Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 AM

23 posts, read 89,756 times

Advertisements

Am looking to retire from MA somewhere near water since I can't afford the ocean. Have always lived near the Atlantic, but it's so prohibitive. Does Lake Gaston offer water activities, etc.? Is there boating there? tours? I'm an active retiree, single woman of 65 with 3 little dogs. I enjoy bicycle trails, hiking yet like a little night life and restaurants & cafe. I appreciate historic places, parks and gardens. I enjoy flea markets/yard sales. Are the seniors active there? Anything you can give me in the way of info would be greatly appreciated. Please tell me about the Lake Gaston area. Thanks a bunch. Oh, yeah would there be any European folks like Lithuanians or New England transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,973 times
I live in Boydton, VA - 1 mile from Lake Kerr which is the upper lake above Gaston. Both lakes have fine boating, fishing, lots of room for jet skis, etc. The upper lake - Kerr Lake is my favorite. Boydton is a small town with less thant 500 residents. Its like a Norman Rockwell painting come to life. There is however not alot of opportunity for jobs locally and many are retired or work for the County or the Army Corp of Engineers who maintain the lakes. Raleigh and Research Triangle Park are about 1 1/2 hours away and Richmond is about 2 hours away. VA beach is about 3 1/2 hours away. The town of Boydton is on the Civil War historic tour. The lake is surrounded by Army Corp lands - which are mostly public parks and recreation areas - some with overnight camping. But anybody with a boat can tie up and camp when there are 800 miles of shoreilne to choose from. Lots of areas to hike and beautiful big tall fragrant pines and other hardwoods. Several bike trails and Boydton won the award for friendliest town during last year's bike rally that was a national event. Restaurants - a few. Nightlife - at least 30 minutes away unless you count lightning bugs and good ole fashioned porch parties.

Last edited by Yac; 08-03-2007 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: link removed, advertising not allowed

Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,668 times
Default Personal Choice is Clarksville

I like Clarksville much better than the other two locations you mentioned, don't have anything against Boydton or Scottsville.

Clarksville is a nice little (yes little) town, of course lots of the activities and themes tend to be centered toward the lake . Its very clean, and the shops and stores are well kept up downtown. It seems they have civic pride.

The only negative part of that area is the somewhat higher real estate costs, of course lakefront is sky high, and its trickeled down to the surrounding area. I was there last weekend, and picked up a real estate brochure and was kind of surprised at the higher than normal asking prices on some of the homes.

You also may want to find out about the closest health care/hospital, I do know that South Boston , is nearby, it has a small general hospital.

The lake is very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia