Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 PM

34 posts, read 74,390 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Okay, here's the run down, and I appreciate any help I can get.

My husband and I after much conversation and prayer have decided it's time to make a drastic move. We are in our 40's and have adult children that are out of the house, and living their own lives. We've decided to re-locate to Virginia. It's not a military move, but a fresh start move.

We're not worried about employment because we can both transfer within our companies.

But, we can't decide which cities we want to seriously consider. Because we don't really know much about Virginia, we need help. There are no children in the house, so we don't really worry about school districts. But being around families would be really nice, because we have grand-children that would visit from time to time. We are considering Norfolk, Richmond, Chesapeak, Virginia Beach, Roanoke, and Hampton.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance

These are our requirements:

1. Low Crime
2. Nice neighborhoods
3. Reasonably Priced housing
4. Good Shopping
5. Lots of entertainment choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
Does geography matter?
I would pick Roanoke out of your list because I like the mountains.
I have only visited Roanoke, but I like what I have seen.
If you are an ocean person, Virginia Beach or Hampton would make more sense.

I think life is a bit easier going in the New River Valley or the Shenandoah Valley than in other parts of the state.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson2930 View Post
Hello Everyone,

We are considering Norfolk, Richmond, Chesapeak, Virginia Beach, Roanoke, and Hampton.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance

1. Low Crime
2. Nice neighborhoods
4. Good Shopping
Norfolk, Chesapeake, Va beach are part of the area known as Hampton Roads. Overall it is a more urban/developed region with a "strong" military presence. 1-5 are easily obtained but #3 is subjective so I don't know what you consider "reasonable".

Richmond also can meet all 5 with the same comment on #3. It's less urban than Hampton Roads but all ammenities you want are available along with all types of housing/rural living choices.

I have always heard good things about the Roanoke area but I have no experiences to draw on.

Good luck with your choce...

Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
I'd also consider Williamsburg if you are looking at the Hampton Roads area.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
As far as reasonably priced housing, go on real estate brokers' website for the different regions and limit the search via the price to houses you consider reasonable and see what your money will get you in the different areas.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson2930 View Post

1. Low Crime
2. Nice neighborhoods
4. Good Shopping
Not sure what you consider "entertainment", but Roanoke seems like it would fit the bill.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
I'd go with the metro-Richmond area. Tons to do here, and when you feel like a visit to the beach or mountains, they are pretty easy to get to. Also, Richmond has a very nice climate. You get all four seasons, and the temperature normally doesn't swing to the extremes.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times
If you have "prayed" about moving to a safe place where grandchildren could visit..maybe Lynchburg
would fit you. A second choice is Roanoke for sure...I'm from up north and know you like it there.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times
Sounds like your a Roanoker already!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Roanoke all the way.. I think you two sound like the perfect fit. Roanoke is laid back, has a lower cost of living than any of the other places you mentioned and has great scenery. I miss Roanoke sometimes but the job market isnt the best, it is good for empty nesters especially if you already have a job! and your grandchildren would love to visit their grandparents in the mountains. The area is very diverse when it comes to housing. One positive thing Richmond has going for it is that it is equal distance to the beach and the mountains and people like that. PM me if you have any questions about Roanoke or Richmond (grew up there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia