Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:11 PM

15 posts, read 49,281 times

Advertisements

Ok. My story is pretty much summed up in the title. I'm fairly new to Virginia. I moved here, from Texas, in June to be with my fiance. Everything on that end of the spectrum is going great. My main obstacle is that I left everything I know. I now have a new job, which is great and pays more than I made before, but I have no friendships here. I have no other girls to hang out with, go shopping with, grab a couple drinks with, have dinner with... etc. I'm a 21 year old woman and am on the border of extreme boredom. My fiance doesn't quite understand because he's not a social person. I used to go have dinner, play pool, watch the sports games at bars with friends all the time in Texas, but I don't have that here. Any suggestions where I could talk to some people just to kind of get out? My aim screen name is altoc18... I'd love to hear from anyone. Thanks!

- Also, what are good places to hang out or go and have a drink? (I'm in Woodbridge BTW)

Last edited by altoc18; 10-02-2006 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 03:46 PM

No one has any helpful input?

My main problem is I don't get out much right now, largely due to the fact that I have no one to go with. My fiance is in Radford attending college right now while I'm in Woodbridge working. We see each other one the weekends, but during the week, I go to work and come home and that's it. I'd like more things to be going on in my life. I just don't know where to get started.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:26 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,774,814 times
Wish I could help you out but I'm in Miami! I assume you'll meet people at work. If not, maybe you could join a club or group that does something you like. Although I don't know if they have shopping groups...
Are there any outdoor activities that you like? I think it would be easy to find a hiking group up there. Maybe you could take a class in something you like. You're college age so you'd probably meet people that way. If not, there's always the internet! You can find people to gab with at least!
Good luck & hang in there!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Wish I could help you out but I'm in Miami! I assume you'll meet people at work. If not, maybe you could join a club or group that does something you like. Although I don't know if they have shopping groups...
Are there any outdoor activities that you like? I think it would be easy to find a hiking group up there. Maybe you could take a class in something you like. You're college age so you'd probably meet people that way. If not, there's always the internet! You can find people to gab with at least!
Good luck & hang in there!
haha - shopping groups.. those could be dangerous.. monetarily atleast! As far as meeting people at work, try again. I work for a financial firm. Everyone here is either mid 30's or higher, and a complete drag! It's so serious around here and everyone is strictly business. As far as joining a club or group: I simply don't have that kind of time. I'm up at 5:30 for work, and due to my commute dealing with traffic, I'm not home until 6:30 every night. I just wanted someone to hang out with every now and then... or someone to just talk to that's from the area. I do enjoy hiking, but have knee problems (subluxing patella) which means my knee caps don't stay in place, so unless I'm constantly wearing braces to hold my knee caps in place it's pretty painful to do any type of climbing. I do appreciate the feedback, even though there's nothing really much for me to do except let time pass and see what happens. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:30 AM

291 posts, read 1,355,755 times
I would suggest volunteering for a cause that is close to your heart. There are so many good people to be found at rescue shelters for both animals and people. Libraries have organized events for readings and etc, and I think that even borders and places like that also have some special events going on. Health clubs, maybe you could swim since walking is a problem? Good luck, I had that problem myself decades ago, now i am old and have too much to do in a day to even care anymore! I do alot of things for my community when I have the time as well some other committments too. I am exhausted by 9 then again, I am old now! LOL! Anyhow, your not alone you know, I meet all kinds of people from all walks of life and age groups and they often tell me this. Its sad, cause I think that is more common these days with how people pick up and move often, and often we have no choice than to do that too. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:22 PM

72 posts, read 296,066 times
I'm sorry too- I was in a similar situation when I moved for a job by myself, it was pretty lonely for awhile.
Do you get up to the Smithsonian? Lots to see up there and you are so close to that. I know though it's not fun to do that alone.. I would try some kind of online hookup, like you are trying here but maybe on another site or a local newspaper magazine connections section- there are classifieds sections for "looking for friends" type categories. Just give that a try and be patient, you might have to weed out a few weirdos!

Good luck! You can keep us posted!

Old 10-03-2006, 03:12 PM

I got on www.washingtonpost.com and looked at classifieds of people making "looking for friendships" which, personally to me seems very odd. There were maybe 2-3 that actually wanted just friendships and all others were to this effect: "I'm a lesbian - Need a girlfriend" or "Bicurious".... um.. no thanks. That didn't work well.. I hate the whole "chat room" thing.. iming is totally fine with me, but chat rooms seem to me to always be filled with adolescent immature people for the most part. I can't take anyone in there seriously. I went into a DC room through yahoo a few min ago just to check it out and I kept getting "I'm hot and want to have fun!! PM me if you're interested!!" popping up on the screen in the room... So I passed. Ha.. This is how it's going so far.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,355,757 times
I second the volunteering idea.

You shouldn't be too afraid of others looking for friends. Many people are in the same situation as you. I've read many articles, including one not so long ago in the Washington Post dealing with this very issue, talking about how many young people just feel very alone and want friends but don't know where or how to meet them and then feel pathetic when they explicitly seek them out an dare wary of those that respond to them, not realizing that those people TOO think the whole thing is weird and are worried about how they are coming across. Not sure if that made much sense. It did in my head

I'm sort of in a similar boat in terms of my lack of a social life and my life during the week basically consists of work, dinner and gym, and then before I know it, it's bedtime. No time really to run errands or catch up with friends via phone or email, no time to read the paper, and only occasionally time to watch TV. What little time I do find myself with during the week, I find myself too exhausted to do anything. I just want to sit and decompress. Then the weekend is spent catching up on all of those things and then, boom, it's Monday again. It's become very grating. Strangely though, the lack of social life at the moment, doesn't really bother me all that much. I'm more of a homebody as is, but I too just would like to go out from time to time, to have a buddy just to shoot the breeze with, but unfortunately, none of my friends live in the area anymore. Oh well, only a few more months....

Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,839,252 times
Here's my suggestion. Sign up for a class or two at NOVA (Community College) and meet some people there. If you're outgoing and sociable you'll meet some cool people.

Also try joining some groups maybe. I dunno. Are you into partying/clubbing? Maybe I can introduce you to some of my female friends, lol.

I dunno how you females meet up with one another. You guys are always jealous and backstabbing one another. Us men get along so much better :-) As for me, I still hang out with my high school crowd mostly.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Here's my suggestion. Sign up for a class or two at NOVA (Community College) and meet some people there. If you're outgoing and sociable you'll meet some cool people.

Also try joining some groups maybe. I dunno. Are you into partying/clubbing? Maybe I can introduce you to some of my female friends, lol.

I dunno how you females meet up with one another. You guys are always jealous and backstabbing one another. Us men get along so much better :-) As for me, I still hang out with my high school crowd mostly.
I do intend on taking a few classes, but was leaning more towards online classes because of the lack of time I have for actually going to the campus.

I used to do the party/clubbing thing a lot before I got engaged. My fiance is sooo not the type for any of that, which kind of sucks.

As far as backstabbing/jealous girls.. I totally agree with you. All through high school, I never really hung out with girls. I was the only girl on the drumline and I liked it that way. Those guys were my hang out group. I couldn't stand how most girls acted. Obviously since I left Texas, I don't have that group of people anymore.

I'm searching the net and trying to find things, it's just tough. I'm working on it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia