U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:44 PM

41 posts, read 114,377 times

Advertisements

Can anyone inform me more about the area of Hillsville, VA? What do you really like or appreciate about the area, and do you feel there are any downsides worth mentioning? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM

232 posts, read 1,657,971 times
Ahhhh... my specialty. SW Va cities. I am originally from Galax, which is less than 10 minutes from Hillsville. I am very familiar with the area. I will first explain a little about Hillsville, itself, then go into some detail about the area.
Hillsville is a very small town. I believe the population of about 2,000 or so. Carroll County has around 30,000 in a rather large area, therefore you feel like you have room to move to say the least. With that, there are many of the things you would expect from a small town in SW VA. It is very quaint and peaceful. No crime to speak of and everyone pretty much knows everyone. To be such a small town, the place has quite a feeling of civic pride. There is a very nice veterans memorial. The Hillsville VFW is very active in the community. There are also some rather large events in the town. There is a big flea market during Memorial Day and an unbelievably large one during Labor Day Weekend. When I first hear the word flea market, I initially think... Larry The Cable Guy's Heaven, but it is something to do, as it is interesting to see a hundred thousand people or so converge on this tiny town.
Hillsville is one of those places that only has a few places to eat. There is Chinese, Mexican, Seafood, and some country food. None of these places offer gourmet dining, but they definitely are places that have a sense of.... place, where people smile, talk to you, and act like they are your friend. Not a lot of that where I live now, Atlanta.
Depending on what you do, the job market is pretty terrible. There are a large number, proportionately, of manufacturing and textile jobs. No real white collar jobs to speak of. The demographics do not make it a very strong place to be an entrepreneur, unless you try to capitalize off of the I-77 traffic.
Speaking abou the area a little bit.....
The areas of Grayson and Carroll County are known as the Twin Counties. Hillsville is the Seat of Carroll and Galax, which sits on the border of each county is an independent city. Independence is the only town to speak of in Grayson County. A drive through highway 58 will take you from the end of Grayson to the end of Carroll. And depending on where you are from, can be a very nice drive. This area is wonderful for outdoor recreation. The New River provides a host of activities. There is a wonderful hiking, biking, and horseback trail called the New River Trail. I believe it is a state park now... I may be wrong though. Lots of fishing and hunting in the area and a ton of wonderful Sunday drives. You also have the Blue Ridge parkway running through both counties. Basically, if you like the outdoors, you will like this region. You have 4 true seasons, with neither being terribly harsh. Winters can get a little ugly though.
Again, the area has a bunch of mom and pop type places to eat at. There is a small cinema in Galax, which is quite affordable by most theatre standards. There is a little bit of shopping in Galax. It's not 5th avenue, but thats what makes it nice. The downtown area is turning into a very pleasant little jewel of small town America. There are several festivals throughout the year. You have a fiddlers convention, tractor pull, carnival (its a joke, but its there), BBQ Festival (very good one), some leaf and string thing, and several others.
Again, the biggest problem with the area is its economy. The job market has hinged on manufacturing and textile related jobs for many years. As so many of those jobs have left for other countries, they have not been replaced by more desireable type opportunities. The area has been adding jobs at a better pace through recent years... still nothing to brag about though.
Overall, I still say that it is a wonderful place. If I were at the right point in my life, I would strongly consider going back home. I know this was a lengthy post, but I hope it helps as this is a topic I love to type about. If you have any more questions, please fire away.

Last edited by Steven2149; 09-14-2007 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 PM

41 posts, read 114,377 times
Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
Ahhhh... my specialty. SW Va cities. I am originally from Galax, which is less than 10 minutes from Hillsville. I am very familiar with the area. I will first explain a little about Hillsville, itself, then go into some detail about the area.
Hillsville is a very small town. I believe the population of about 2,000 or so. Carroll County has around 30,000 in a rather large area, therefore you feel like you have room to move to say the least. With that, there are many of the things you would expect from a small town in SW VA. It is very quaint and peaceful. No crime to speak of and everyone pretty much knows everyone. To be such a small town, the place has quite a feeling of civic pride. There is a very nice veterans memorial. The Hillsville VFW is very active in the community. There are also some rather large events in the town. There is a big flea market during Memorial Day and an unbelievably large one during Labor Day Weekend. When I first hear the word flea market, I initially think... Larry The Cable Guy's Heaven, but it is something to do, as it is interesting to see a hundred thousand people or so converge on this tiny town.
Hillsville is one of those places that only has a few places to eat. There is Chinese, Mexican, Seafood, and some country food. None of these places offer gourmet dining, but they definitely are places that have a sense of.... place, where people smile, talk to you, and act like they are your friend. Not a lot of that where I live now, Atlanta.
Depending on what you do, the job market is pretty terrible. There are a large number, proportionately, of manufacturing and textile jobs. No real white collar jobs to speak of. The demographics do not make it a very strong place to be an entrepreneur, unless you try to capitalize off of the I-77 traffic.
Speaking abou the area a little bit.....
The areas of Grayson and Carroll County are known as the Twin Counties. Hillsville is the Seat of Carroll and Galax, which sits on the border of each county is an independent city. Independence is the only town to speak of in Grayson County. A drive through highway 58 will take you from the end of Grayson to the end of Carroll. And depending on where you are from, can be a very nice drive. This area is wonderful for outdoor recreation. The New River provides a host of activities. There is a wonderful hiking, biking, and horseback trail called the New River Trail. I believe it is a state park now... I may be wrong though. Lots of fishing and hunting in the area and a ton of wonderful Sunday drives. You also have the Blue Ridge parkway running through both counties. Basically, if you like the outdoors, you will like this region. You have 4 true seasons, with neither being terribly harsh. Winters can get a little ugly though.
Again, the area has a bunch of mom and pop type places to eat at. There is a small cinema in Galax, which is quite affordable by most theatre standards. There is a little bit of shopping in Galax. It's not 5th avenue, but thats what makes it nice. The downtown area is turning into a very pleasant little jewel of small town America. There are several festivals throughout the year. You have a fiddlers convention, tractor pull, carnival (its a joke, but its there), BBQ Festival (very good one), some leaf and string thing, and several others.
Again, the biggest problem with the area is its economy. The job market has hinged on manufacturing and textile related jobs for many years. As so many of those jobs have left for other countries, they have not been replaced by more desireable type opportunities. The area has been adding jobs at a better pace through recent years... still nothing to brag about though.
Overall, I still say that it is a wonderful place. If I were at the right point in my life, I would strongly consider going back home. I know this was a lengthy post, but I hope it helps as this is a topic I love to type about. If you have any more questions, please fire away.
What a pleasant surprise to get such a in depth answer! Thank-you. I was thinking of retiring there. (but even if I needed to work even part-time, I am in the nursing profession and usually it is easy to find work) I have driven up three times now, to get the feel of the area. Still it is wonderful to hear from someone who knows it so well! It is still hard to really know an area even if you have visited it. It helps so much to hear from someone who really "knows it". I live in NC now, and am only about an hour and ten or fifteen minutes away. It is hard to stay away, with the beautiful scenery up there! I even attended the big flea market this year! It is huge! Reminds me of the "jockey lot"(flea market) they have in South Carolina. That is also huge! Also stayed at Lonesome Pine Cabins in Fancy Gap, which the scenery took my breath away!

In Hillsville there is a RV park that you can even put in a permanent park model and live there. They have new management now and it is called Lakeridge RV Park. I have visited it twice to see how it would feel to live there. I do not know if you know anything about this place? The people in the office were the nicest people.

I did see an Italian pizza place and was told it is the best! Since I am originally from a small town in Upstate NY, I would have no problem eating there alot! I do not mean to sound rude, so please take my next question as just a question, and not as an attack. If it does offend you, or anyone from Hillsville reading this, I truly do not mean too. Since I am from NY (and by the way a very friendly NY'er, will I have any problems fitting in? If everyone knows everyone else will I stick out like a sore thumb? If I just be me: friendly, northern accent, like to laugh and talk, will I still be an outcast for not being from Hillsville, originally? (Again, please accept my apology if this offends anyone.)

I believe you are right in that the New River Trail is now a State Park. I do not want to go back to NY because I lived in the "snow-belt" and it was not uncommon to have snow piled up to our windows! But I admit, I still miss snow. I just don't want that much of the white stuff! It seems Hillsville would be perfect with some snow, some cold, enough to put some red in your cheeks!, small town, and again just beautiful scenery.

Well! You live in a busy city- I have been to Atlanta and I certainly can see why you would want to get back to the Galax/Hillsvill area. I grew up country and love going to the city. The city amazes me, but then I get tired of the hustle and bustle and need to "head out" to a slower pace.

Again, thank you so much for all the information. Hope to hear from you again! Take care.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:13 AM

232 posts, read 1,657,971 times
One thing you would find after a few visits is that it is a very good retirement area. I would retire back to the area in a heartbeat. You are in a beautiful area and are close enough to the bigger cities. (Winston, Greensboro, Charlotte, Roanoke). You should have no problem finding part time or full time work in the nursing field. My mother is a nurse and her career has been pretty good there. There are a lot of people who drive by and decide to retire. You will not be alone, being Northern transplants. You will find people there to be very nice and still find a fair amount of people with similar accents. Probably one of the biggest factors in the economy is the number of retirees in the area. Your question didn't offend me at all. Reading about your situation, I would basically guarantee your satisfaction with a decision to retire to that area. You would fit in in no time at all. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,893 times
As an upstate New Yorker you will fit in fine....its those dreadful New Yawkers who ruin everything. They are perceived as loud, flashy and generally obnoxious. I live in NC and have a country home in Fancy Gap and my fondest hope is that the New York/Miami crowd will stay in the mountains of NC. A word of advice, if you move to VA get rid of your NY license plates ASAP as they will hold you back socially. When asked where you are from, the best answer is Indiana....no one has anything against Hoosiers and no one ever presses for details.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 PM

78 posts, read 258,452 times
One comment, since you are in the medical industry.

I grew up in Draper, just up the road from Hillsville. My Granny and Great Grandpa lived in Hillsville.

I have been away from the area for over 35 years (but will retire and return next summer). I have visited relatives in the area many times over the years.

Something I have noticed is, folks tend to go to a doctor in the nearest small town: Hillsville, Galax, Pulaski, Dublin, Wytheville, etc.

When they get seriously ill, according to their doctor, he sends them to one of the larger medical facilities in a city such as Winston Salem, Roanoke, or Charlottesville for tests and treatment. This is a really big deal!

However, when they feel they are seriously ill, but their doctor is not taking them seriously enough, they take themselves to a doctor in the next little town. Haha.

The conversation goes something like this;
"How you been, Uncle Jay?"
"Oh...purty good. 'Cept I had a bad spell with my heart last winter. Had to go to the doctor up in Wiffville (Wytheville) to git over it."

Just something I noticed and you should know if you are going to work in a doctor's office in Hillsville.

I love those people. As a whole they are sincere and will not hesitate to give you the shirts off their backs. Nothing like the phonies I must deal with every day.
But they are leery of strangers, especially if the stranger is from the north. And according to my grandad (who lived just off route 100 between Hillsville and Pulaski) all strangers are "damnyankees" until proven otherwise.

So, you will be slowly accepted if you treat folks with respect and honesty.
You can never be one of them. But I promise, you will make some dear friends.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:23 AM

129 posts, read 437,407 times
I assume the suggestion to lie about your origins was a joke. Don't lie to people.

I recommend that Yankees wishing to assimilate remind themselves that (a) despite what you may have heard, a Confederate flag is not an emblem of racism, and (b) "barbecue" is a noun, not a verb. Barbecue is what you eat, not what you do. Oh, and (c) despite what you may have heard, "y'all" is the only grammatically correct pronoun with which to address a group, but don't try to use it when you first arrive. If you're meant to be here, in time it will come naturally. I reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia