U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 AM

193 posts, read 473,929 times

Advertisements

I am relatively new to this forum (as I just recently found it!) and love all the information I'm getting from everyone.

My husband is retiring May 2008 and we are planning on moving down to Virginia from Chicago. We've been down there twice in two years looking at the area and targeting where we want to start house hunting. We like the Floyd area but am also hearing good things about Franklin County. So now when we go down in March I'm going to look at this area - mostly Rocky Mount, Ferrum, etc.

ANY comments/suggestions about either of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Is any one better than the other? Why? Why not? This is a HUGE move for us so I'd appreciate any input from someone in the area. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,620 times
Hi,

I moved from So. Cal. to Franklin County 6 years ago and I loved it. I still have a house on Smith Mountain Lake that I love but need to sell it because I own a house now in Utah (view my posting above yours). Smith Mountain Lake is about 20 mins from Rocky Mount and it is where I plan to retire someday. Smith Mountain Lake is the best lake I've ever been to. Its soooo beautiful there, well actually everywhere in southwest Virginia is beautiful. Just on the ridge of the blue ridge mountains, there is nothing else like it. Also, there are a lot of activities for retired people as well as non-retired but it is hard to find a good paying job unless you are a realtor or have your own business. Here's some links for you to check out:

Smith Mountain Lake Cruises On The Virginia Dare - The owners are great and they have an awesome xmas parade of boats that the virginia dare leads.

Bernards Landing Resort & Conference Center (http://www.bernardslanding.com/dining.htm - broken link) - Dining for the wealthy and nice ambiance. If you run into a guy named Bobby, tell him Lori said hi and ask him to take you up in his plane for a tour of the lake.

Bridgewater Plaza :: Home - A first stop for sure.

Hope this helps and now I'm missing Smith Mountain Lake.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 PM

Thank you. I am definitely going to look at Smith Mountain Lake when we get there! It looks so beautiful. I think we are more looking at the surrounding areas - Ferrum, Rocky Mount, etc. for housing. I think those would be more in our price range. ???

Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM

624 posts, read 1,096,543 times
Default welcome

I am not a resident of either area (Floyd or Franklin Cty), and I would chose the Floyd area. Close to Roanoke/Christiansburg/ , and interesting. Franklin County is also, but Floyd appeals to me more.

I think anywhere in the New River area of Virginia is a good choice.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:15 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,498,954 times
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
I am relatively new to this forum (as I just recently found it!) and love all the information I'm getting from everyone.

My husband is retiring May 2008 and we are planning on moving down to Virginia from Chicago. We've been down there twice in two years looking at the area and targeting where we want to start house hunting. We like the Floyd area but am also hearing good things about Franklin County. So now when we go down in March I'm going to look at this area - mostly Rocky Mount, Ferrum, etc.

ANY comments/suggestions about either of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Is any one better than the other? Why? Why not? This is a HUGE move for us so I'd appreciate any input from someone in the area. Thank you!
Also, look at Bedford County(across the bridge from Franklin County). I visited the area yesterday and I couldn't believe all of the new construction going on in Franklin and Bedford. In Bedford I was interested in a new development called "Downtown Moneta". Its a little Mayberry with a small
village with shops, restaurants and beautiful rural views. If you want something more urban come up to the Roanoke area in Daleville where a similar development is going on called Daleville Town Center. Floyd is way too rural for my tastes and the roads there are quite winding(but very scenic).
The New River Valley is nearby to Floyd with Va Tech and not as isolated.
Rocky Mount has a neat little farmers market and easy access to Roanoke.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,878,498 times
skywolfmedia, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Utah. I've got friends in the Richfield (?) area. I see photos and while the mountain contours I see are quite stunning, the hills look softened and every Utah landscape photo I look over lacks the lushness and vivid coloring that I'm so accustomed to over here in SW Virginia. Is that the case everywhere? I was in Vegas last week and it was downright depressing, the lack of flora and fauna, even out in the West Rim of Arizona when I visited there for a full day. There was beauty to be had, just not the beauty I look for, so perhaps that colored my experiences.

Sean

Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,481 times
There is a lot going on in Floyd these days. The old Country Store where the music is was refurbished., Hotel Floyd and Village Green is now open, A lot of people are moving in. If you want a quiet mountain town about 30 Min to tech and Roanoke, Check it out. Also, see the tax rates

Old 12-23-2007, 01:14 PM

518 posts, read 1,680,823 times
Hey Roanoker 4, How much are the homes going for in those developments you were talking about in Belmont area? I would need a 4 bedroom.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:39 PM
j1n

1,240 posts, read 4,385,575 times
hey dogluver, I just made the move from NJ (right across the water from NYC) to Rocky Mount (in Franklin County) this last August. In all honesty, the culture shock has been pretty heavy duty. I absolutely miss the "vibe" that goes along with a close proximity to the NYC area.
That said, Rocky Mount is not a bad place, but it is the county seat...and like almost every county seat in any other place, there are specific problems that go along with that. My impression of Rocky Mount is that it is a small town that is trying hard to "be something". It does have all the necessities, and is definitely not some secluded upstate hamlet where you might have to do your grocery shopping at the minimart attached to the local gas station. It lacks a variety of real restaurants, but does have a couple...along with lots of fast food joints, a couple of grocery stores, a WalMart, a Lowes, and a bunch of other non-chain stores.
As far as Ferrum goes...again, not a bad place. But if Rocky Mount is small, then Ferrum is tiny! There literally is not much more than a small cluster of stores (a DQ and convenience store...something else maybe?), Ferrum College, and a whole lot of spread-out residences.
Floyd seems to be a really cool town...there's much "more" there than Ferrum. And it's much funkier and (in my opinion) more vibrant than Rocky Mount.
But honestly, I really look forward to our trips to "town"...to Roanoke! And after living in Rocky Mount for the year we have signed a lease for, we will be looking to move to, or closer to, "town".
Roanoke (and Salem as well) are literally ringed by mountains that are pretty impressive and much more present and looming than what you get further south in Rocky Mount. Roanoke has a variety of neighborhoods, tons of shopping and dining options, malls, Barnes & Nobles, etc, etc. And because of those mountains, you retain the feeling of living in a mountain town without some of the more negative (backward?) aspects of living "further out".

In the spirit of being candid, a few things that really bother me about the sothwestern VA area are as follows...
Unlike many mountain towns that folks seem to flock to because of their proximity to outdoor recreation and natural resources, many folks seem to live here despite the mountains. Almost like the mountains are just a convenient high point of land to slap a cell tower on! It's sad, because it really is a beautiful area.
And I am not used to the lack of natural lakes! For much of my life, I spent chunks of my summers in the Adirondacks of upstate NY where my family had two cabins on a piece of property with frontage on a beautiful, secluded, and private mountain lake. We were surrounded by beautiful natural lakes. Smith Mountain Lake is a man-made lake...as are most (all?) of the sizeable lakes in VA. That, to me, is like surfing in an artificial wave pool. Or rock climbing inside a gymnasium on artificial holds. Or "hiking" on a treadmill. Or maybe I'm just being too much of a purist.
If you are moving from Chi-town, don't need acreage for livestock, want to "get out in the mountains", but don't want to be culture-shocked into homesickness...I would really suggest a serious look at Roanoke or Roanoke County. I think you'll find everything you've grown accustomed to in the city and some beautiful scenery!

Last edited by j1n; 12-24-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 AM

Hey J1N,
Thanks so much for all your information and insight. We've checked out Floyd twice but never went through Roanoke and plan to check out that area in March. We drove through what I'm finding was a bad part of Roanoke and didn't want to look any further. We are trying to GET AWAY from the big city life. Had enough of the Chicago area. We are in Coal City which has virtually nothing so moving to an area like Floyd I don't think would be a problem. I will keep everything you said in mind when we make the trip. Again, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia