Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

I believe there's only been one woman elected to statewide office in the history of the Commonwealth and that was over 20 years ago. Presumably half or better than half the population is female, so what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I believe there's only been one woman elected to statewide office in the history of the Commonwealth and that was over 20 years ago. Presumably half or better than half the population is female, so what gives?
I don't vote on things such as race, gender, "if I want to have a beer with (enter candidate name here)" etc, most people are the same as me.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't vote on things such as race, gender, "if I want to have a beer with (enter candidate name here)" etc, most people are the same as me.
That didn't answer the question. So you'd be happy with all 55+ white guys representing us as long as they're amicable beer partners. Sounds like folks who say "I don't see color" as long as those in charge are their color. oy vay.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Mary Sue Terry almost beat George Allen for Governor in the early '90s until she
came out strongly for gun control. Many women do not favor strong gun rights and I feel that may hurt their chances in this ultra conservative state.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That didn't answer the question. So you'd be happy with all 55+ white guys representing us as long as they're amicable beer partners. Sounds like folks who say "I don't see color" as long as those in charge are their color. oy vay.
I'm saying that I vote for someone who's socially liberal, economically libertarian and fiscally conservative. If a woman who represents those things ends up running for office, and runs against a statist, I will vote for her. There is no answer to the question because it's like your asking it in the context that we've had so many female candidates and no one has elected them for X reason. It's just not a good question.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Mary Sue Terry almost beat George Allen for Governor in the early '90s until she
came out strongly for gun control. Many women do not favor strong gun rights and I feel that may hurt their chances in this ultra conservative state.
She's the only woman ever to hold state-wide office here. There's nothing preventing the Republicans from running a pro-gun woman for office. I'm wondering if VA is the most politically mysogynistic state in the union. Perhaps women are perfectly happy letting men run things?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
As an observer of area politics for decades, I've been struck by the same thing about Virginia.

Maryland by contrast, within the past 40 years, has elected scads of women --

US Senator Barbara Mikulski, and US Congresswomen Helen Delich Bentley, Connie Morella, Beverly Byron, Gladys Noon Spellman, and Marjorie Holt.

MD Gubernatorial candidate Ellen Sauerbrey, and MD Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend.

Also the last TWO Mayors of Baltimore - Sheila Dixon and Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, and the Mayor of Frederick, Jen Dougherty.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM

326 posts, read 688,941 times
The majority of voters are older, white males, demographically. This may be the major contributing factor. At the same time I have to ask, what females have run for office recently? I can't think of any, at least not in my district. To be honest I'd be more inclined to vote for a female than a male, but they just aren't on the ballot.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Well . . . since all of them are liberal Democrats (except Morella but she may as well have been), you're right, I wouldn't vote for them. Give me a good solid conservative woman, no problem.

But that's why I live in Virginia instead of Maryland. And with all the negative press Maryland's been getting about taxes and jobs . . .

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Having read CAVA1990's past posts, it's probably futile to provide a rational analysis that doesn't fit the hysterical labeling ("VA is misogynistic!"). But I will try.

Running for a national or state-wide office is not a part-time job. It requires much personal sacrifice, which includes neglecting the spouse and the children if the candidate is married. Male candidates can sometimes afford to do this if he has a martyr of a wife. The pool of men willing to do the same is comparatively smaller.

When female candidates do well, it is generally for one of two reasons (or both). She is an "independent" (read leftist) woman who runs in a state that is dominated by an urban area with a high percentage of unmarried women and/or women without children (e.g. WA state where both senators are female -- it's a place where if you win King County, which contains Seattle, you can pretty much win the whole state). And/or she is a scion of a political dynasty (e.g. Murkowski in AK).

VA is a center-right state. Most center-right women (not to mention men), the kind who has a college degree, worked a few years, but once married, had kids and left work to care for the husband and the kids, don't relate well to the first category of female politicians. It has nothing to do with some phantom misogyny of VA.

That is why Gov. Palin was such a phenomenon in the beginning with center-right women in VA and elsewhere (the excitement at her rallies were quite something to observe) -- here was a women who seemingly came from modest backgrounds, married a "normal" guy, had more-or-less normal kids (well, it SEEMED that way at the time) and, in the meantime, worked her way up the political hierarchy by bucking the existing pecking order in AK. Whatever she may have become of late, when she first burst into the national scene, she really galvanized the "hockey moms."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia