Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,527 times

Advertisements

So I live about 9 miles from exit 126 to 95 in Spotsylvania.

I will be leaving my job in Quantico, VA which I figure wasn't too bad a commute for most locals.

The job is going to be paying me about $36k more per year so I am not going to be fussy about the drive.

Still, I would like to be as intelligent about my new commute as possible.

First of all, I am not sure if my new employer will be offering me a parking space (I doubt it based on past experiences).

If they do, I would probably just drive in.

My next thought would be just to drive to the Springfield Metro and take the Blue Line to McPherson Station (NW DC) where it is just a short walk to work.

Alternatively, I was thinking of parking at one of the Park and Rides in Spotsy and if there is some bus available to the Fredericksburg VRE that could work...or park at the Fredericksburg VRE stop etc?

I am trying to work this out so that it costs me the least amount of money to get to DC.

I am kind of in sticker shock when I try to figure what the cost of VRE + Metro would be for the month.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM

430 posts, read 919,143 times
Ahe, if not too late with the offer package, try to include daily parking allowance into the deal, probably a desirable situation provided traffic for driving to work and back to home is not bad. Another option of driving to a sub metro and park there is not a bad one, however, you may encounter all kinds of passengers, meant on negative behavior (not exactly like DC Red Line especially NW portion) ...

Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,241 times
If you do drive, leave work at 2:45... you can usually make it home by 4. The reason is that the HOV lanes are open to all traffic until 3:30, and if you can get on them before 3, you can generally get to the end of them before the time runs out. The later you leave, the worse it'll be to drive home, unless you're willing to work until after 6 pm, but even then traffic is usually still a mess.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 PM

257 posts, read 1,131,132 times
My Uncle live in Fredericksburg off of Route 1 and Harrison Rd. and works in DC. Your best bet is drive 5-10 mins, hop on the train and relax,read a paper, take a snooze for the 1:10 min trip. yeah its long but its not your gas, not your patience with traffic. He loves it and would never drive again he said. So im pretty sure that would be your best way. You figure your a good 50 miles out. and traffic does no move. So let the train do all the work

Old 07-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Thanks all for your time and thoughts. I am convinced that the VRE/Metro is going to be the best course of action for me.

Now it is time to fine tune it.

I have it all figured out for my entry into DC, but was wondering about the Fredericksburg VRE stop in the morning.

I have heard horror stories of parking not being available in the morning.

I also notice that there are multiple VRE lots in Fredericksburg and was wondering if one was more ideal to take than another.

It seems that the position's hours are going to be a very inflexible 9 am to 6 pm.

I have also noticed that there are a few commuter lots in Spotsylvania (I actually went to one to try and determine what it was for), but all I could determine was that it was for Vanpools etc.

I "heard" that there are buses running out of there, but no one could tell me whether or not they were for the VRE or for DC.

When I went to Redirecting..., the map revealed buses at some of those locations, but would not indicate what the buses were for.

Any ideas on any of this?

Thanks again!

Last edited by va_lucky; 07-17-2007 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 01:21 PM

I would have to say that everything I have found out about my commute as of late is rediculous.

First of all there are 3 lots in Spotsylvania, but no one seems to know what they are for (even people in them).

Secondly, I called commuter connections from a 703 number and it is precluded from calls!

Third, I hear that if you are not at the VRE to take the VRE out by 610 am you wont be able to park and get to pay $4 per day to park in some parking lot!!

I am appauled!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,241 times
I wonder if the 'Fred' would take you to the VRE station early enough?

Official Web Site of the City of Fredericksburg, Virginia

It starts running at 7:30 am. They should really use those busses to run between the commuter lots and the station...

But you're right about those lots. They are for people who carpool (a place for people to drive to and meet up before making the long drive to work together), or van pools... Maybe some buses, but I'm not sure.

Good luck.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
I wonder if the 'Fred' would take you to the VRE station early enough?

Official Web Site of the City of Fredericksburg, Virginia

It starts running at 7:30 am. They should really use those busses to run between the commuter lots and the station...

But you're right about those lots. They are for people who carpool (a place for people to drive to and meet up before making the long drive to work together), or van pools... Maybe some buses, but I'm not sure.

Good luck.
I seriously wonder about the FRED to, but after calling FRED, they assert that FRED doesn't touch any of the commuter lots or run shuttles to the VRE.

Not so sure if I believe this.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,078 times
Visiting in Spotsyvania VA .. the kids want to go to the spy museum as I am not familiar with DC can anyone tell me is there a place to ge the metro near here? and is there a direct route to the museum?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencooks60 View Post
Visiting in Spotsyvania VA .. the kids want to go to the spy museum as I am not familiar with DC can anyone tell me is there a place to ge the metro near here? and is there a direct route to the museum?
Probably the best way is to drive to Springfield, and find a metro stop with parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: