Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM

81 posts, read 356,851 times

Advertisements

my family and i are looking at houses in the winchester area. my husband commutes to herndon each day, so we are looking on the rt 7 side. anyone else drive that way? how bad is the traffic? anyone know anything about that area of winchester? we have seen several homes we like in senseny glen. is this a nice neighborhood? any places to avoid?

any info will be so appreciated...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,038 times
Why are you interested in Winchester?
You know if you want a country house that's fine, but I would like it if less people started ruined Frederick County.
This isn't Fairfax, this is the applachia country with a rich, mountain scenic history.
It's one thing to have Fairfax littered with trashy homes but when you have historic frontier places in the mountains becoming playgrounds for people who must have 3000 sq feet I say NO.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:05 AM

Default you need a nap tberg!

i don't know what your problem is, but there is no reason to respond to me that way. i have lived in northern virginia all my life! i have seen first hand what the influx of people has done to fairfax county, loudoun county and even fauquier county to a lesser extent. i don't need you to tell me where i shouldn't live. i don't need to explain myself to you, but i have never bought, nor do i ever intend to buy a new house. i was asking for info on this area because my mom and her entire side of the family grew up there and still live there. if anyone who lives in the winchester area, would like to help someone out with information, then thank you very kindly.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohki View Post
my family and i are looking at houses in the winchester area. my husband commutes to herndon each day, so we are looking on the rt 7 side. anyone else drive that way? how bad is the traffic? anyone know anything about that area of winchester? we have seen several homes we like in senseny glen. is this a nice neighborhood? any places to avoid?

any info will be so appreciated...........
I'm relatively new to the area and live a few miles south of Winchester. I have limited familiarity with the area you are talking about. What I do know is that with zero traffic it seems to take around 40 minutes to get to Dulles.... Now add more traffic and distance and I don't know how long that'd be....

Old 06-20-2007, 07:56 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
it will take more than 40 minutes. It takes almost an hour to get from Leesburg to winchester without traffic. So a morning commute into Herndon would run probably around 90min. I don't think you will have that much traffic until you hit Leesburg. (but with more building out toward Round hill trafffic is getting worse) But in the morning it will take you at least 40 minutes to get from Leesburg to Herndon. (less if you pick up the toll, but they are raising the rates AGAIN! so it'll be 3.00 one way)

I think Winchester to Herndon would be a grueling commute.

Why winchester? you cut time the time down to an hour if you move a bit closer in. You can still get "rural feel" without a 90+ min commute. Berryville, round hill, Purceville, (come to mind)

But to anwser you question about the area...I know nothing of the homes there, have seen some nice neighborhoods south of winchester proper on rt7 though.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info. We are looking at houses under 300K. Berryville, and anything in Loudoun is just too expensive. We live in Warrenton now, and it takes my husband approx. 1 hour in the am and longer in the pm, so we were hoping that Winchester by way of rt 7 would be better than 66 and rt 29. Thanks again

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
300k is tough. sad that in most places 300k would buy you a VERY nice home! (like in DFW area in Texas!!)

Berryville (in clark co) has a few but they are older and smaller. but there are some. (but commute wise is probably the same as from warrenton)

I really don't think your commute will be any less than Warrenton. (I feel it will be more than an hour)Rt 7 get very backed up and has a ton of lights etc...

If you do the move you may end up with a longer commute and more expensive gas bill! Don't forget to add the extra cost of gas into your monthly budget. That's what kept us from a bigger house and more yard(1/2 acre) in Roundhill than what we have in Leesburg... that's about 30-40 extra miles per day. (200 per month) it adds up!

an idea might be to get a motel room on sunday night and have your hubby drive in to work on monday during rush hour... a mini retreat for you and the kids and he gets to see how the drive will be.

I wish you good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
You know if you want a country house that's fine, but I would like it if less people started ruined Frederick County.
This isn't Fairfax, this is the applachia country with a rich, mountain scenic history.
It's one thing to have Fairfax littered with trashy homes but when you have historic frontier places in the mountains becoming playgrounds for people who must have 3000 sq feet I say NO.
Winchester isn't appalachia. Its Shenandoah Valley. That being said, its a nice area to live in.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:19 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
At least one convicted kid perv in Senseny Glen. To get under 300, you need to look across the street at Glenmont Village, but brush up on your diversity.

Commute time will vary depending on time of day the commute takes place.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:25 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post

Too bad too many families are more interested in a quick buck rather than growing apples. It was bound to happen. I travel now along Merrimans Lane and Middle Road, and think back to all the farmland that is now covered with asphalt and vinyl siding. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia