Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 12,743 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to either of the above mentioned States and from what I can see (research done online) they're both quite beautiful. However, not having being there and not being able to go right now makes it difficult to decide which State to choose.

What I'm looking for is a good University system, with hip city life that will give me the whole "college town" experience. Having lived in extreme cold climates good weather is definately a must. It doesn't have to be excrutiating hot (although very welcome indeed). I like hot weather for longer periods of time, but do like the occasional cold winter....but then there must be a nice stretch of summer, like I said !!! I'm an avid runner (exercise freak - I admit it) and like to take my pup with me.

I must add though that I'm first going to apply to a Community College then transfer to University. I have my eyes set on the next Universities to tranfer to...

1. North Carolina:

Duke (that's if I can get in)
Wake Forest University
University of North Carolina

2. Virginia

University of Virginia
College of William and Mary

Instead of narrowing my choices I keep expanding them but finally I've decided upon the above to States, aint that grand, ha ha. FINALLY! Please give me some insight as to similarities and differences between these two States.

All advice is welcome, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindydawn View Post
I'm considering moving to either of the above mentioned States and from what I can see (research done online) they're both quite beautiful. However, not having being there and not being able to go right now makes it difficult to decide which State to choose.

What I'm looking for is a good University system, with hip city life that will give me the whole "college town" experience. Having lived in extreme cold climates good weather is definately a must. It doesn't have to be excrutiating hot (although very welcome indeed). I like hot weather for longer periods of time, but do like the occasional cold winter....but then there must be a nice stretch of summer, like I said !!! I'm an avid runner (exercise freak - I admit it) and like to take my pup with me.

I must add though that I'm first going to apply to a Community College then transfer to University. I have my eyes set on the next Universities to tranfer to...

1. North Carolina:

Duke (that's if I can get in)
Wake Forest University
University of North Carolina

2. Virginia

University of Virginia
College of William and Mary

Instead of narrowing my choices I keep expanding them but finally I've decided upon the above to States, aint that grand, ha ha. FINALLY! Please give me some insight as to similarities and differences between these two States.

All advice is welcome, thank you

Both states DO have beautiful areas for sure. And both states also have some fantastic universities. You have your sights set on a few of them

I did notice a few of my favorite schools are not on your list. Have you looked at Virginia Tech or UNC-Wilmington?

I know, you are trying to narrow things down, lol, but the truth is, all the schools on your list can be hard to get in to for various reasons. For instance, the University of North Carolina gets about 20,000 applications a year for their freshman class and they only admit a few thousand of those students.

If you were going straight to a university my advice to you would be to apply at them all and see what happens. Once you knew where you had been accepted, THEN you could decide your top choice among those schools.

But since you want to go to community college first (which I think is a good idea) you should really be spending your time now investigating the community colleges, not the universities.

NC has a wonderful community college system. Associates degrees from them all transfer over the the UNC system when a student wants to transfer over. So based on that, I'd have to say to strongly consider NC

Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,283,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NC has a wonderful community college system. Associates degrees from them all transfer over the the UNC system when a student wants to transfer over. So based on that, I'd have to say to strongly consider NC
Virginia has the same transfer deal.

If you want a good college town experience I'd say either Charlottesville or Chapel Hill. Williamsburg is more of a tourist town. You might also take a look at James Madison University in Harrisonburg. The townies are kind of odd but the students have a great time (they bleed beer).

Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Virginia has the same transfer deal.

If you want a good college town experience I'd say either Charlottesville or Chapel Hill. Williamsburg is more of a tourist town. You might also take a look at James Madison University in Harrisonburg. The townies are kind of odd but the students have a great time (they bleed beer).
Let me rephrase...I don't think the OP should chose NC just because the community college degrees transfer to the university system, but because NC has a really good community college system in general which is well connected to the UNC system

Old 07-05-2011, 10:43 PM

106 posts, read 263,559 times
I'm Going for NC because of UNC, Chapel Hill is a very nice real college town with alot of school spirit and great job opportunities afterwards

Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 AM

7 posts, read 12,743 times
Quote:
But since you want to go to community college first (which I think is a good idea) you should really be spending your time now investigating the community colleges, not the universities.

I happen to agree with you there but I'm considering not moving around too much. I want to get settled in an area therefore, choosing where I'd like to go to Uni first, that is where I want to go to Community College. Now I understand that this might not mean that I definitely will get accepted to my Uni of choice. I can keep my fingers crossed and hope.

Quote:
You might also take a look at James Madison University in Harrisonburg. The townies are kind of odd but the students have a great time (they bleed beer).
Thank you, I just had a look at their website. I'm impressed. Never knew about JHU.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Let me rephrase...I don't think the OP should chose NC just because the community college degrees transfer to the university system, but because NC has a really good community college system in general which is well connected to the UNC system
Can't you say the same thing about NOVA? I believe you can.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Can't you say the same thing about NOVA? I believe you can.
Yeah, but then you have to live in northern VA - yuck

That's like throwing our OP to the wolves, lol - very overcrowded, extremely expensive, plus she is interested in scenic beauty.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but then you have to live in northern VA - yuck

That's like throwing our OP to the wolves, lol - very overcrowded, extremely expensive, plus she is interested in scenic beauty.
She's also interested in "hip city life". Not a whole lot of that outside of NoVA.

Don't some of the other community colleges throughout the Commonwealth have the same transfer deal?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,954,027 times
I lived in Charlottesville from 1975-1980, and in Chapel Hill from 1983-1988 so my information is probably dated. But I'd say Charlottesville was the more liberal/progressive town, and is also one of the most beautiful places I've seen. You're half an hour from the crest of the Blue Ridge mountains, about three hours from the ocean (Va. Beach). Chapel Hill, probably more middle of the road politically, not so attractive physically. Chapel Hill is about the same distance from the ocean, but the mountains are further (about three hours or so). The mountains in NC are more spectacular than the mountains in VA. Charlottesville's a small town in the boondocks, Chapel Hill is near Raleigh and Durham so you have more of a chance for the bigger city life (but don't expect a really big city environment unless you want to go to college near Washington DC). The climate in NC is somewhat milder than VA; Charlottesville is in the rain shadow of the Appalachian chain, and there are a LOT of ice storms in the winter. All the colleges you mention are good schools -- I've attended both UNC and UVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia