Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:29 PM

33 posts, read 148,112 times

Advertisements

thank you for your input.

the think is,that I am a medical professional,but I dont intend to work in the hospital.I am looking into rehab,retirement community or home health,mayby....so I hope I could find that in most of those cities.....
I think closer to DC ,like you said is expensive and I am trying to probably stay away,but I want to be able to drive to DC sometimes for weekends ,for culture...
What do you think about Richmond area?
I am considering this too...

See I want to move ,this is my choice,but I dont want to decrease my standards of living.....I depend on me and me only.....so it wouldnt make me happy if I would straggle from one paycheck to another just b/s I have mortgage I should never go for.....and 350K IS A BIG STRETCH.....I should stay under 300K really...

I visited DC in August and I really liked it alot,but am open to more areas ,similar to DC with the nature,rivers etc but not as expensive....I cant afford to keep moving if I for financial reasons cant stay,that is why I inquire about Fredericksburg ( less expensive) and Richmond.....( less expensive...) I want to stay close to the big city though.....I dont like rural.I want to buy something in planned community so I meet people,make freinds....

let me know what do you think,please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,844 times
I agree with alot. Fredericksburg Va. is a great place to raise a family.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM

19 posts, read 103,757 times
Seriously consider renting in Ghent (Norfolk). This is a cool area. Near a med school too.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 AM

35 posts, read 114,406 times
Florali,

You've got to look at Williamsburg. It's a great place for you kids, and a great place for you! Let me know if you need some help exploring the area.

About 18 months ago, you could count the condos on the market under $350K on one hand. Now, you have lots to choose from.

Schools are great, crime is low, life is good!

Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 65,331 times
York County. It is a medium sized community next to newport news, hampton, and Williamsburg. I have lived here for five years and i would never pick another place to live. There is practically no crime, great schools, so much to do a great place to raise children. It is one of those places where you let your children run around the neighberhood with no worry in the world. Their is so much to do here too, Bush Gardens is only fifteen to twenty minutes away, same with water country. Their is all types of shopping and fun things to do in newport news that is only about a ten minute drive from york county.
So deffinetly check out york county. Best place to live in virginia in my opinion

Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
We moved to Williamsburg VA from Annapolis Md 3 years ago. We have two boys 6 & 8. This is a great place to live. Great Schools, lots of history,recreation. It is still a small town so you tend to know a lot of people. I wish we had made the move years ago.................

Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 AM

8 posts, read 57,673 times
Dear FLorali:
The outlining areas of Richmond are good for kids. I reside in Mechanicsville, which is a terrific suburb of richmond with awesome schools, low taxes and low crime. House prices are 220's -350's. Townhomes are probably 250's and up. Richmond is a diverse area with good people. Hope this helps! Oh by the way, the West End of Richmond is also a popular area and you will probably find more townhomes there.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 PM

33 posts, read 148,112 times
Default thank you Imc069

Every little bit of information helps.
I am looking more toward the west side of Richmond b/s I think I like to be more in the city suburbs than rural.I may regret this in the future after the fact,but I am used to city and the whole fact of moving is a difficult situation and it would be probably even more difficult to change the scenerial...soo much!
I also am a single parent and dont want to be isolated.

thanks again

Old 10-26-2006, 10:30 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
I'm sorry to horn in on this thread, but my family is curious about Roanoke and that general area.

We don't see a whole lot written about it on this forum. We'd love to live in the mountains, or very near them. We are looking at Blacksburg, Christiansburg and Floyd Co. as well, but will probably need a larger town to secure a job, etc. and Roanoke seems to be in a good location.

Ay thoughts on Roanoke?

Old 10-26-2006, 04:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'm sorry to horn in on this thread, but my family is curious about Roanoke and that general area.....Any thoughts on Roanoke?
Please go to the ROANOKE thread for that info, or to add more about that city. We should always use established threads if we can rather than start a new one that duplicates existing ones, etc. You can also use the SEARCH function to find info on most topics.

See: //www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...oanoke-va.html

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia