much. Are South Carolina beaches more attractive?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Well...though I love it here, it is VERY hot and humid in the spring, summer, and fall, has VERY high housing prices, has ever-increasing traffic conjestion problems, and that yearly hurricane season to deal with. Other than that (LOL), we do have the beaches, lots to do for all ages, lots of small towns, and very friendly people.
As for prices of homes and land: here, I could easily sell my extra 1/2 acre lot for $50,000 or more while I just bought my 10 1/2 acres in Scott County for $35,000. Here a 3 bdrm./2bath house on 1/4 (or less) of an acres would sell for $225,000 up to $700,000 while in Bristol I could buy the same size/age/quality home for $85,000 up to $150,000 depending on the area. Living on/near the coast has its appeal, but it isn't cheap!
If you have any other questions about this area or SWVA, feel free to ask or PM me.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme2010 View Post
Hey KewGee,

I'll pave the way for you In all earnestness I hope to it would work.

And I forgot to add, that specific region would allow me to drive to WV (to the north), KY (to the west), TN and NC (to the south) over weekends to learn more about these states (so probably along the way I'll become a more qualified American citizen you never know).

Cheers,

Don

The states you mention above are the ones I've checked out on the internet and because of one thing or another, I've decided VA is where I want to be.

I've been told by some the Appalachia counties are not so great, are trashed, and the like. Since having my very short visit in June, I like the counties of Floyd, Grayson, and Carroll the best so far.

I know it's going to take a 3-month stay there before I can definitely decide my potential future in VA.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:44 PM

Many thanks, I'll do more research as well.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 PM

I did some research on "Appalachia counties",
on "...Carroll the best so far", care to elaborate a bit on that? In terms of ...

Thks.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme2010 View Post
I did some research on "Appalachia counties",
on "...Carroll the best so far", care to elaborate a bit on that? In terms of ...

Thks.
Do you mean on the Appalachia counties or on Carroll County which isn't considered an Appalachia county?

Here's a thread I started way back when on the Appalachia counties.

//www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...questions.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia