Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,180 times

Advertisements

I have stopped for a night in this town on several occasions. The little downtown is charming. Is it as nice a place as it seems? Anyone live there to tell me about day to day life? Good and not so good things. Maybe a retirement place for us. How cold and snow in winter? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 AM

59 posts, read 397,364 times
I would not choose Wytheville as a place to retire but that's just me. It can get very cold in the winter and you may see quite a bit of snow accumulation. There isn't very much to do there and there are really no good hospitals which are very close. The cost of living there is really low, however, so you may be able to find a really nice place for much less than anywhere in Roanoke, for example.

If you are really considering southwest Virginia, maybe you can look into Blacksburg, Roanoke or Christiansburg as a place to live. All of these areas, however, can get really cold in the winter with a lot of snow.

You didn't specify what interests you are looking for or what kind of town you want? If you give more information, you might get more responses.

The best of luck in finding a nice retirement city!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM

174 posts, read 528,420 times
Wytheville is a nice enough town but really there isn't a whole lot to do there, in my opinion.

I lived the first 30 years of my life in Wythe County and honestly don't have any desire to move back there. The only reason I would consider it would be on account of my family there.

Being retirement age you might really want to consider the lack of a good hospital in Wytheville. My mom and dad both seek their medical attention in Roanoke. That can be quite a drive when you are sick or if you are going to the hospital to visit a loved one.

As far as entertainment goes, there isn't much. There is a nice new movie theater there and WCC might put on a few plays a year. For a week or so in the summer they have a festival that is kind of fun too. It always seemed to me that most people socialized at church.

If you have other questions about Wytheville I will be glad to try and answer them for you!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the help. We are somewhat young(50) and in good health. Is there no hospital in Wytheville, or just a small basic one?

A town of excitment is not needed, as we are homebody's. Just need basic shopping, and a handful of simple places to eat.

I know the town is mostly a highway stop. This is how I found it. Then I ventured into downtown. Thought it was cute.

How much snow? How cold can it get??

Old 07-18-2007, 03:43 PM

The hospital is Wytheville is a small one. Most people who have something serious transfer to a Roanoke or Winston-Salem hospital.

If you like simple dining choices you will find that in Wytheville. There are serveral Mom and Pop country food places, Skeeters Hot Dogs is certainly a favorite, and Peking is where to go for chinese. You have the choice of SuperDollar, Food Lion, and WalMart for groceries. There is also Kings Produce where you can get a variety of produce for a good price.

Winter can be quite cold there and you will have snow and ice. They are good about getting the roads cleaned up quickly though. Also, the cold temps never seem to stick around for days at a time. Usually the snow melts away within a few days. Also, it isn't bleak for days at a time. I live in Indiana now and have found that it looks gray here for days on end.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 PM

I didn't answer clearly about how cold it can get. I have seen it down below zero but that isn't the norm. I would say that lows in the 20s-30s and highs in the 40s-50s would be pretty normal in winter.

As far as the snow goes, 8 inches is a big snow and that doesn't happen real often.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 AM

VAlover. Thanks for the information. You seem to know a lot. Did you once live there? About the hospital, Since I am youngish, with no current health issues, I just wanted to make sure they had a hospital. A place that could handle a broken bone, or burn. Ok for that??

I usually do the breakfast at Shoneys, and there is a pretty good mexican place I like to go. The inside has brick walls, and it is simple but good. For lunch I would just go to Dairy Queen.

I live in Northern Indiana now, so the winters sound not that bad. Could you please tell me about the summer temps.? 90/65 sound close? I will be going back in the next month or two, this time, not just passing through, but it will be my destination for a week or so. I am not really sure what it is about the place, but I just like it and want to learn more. Thanks, you have been a big help.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:06 PM

I am from Wythe County and still own a home there.

I now live in Southern Indiana and I would say that the winter in Wytheville is comparable to what we have here, not nearly as gloomy though. In the summer the weather is much better there than it is here. I find myself feeling cool when I go back home in the summer! The air here in Indiana seems much hotter to me for some reason! Generally the weather is more in the 80's in the day and 60's at night.

Wytheville Community Hospital will be fine for minor stuff.

I hope you have a great visit on your next trip to Wytheville. I like Shoney's there too and have eat my share of food from El Puerto as well! The people at both of those places of business are super nice.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:51 AM

VALover. Thanks again. And I will enjoy my next trip. Don't feel bad about the heat either, as Fort Wayne has already hit 90 15 times!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 AM

13 posts, read 49,559 times
Wytheville is the place for your family! It is absolutely great! I moved here in January from Texas and haven’t regretted a minute! The seasons are gorgeous, it’s the first summer in my lifetime I have spent without experiencing 100 degree weather. A “hot” day is mid 90’s. I worked as a Dental Assistant back home and had many offers here; always see something in the paper looking for Dental Receptionist, Insurance Claims and assistants. I went to work for the Town of Wytheville because I enjoy the perks!

I would be happy to send you some brochures on the area and town if you would like. The best thing about Wytheville is its small community feel. There is low crime, small intimate schools that pay close individual attention to the students, including Christian Academies. My 17 year old son is a Senior at Fort Chiswell High School and loves it. I love the staff. There is also George Wythe High School and I have heard nothing but glowing remarks from parents of their students. We also have two little boys, 6 and 11. They never want for anything to do on the weekends! There are various parks and hiking trails, lots of rivers and creeks in the area, Jefferson National Forest, Big Walker Mountain and Lookout (where they have mountain man storytelling and blacksmith demonstrations as well as old fashion candle making and lotion classes, art exhibits right there on the mountain crest! Beautiful! Last week we took the boys to Virginia City’s Gem Mine Cowboy Days.. with western shootout show, everyone dressed in period costumes, authentic jailhouse and great little shops, they also have a sluice mine for the little kids! That’s only about 10-15 minutes from Wytheville and on the way to Big Walker Mountain Lookout, makes for a great CHEAP weekend! There is the fish hatchery, both state owned and Brackens private ponds that are in a backdrop of historical house and building and beautiful rolling hills and ancient trees where even the smallest tyke is guaranteed to catch a trophy fish! There is also a Dinner Theater (Wohlfahrt Haus) which will be showing 7 Brides for 7 Brothers soon.. I am very excited! They have a matinee which is very affordable. There is also a Safari Park which is small, privately owned and truly a gem with the little bus tours, kids LOVE it because they can hand feed Humphrey the Camel, ostriches, Humphrey’s Best Friend the Zebra, goats, monkeys, wallabees, llamas… and everyone is so nice and personable.

They have one festival after another and I cant wait until next year to start all over again! Chautauqua is GREAT fun for the whole family.. a week long festival with food, entertainment (great for families) contests and show. Then the carnival comes to town.. not like the carnivals we had in Texas.. this one is an entire weekend with some really great rides for both adults and kids. The Heritage Festival is coming up (YAY) and that is a whole week of apple butter making, blacksmithin, weaving.. if they did it back in the “old days” they are going to teach us how to do it during the festival. Everyone dresses in period costumes and are so sweet and considerate. In fact, they had the whole “may-pole” at the festival in May. There is an Indian Village and Museum that has the All Nations Gathering and Pow-Wow.. yep, full head dress dancing contests, rituals, great authentic food.. lots of fun!

The churches are great. We have been attending a young church (under a year old) in Fort Chiswell. I am 35 and I was considered the “old” lady of the group! It is refreshing to see so many teens on fire for Christ! We really enjoy it, it is very inclusive, lots of sharing and fellowship. There are many churches of many denominations and all are welcoming to young families! They also have the Christian Teen Fellowship offered at the school (prior to class and not a school function for clarity, optional!)

The housing is very affordable, we recently purchased a home 12+ acres, 3 bedroom cedar sided cabin with acre pond, creek runs through the property, small guesthouse, rolling hills, covered in hard wood trees, orchard, artesian well, two story.. really great place for 175,000 and they came down from 225,000! Now Is the time to buy if you can. There are some great little houses for rent however and apartments, but very few are listed online. Your best bet is to take a weekend and come on up, get a feel and look around.

Another perk.. the recreation dept.. WOW! It’s the greatest place for families in Southwest Virginia. 6 lane Olympic swimming pool, waterpark with a slide and fountains for the kids, therapy pool, hot tub, basketball courts, racquet ball court, climbing wall, teen center with all the different video games, tvs, computers, air hokey, table tennis, teen fun nights, movie night, weight room, volley ball, team sports like soccer, swim team, softball, tball, baseball, indoor walking track, yoga, dance classes AND child care! All very reasonably priced for families (will send a brochure and price guide if you like as well as a relocation guide) WalMart is here, Lowe’s, Movie Theater, Library (awesome library), Goodys, Old Navy, StarBucks, GameStop, Food City, Food Lion, a golf course, every kind of eatery you can imagine including some AWESOME local flavors like The Log House, Snow House Caf√© and Skeeter Dogs as well as nationwide franchises like Rudy Tuesday, Applebees, Cracker Barrel and Shoney’s. The Kimono Japanese Restaurant with Hibachi Grill and Sushi Bar is wonderful. 1500 Hotel Accommodations are available for visiting family members.

Wytheville is known as “The Crossroads of America” because of its intersection of I81 and I77. Fuel prices stay well below the national average, its down to 3.33 today and diesel is under $4! The key point to its locality is.. not only are you an hour away from the rich offerings of Roanoke, you are also an hour away from Bristol Tennessee in the other direction, an hour south puts you in North Carolina with all of its historical offerings and an hour north you are in West Virginia where bluegrass festivals RULE ! So Wytheville is a centralized locations to many cultures, opportunities and family fun!

Grahamfest is coming up Labor Day weekend.. lots of fun for the whole family, I will be giving the Ghost Mansion Tours in full period costume.. yay! Lots of great music, food and fun, including air jumps for the kids and their very own stage! (three music stages with Confederate RailRoad making an appearance as well as many others) Its a little pricey but is worth it!

Josiah's GrahamFest 2008 - Feel The Spirit

Visit Wytheville! has a list of events and a little more about the attractions and offerings of the town!

**out of breath but excited about Wytheville**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia