Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

I have been to the Virginia Home many times in the past. I can reassure you that nothing evil or bad happened in that home. It was a boarding house for many years, not just for the mill workers but other interesting people as well. For example, there was a very famous race car driver who raced at the Martinsville Speedway. His father kept a room rented there year round just to have a place to stay when he came to town.
There are still plenty of local residents in Fieldale who could tell you volumes about the Virginia Home, and all of it would be postive. True, the house is old but has held up very well, considering how old it is.
The last real owner was an elderly lady everyone loved and called Ms Ted. There was a very sweet black lady named Ms Catherine who did all the cooking and she was fabulous. The home is a diamond in the rough. Small kids were not allowed to go upstairs for fear of falling off the balcony, which there are 2 of and very long and pretty. There used to be about 4 porch swings for the residents to use
True, Fieldale is a sleepy little town but I would live in Fieldale in a minute. The Virginia Home also has a small cottage behind it that is a super fixer upper. It could easily rent out to someone who could do the yard work, etc. I have entertained the idea of buying the house and renting the rooms out during race weeks at Martinsville Speedway. I have personally known many residents who have rented there at some point in their lives. Close by is a million dollar bed and breakfast owned by Joey Arrington of Arrington Motorsports and it is a extremely nice place for weddings or a place to stay during race week etc. Check out the Clubhouse Rsort on the net. It's a 1st class place. To sum up, Fieldale is a good place to live. True, most of the 'originals' have grown old and a lot of families have moved on, but the townis coming back. Too bad the industry in our area tucked their tails and moved overseas. But Fieldale is here to stay and like I said earlier, it's a good place to live !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,491 times
My sister lives in Bassett which is only minutes from Fieldale. I was in Bassett over the Labor Day holiday and went to see the Virginia Home as it is still for sale. I have seen it listed in the real estate publication for quite some time now. My sister has her house for sale and I was fortunate enough to be able to go with her and her real estate agent to look at properties over the holiday. I loved The Virginia Home the first time I saw it in the publication and was estatic to see it. The Virginia Home was not far away from some of the homes we looked at & I asked her realtor if she would let me see it. She was happy to oblige. That house is totally amazing/awesome/wonderful, etc. I could go on & on about it. I couldn't believe what good shape it is in considering it's age. It appeared to have been painted not too long ago. The small house in the back yard could really be nice with some work. If I were retiring and looking to relocate, I would probably buy it. The upstairs porch/balcony is really something. Both upstairs & downstairs entrances from the porches to the house are nice with fireplaces on the left as you enter. A nice big kitchen & sunroom and the rest goes without saying. I did not go into the basement when the realtor told me it had a dirt floor. There was enough to look at without going down there. I have read all the blogs listed here about the house. Yes, the staircase has been boarded up, but, one board has been removed so potential buyers can gain access to the second floor. One person here said the attic entrance has been sealed off. I did not notice that and don't think I even looked for an attic entrance. The sale price is cheap. One could drop another $100,000.00 into the house and have the show place of Fieldale. The house has so much potential and the possibilites are endless as to what a person could do with all that space. The yard is huge and a landscapers dream. However, with all that said, another person here said the house seemed spooky/eerie and had a cold feeling on the inside. I have to agree with that statement. It was hot the afternoon I was there & when we entered the house it felt like there was an air conditioner running. I did not comment on it to anyone else. Parts of the house were a lot cooler than others. The upstairs was unusally cool and I thought that was a bit strange. It should have been warmer than the first floor, but, it wasn't. Sounds kinda strange doesn't it? When I went out on the upstairs balcony/porch & went back in, I shivered a bit and thought to myself how cool it was upstairs. I own two houses in the town I live in & one of them is haunted and one of the rooms in that house stays unusually cooler than the rest. I lived in that house for 11 years and could really tell some stories about the things that went on there. When the other person made the comment in their blog about The Virginia Home being unusally cool, I know exactly what they are talking about. And as far as the bad dream went, I had one as well. But regardless if The Virginia Home is haunted or not, I would buy it in a heart beat if I were retiring and looking to relocate. As far as Fieldale being a busy little town, it isn't. It gives one the feeling of a place that used to exist. Most of the businesses downtown are closed & I didn't see anyone moving about. No one was in their yard, no one was out walking a dog, no one doing anything period. Would be a nice little town to retire too. You wouldn't have to worry about the hustle & bustle of city life. I hope this will help anyone looking for information/comments about The Virginia Home & Fieldale.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
The upstairs was boarded up because the family that rented it couldnt afford the 400 a month to heat it in the winter. The house exterior is asbestos. Id love to live there, but the owners never responded to my offer.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
Being from that region, it is not an area conducive to B&B trade or clientele. The current economic downturn adds "insult to injury" to such little towns as Fieldale. Probably something closer to the Blue Ridge Parkway or a university town would prove to be more viable for you. However, in restaurant operations, a place that provides "boarding house" type food and service, at say $19.95 per adult, may do okay(i.e. Daniel Boone Inn in Boone, NC or Dillard House in Dillard, GA, etc.)

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times
The Virginia Home is not haunted. My family owned/operated it for 60 years and I grew up running thru it. The reason it is cool on the inside is that it is well built and the plaster walls are doing the job they were designed for. I spent many summers working in the kitchen and dinning room helping Aunt Ted and Catherine and even the kitchen in the hottest part of the day was pleasant.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM

834 posts, read 2,811,822 times
[quote=marciaw;1930599]Hello Neighbors I would like to intoduce myself. My name is Marcia and I am coming to fieldale. Well, at least I would really like to locate myself there. I grew up in South Boston, yes, Southie is my home town. But I now live on the South Shore, south of

Marcia -- In southern Virginia when you say "South Boston", people may think you're referring to the town by that name which is in tobacco country in southern Virginia and now has the new "Prizery" fine arts center. You may confuse people by saying "South Boston".

Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,345 times
I grew up in Fieldale (back when three schools were open there), the rest of my extended family (both sides) still live there, and I visit once or twice a year. There is nothing creepy about the Virginia Home. I toured it a couple of years ago during the Fieldale Heritage Festival. It was built when Marshall Field bought the entire town (then a large farm) to build his towel mill near the Smith River. It was a dorm for unmarried women who worked at the mill. Other than having only two bathrooms, it is a great house. Of course it needs a little work, but for being empty for a couple of decades, it is in great shape. It has beautiful hardwood floors and a commercial-style kitchen. I think the earlier poster didn't get an answer about the blocked stairs because there is no answer beyond they didn't want their kids to go up there. Of course it is cold. Why would anyone pay to heat an unused house? I'm sure it is not going to win awards for energy efficiency either. I LOVE the upstairs porch though! If I didn't need a job, I would buy it myself for nostalga's sake. It was a restaurant which catered mostly to mill workers during the day and their families for dinner. It was very popular, but the population was much bigger then and also more affluent. I can remember thinking the houses on 10th Street were so grand, but now they look like shacks. Anyway, Fields built the entire town. The community center is the center of town still (that's where the swimming pools mentioned earlier are located). He built all the houses in the quadrant below the Virginia Home. The history is phenomenal if you can market it. You would have some competition competing with Joey Arrington (of Arrington Motorsports) because of the money he has poured into the old lodge. It's a nice place to visit and retire to, but I wouldn't encourage someone (especially someone young) to stake their fortune there. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia