Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM

55 posts, read 146,143 times

Advertisements

Our story - we are in TX and want to relocate our family to a farm in VA. We have 2 boys - 4 and 1. We want sell baked goods at the farmers markets, have a big garden, chickens, perhaps a few cabins for a B&B, etc. Basically live the good life and run a little farm stay. Focus on local foods, family, community, etc. (For real money, my husband will work offshore as needed. Just need to be near an airport.)

We have been to VA 3 times now trying to find a farm. I went to JMU in Harrisonburg and grew up in Fauquier County.

We have made an offer on a farm in Palmyra (Fluvanna County) but I think the deal will fall through. We found another farm online in Bedford and are sending our agent out to see it today.

So...what do you think about Palmyra (or being near Charlottesville) versus Bedford (being near Lynchburg/Roanoke)? When it comes to....

farmers markets
family friendly
tourist/business opportunities
living the good life
ability to jump in the car, take the kids for a drive and see historical stuff

We plan to homeschool so not too concerned about schools.

I truly appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Not sure if Bedford has a farmers market but is 30 minutes from ones in both Roanoke and Lynchburg. The one in Roanoke gets pretty good traffic.

Lots of history. You have Jefferson's Poplar Forest in Lynchburg, Appomatix about 40 minutes away and right in Bedford is the DDay memorial.

Probably a good place for a B&B. Very near the Blue Ridge Parkway, Smith Mountain Lake and the DDAY memorial and lots of civil war sites.

Airports are small regional types in Lycnhburg and Roanoke (but better than Charlottesville). The closest international is either Richmond, VA or Raleigh Durham. Both are in the 2.5 hours range. Also, Amtrack runs through Lycjnurg and Charlottesvilee if that helps.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
I think both locations sound like a good fit for you! The distance between those two places is not great. I am sure you can find something in the Shenandoah Valley that suits your lifestyle. Bedford is a lovely town, adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway and close to Lynchburg & Roanoke. C'ville is a little over an hour away also. In the summer I see many farmers who allow tourists to pick apples on their property on the way to the Parkway. I stopped at a small store en-route and discovered many locally grown products that I didn't know grew around here. Did you know grapes are a big crop in VA now?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 PM

55 posts, read 146,143 times
Thanks to you both. I have to admit we are more confused than ever! I suppose it is nice to have choices but we honestly can't decide which area would be best. I think I am leaning towards Bedford but I do like the Fluvanna area as well. I think I will research the farmers markets a bit more. I am also attracted to the Smith Mountain Lake area which adds another tick to the Bedford column.

Would love to hear from others if anyone has details or thoughts on the two areas.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM

156 posts, read 369,941 times
I own another house in Pittsville VA no to far but far enough to buy a second house for alot cheaper like 28 thousand for 12 acres
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia