Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 6,120 times

Advertisements

I currently live in CT (born & raised) & am looking to relocate to either VA or SC w/ my 21 yr old daughter. We are sick of the winters & the cost of living is too high. We love the ocean but hate the beaches here in CT, as they are filthy.
We would like to find an area that is safe & affordable in either VA or SC & not more than 30-45 min from the beach. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely-Freezing & miserable in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:18 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrn2sng73 View Post
I currently live in CT (born & raised) & am looking to relocate to either VA or SC w/ my 21 yr old daughter. We are sick of the winters & the cost of living is too high. We love the ocean but hate the beaches here in CT, as they are filthy.
We would like to find an area that is safe & affordable in either VA or SC & not more than 30-45 min from the beach. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely-Freezing & miserable in CT
Can you define what is "affordable" to you?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 6,120 times
Compared to CT, anything is really affordable. LOL. I would say 2 bedroom rents that are around 800-1000 per month. Places to eat at that don't cost $40 per person for say...a burger, fries & couple drinks? (dining out part is more geared toward my daughter) It is very difficult to be able to afford much in CT especially for the younger generation. Being able to go to the beach without having to pay $15.00 for parking each time, or a season parking permit that is under $60.00.....My daughter is working toward her BS in criminal justice & I am looking to begin my career w as a marriage/fam therapist & get licensed in the state I settle in. Funds are especially tight while paying off college....Hope that helps & thank you.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,169 times
Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina would be your best bet.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,550 times
Myrtle Beach has a ridiculously high crime rate.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrn2sng73 View Post
Compared to CT, anything is really affordable. LOL. I would say 2 bedroom rents that are around 800-1000 per month.
I'd suggest South Carolina rather than Virginia for affordability. Look further south than Myrtle Beach at Murrell's Inlet. Or if you like the Charleston area, try Summerville. Or look at the retirement communities in Bluffton/Hilton Head.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Myrtle Beach has a ridiculously high crime rate.
"ridiculously high crime" ??

I'm going have to be convinced of that.

Any Links ??

I know there are some problems there, but other than a little on the news now and then, I find the place pretty trustworthy myself.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
"ridiculously high crime" ??

I'm going have to be convinced of that.

Any Links ??

I know there are some problems there, but other than a little on the news now and then, I find the place pretty trustworthy myself.
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Myrtle Beach makes 'Most Dangerous Places to Live' list - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 AM

OK, as long as they are true reports, I'm convinced.

We go just about every year, stay in Northern Myrtle Beach, ride around the whole area while we are there, personally never had an once of trouble, don't see any evidence of it (no bars on windows, doors, etc) and find the Hotels very trusting with a surprising amount of freedom and privileges. We've even been downtown at late hours to boot.

I've never witnessed any crime or vandalism, and find the people very friendly to boot. The worst thing about the place personally, is those "salesman" trying to sell you a timeshare, lol.

Pesty, yes, but I personally have no real problem dealing with them.

Now, will it stop us from going?, no.

But I will keep it in mind while we are there.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 AM

It's probably fine to visit as a tourist, but it's by no means a safe place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia