Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family seeking information on Charlottesville, Richmond, Virginia Beach, 450k housing budget, good public schools, outdoor sports, family activities, historical homes, neighborhoods to visit

Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM

150 posts, read 694,177 times

Advertisements

Hello ~ my husband and (mid-40s and mid-30s) and kids (4 and 2) are researching places to relocate to in the next year or so. Currently we live on the TX gulf coast and are seeking a change. The public schools here are awful and, IMO, the summers are too. Not to mention the ever-present threat of hurricanes. I lived in Alexandria for a few years and loved it, but we can't afford to buy a home there now. Plus, it seems ... snooty.

We are both self-employed and can live anywhere. We have decided we would prefer the East Coast, someplace w/in a reasonable drive to the beach and not crazy expensive.

We are planning a visit to Va. in Sept. or Oct. We definately want to check out Charlottesville. Richmond also seems very nice (but public schools, from my research, seem not good.) Va. Beach is appealing b/c of ... the BEACH! But crime seems to be an issue? And I'm not getting a vibe that there is a strong sense of community...

So, during our trip, we would like to spend a few days each in C'ville, Richmond, and Va. Beach to get a feel for each area. I would like suggestions about which neighborhoods to check out or drive through (Not interested in the touristy stuff at this point!)

We prefer NOT to be stuck in a) a subdivision or 'bedroom community' or b) the country. I would describe us as laid back, unpretentious, and uninterested in jockeying for social position. But, we both enjoy playing tennis, would like to have friends (of course!), and require good public schools, safety, and plenty of things to keep us and our kids busy. We love historical homes and being w/in walking distance (or a short drive) to activities. Our housing range is $450K, give or take.

Any suggestions or advice? We have already visited (and decided against) two other cities in NC and MD. We are seriously looking for the ideal place to settle down and raise our family. Our son starts Kindergarten soon, so that has put us on a fast-track.

Thank you so much for any opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
As far as good public schools, the city of Richmond itself is lacking unfortunately (the suburban schools are among the best in Virginia). Otherwise, there are some really great areas that you'd probably enjoy with plenty of character... Richmond has a swath of historical homes and districts. There's a great outdoor tennis facility in the city tucked in next to some really neat neighborhoods. You'd be about 2 hours tops from the beach. You're also further inland so there's more insulation from hurricanes, though Virginia certainly isn't without its share of them.

You could also check out Rockett's Landing which is a great new urbanism development which straddles the City of Richmond/Henrico County line. It's a still about 5 years from build-out, but will offer a vast array of amenities in a riverfront community. Many of the rowhouses will be built on the Henrico side, which typically means better schools. You'd be not more than 5 minutes from downtown and 10 minutes from major cultural amenities etc etc in an urban though not authentically historic environment. Just thought I'd suggest it
Rocketts Landing (http://rockettsvillage.com/index.asp - broken link)

The Williamsburg area may also be an option to consider?

Anyways, good luck!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
Hello ~
We are planning a visit to Va. in Sept. or Oct. We definately want to check out Charlottesville. Richmond also seems very nice (but public schools, from my research, seem not good.) Va. Beach is appealing b/c of ... the BEACH! But crime seems to be an issue? And I'm not getting a vibe that there is a strong sense of community...

We prefer NOT to be stuck in a) a subdivision or 'bedroom community' or b) the country. I would describe us as laid back, unpretentious, and uninterested in jockeying for social position. But, we both enjoy playing tennis, would like to have friends (of course!), and require good public schools, safety, and plenty of things to keep us and our kids busy. We love historical homes and being w/in walking distance (or a short drive) to activities. Our housing range is $450K, give or take.

Isle-girl, Virginia Beach has some great public schools. you can check them out at GreatSchools.net. And we do have the beach. We don't have the historical homes (mostly), but we have some fun, funky neighborhoods near the beach. There is a beach on the chesapeak bay, called chicks beach, that is pretty community oriented. Your price range could get you a 2000 to 2400 sf home. Not huge, but liveable. It isn't as touristy, and is more where the locals congregate. there is another area down closer to the strip called Shadowlawn that has a lot to offer. Homes are more cottagy, but there are new larger homes going in as well.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

Old 07-09-2007, 07:32 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
Most of Virginia Beach is not touristy at all!! I moved here 4 years ago from Northern Virginia - Fairfax/Centreville area - and was quite surprised about that. You really only get tourists right on the oceanfront.

Anywhere in Hampton Roads is probably just 30-40 min from the beach.
Honestly.... we live here and never go to the beach!! We like to go to the oceanfront about once a year to walk around, but we do it in April or May before the tourists come.

I actually feel that this area is very community oriented. Much more so than Northern VA. The crime here is no worse than any mid size city. There are pockets of bad areas all over, but you learn where not to go - just like any other city. We do seem to have alot of festivals and things going on all year long. There is alot of history here too.

I don't know a whole lot about Charlottesville, but I never did like Richmond for some reason.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Isle_Gal

I am now living in western Colorado, after living in Virginia Beach ( VB ) for 16 years. If you are looking to get away from the humidity & hurricanes, then VB is definitely NOT the place for you. I don't know much about Richmond, but I'll say that just driving thru Richnmond, I was always glad to be out of there. Charlottesville is one of the nicest places in Virginia. Read this report from ****.com

http://www.****.com/images/reports/pdfs/CharlottesvilleVA.pdf (broken link)

good luck in your search...Franco

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
Default Visit VA

I think you are wise to come here to visit the state before you make up your mind on where is a good place to live. VA is a diverse state. I think Alexandria is very special with its history, access to DC, but its not a place to raise a family, in my opinion. Charlottesville is a nice place to settle in as its close to Richmond, DC. It may be more pretentious than you are familiar with in Texas. For you children, be sure to locate in the Richmond suburbs for
better schools. Va Beach has lots of military families, which tends to make the area very transient. The beach is nice but its been built up tremendously over the past years, Va Beach is now the largest city in VA. The advantages of the places you have chosen is location. There is so much to do here within a short drive. If you are interesting in other areas of the state, please let me know.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Hello ~ my husband and (mid-40s and mid-30s) and kids (4 and 2) are researching places to relocate to in the next year or so. Currently we live on the TX gulf coast and are seeking a change. The public schools here are awful and, IMO, the summers are too. Not to mention the ever-present threat of hurricanes. I lived in Alexandria for a few years and loved it, but we can't afford to buy a home there now. Plus, it seems ... snooty.

We are both self-employed and can live anywhere. We have decided we would prefer the East Coast, someplace w/in a reasonable drive to the beach and not crazy expensive.

So, during our trip, we would like to spend a few days each in C'ville, Richmond, and Va. Beach to get a feel for each area. I would like suggestions about which neighborhoods to check out or drive through (Not interested in the touristy stuff at this point!)

Any suggestions or advice? We have already visited (and decided against) two other cities in NC and MD. We are seriously looking for the ideal place to settle down and raise our family. Our son starts Kindergarten soon, so that has put us on a fast-track.

I think the surrounding area of Charlottesville might work for you. Schools are great in Albemarle County, beautiful homes in the area (many fall into your price range) and there are plenty of areas that are country-ish without being "stuck out in the country" and are certainly not "bedroom community" or subdivisions.....

Yes, there are some pretty pretentious folks about and a social heirarchy, but if you don't wish to play into that circle you dont' have to. Plenty of clubs to play tennis or whatever, marvelous history and plenty to do around town.

Can't really compare it to Richmond or the Tidewater too much as I haven't lived in either of those two places, but Charlottesville is a fabulous place to live and raise a family, though I'd recommend the surrounding county and not the city.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:31 PM

150 posts, read 694,177 times
Default Thanks for all of the great info.!

Thanks for all of the feedback, it will definitely come in handy in planning our trip. We are really hoping that during this Va. trip, one of these three cities or surrounding areas will just feel right for us.

A couple of posters mentioned specific places (neighborhoods) to check out in Va. Beach and Richmond, which we will make sure to see (I'm compiling a list!). What about C'ville? Someone suggested Albermarle County, rather than the city. But the county is huge! Can anyone narrow down neighborhoods -- or even "western" county or "northern" county as being lively, safe, w/good schools?

Thanks again ~

Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the feedback, it will definitely come in handy in planning our trip. We are really hoping that during this Va. trip, one of these three cities or surrounding areas will just feel right for us.

A couple of posters mentioned specific places (neighborhoods) to check out in Va. Beach and Richmond, which we will make sure to see (I'm compiling a list!). What about C'ville? Someone suggested Albermarle County, rather than the city. But the county is huge! Can anyone narrow down neighborhoods -- or even "western" county or "northern" county as being lively, safe, w/good schools?

Thanks again ~
Sorry.....

I'd check Crozet, though it may be a little further out, but it's a straight shot on Rt 250 West out of C'ville. It's building up, the school's are great, it's convenient to I-64 and it's beautiful.

Also drive out to the areas back in Earlysville (where I grew up), Free Union, White Hall, and maybe Ivy (though probably too expensive). It might be a bit tricky mapping a route through all of those, but with today's technology who knows???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia