Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,662 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family is moving to Lynchburg, VA soon after the new year. We will fixing up an old farmhouse in the 24501 zip code off a street called Victor Drive, right off the 3600 block of Old Forest Road. Any information about crime in that particular neighborhood would be greatly appreciated. We don't know what to expect. One of our new neighbors said that his outdoor building was broken into but we're hoping that was an isolated incident. Please tell me if that is wishful thinking. IF IT IS A BAD AREA, please let me know...I'm a victim of a violent crime and just want to know what to expect from this particular neighborhood as well as places to avoid in the city. THANKS SO MUCH! L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,383 times
Not a "bad area". There is an older apartment complex near there that is a little sketchy but many popular shopping spots and busy offices are along the road too. I would not worry. I have stopped at the Shell Station near there late at night and it's not scary.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,254 times
Not the best part of town by any means...but not exactly south central LA either.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Default map of crimes

Link to cool crime map.

http://media.gatewayva.com/lna/specials/crimemap/

Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,721 times
Default Court Street-Lynchberg

Hi, I'm contemplating moving to Lynchberg. How safe is it to live in the downtown area on the 1000 block of Court Street? Is it a high, med. low crime rate area? Is it a vibrant downtown area both day and night or does it shut down after dark? Any info. on Lynchberg's livability would be helpfu. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM

I would call it hood adjacent but so are some of the nicest older historic districts near downtown. Generally most crime is internal to the hood and the police are very good at catching and prosecuting.
Downtown overall is in transition and improving every year. Many new loft apts, stores and renovated buildings--and many to go to be complete. Downtown events draw many 1000's from all over town.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM

134 posts, read 331,968 times
I can't give you specific stats on where you are looking, but I live in a historic district downtown (the nicest one ). Yes, we likely have more crime than a suburban neighborhood, but I've not had an issue, and there has been nothing to make me want to move. I love being able to walk around this old city. I occasionally walk around the Court House Hill district. Court Street is usually pretty empty in the evenings b/c many of the houses on it are converted into law offices, and the hill brings it a bit above the more active aspects of downtown. Supposedly the apartments further down Court (at 7th) can be rowdy, but I've not spent enough time near there to encounter that. At tenth street, you will be closer to the fire/police department and the clock tower and churches, so you will hear those sirens and bells. I like the bells, but, [my dog and] I could do without the occasional sirens.

95% of the stores downtown still shut down completely on Sundays and evenings after 5:30, but most restaurants are now bucking that trend. While I enjoy the slower pace of that blue-law philosophy, some of the stores downtown lose my business because of that.

If your goal is to be "in the thick of things" you may want to look at a loft on Main. Oh: Try to get off-street parking. The new rules are a PITA.

Last edited by springgrl; 09-28-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM

They really need a local resident 24 hour parking program. Dumb.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,352 times
Smile thinking about moving to lynhburg virgina

just would like to know a good save area to move to around college in lynhburg virgina can someone tell me some safe area.to loive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia