Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

I know this may sound like an inquiry that would be better suited to TripAdvisor or some other tourism website, but please read on... My stepmom and an older cousin who's always been like an aunt to me will be arriving in a couple of weeks so that I can show them around some of the James River Plantations between Richmond/Petersburg and Williamsburg for about four days. I'm thinking of starting out from a hotel/motel down in Williamsburg/Jamestown area, and basically work our way up the James River, touring perhaps two or three old plantations per day. Logic would dictate moving our "base of operations" to Richmond/Petersburg at some point, rather than driving back to Williamsburg each evening, but I'm rather leery of Petersburg/Hopewell or the southeastern side of Richmond, due to concern over crime. I live in Northern Virginia (Vienna/Falls Church area), and have always heard terrible things about the crime in Richmond and Petersburg. Any thoughts regarding where we should stay? (Is there anywhere to stay around Charles City, which is about halfway up the river valley?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,334,460 times
What's your budget? One night at the Jefferson would be quite a treat.

Richmond Hotels | The Jefferson Hotel | Luxury Hotels in Richmond VA

There are also bed and breakfasts in the Fan and Museum Districts.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Default thanks

I'll check out the Jefferson (never heard of it); our budget is not really a big concern. Another idea I just ran across is that I understand that one of the old plantations on the upper part of the James, the Edgewood, is also a bed and breakfast.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:59 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,100,372 times
It comes down to what you want to do, but it's really not that much of a drive to go back to Williamsburg at the end of the day. Charles City County is pretty rural.

Here's some information on the James River Plantations
James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

The Westover plantation interior isn't open to the public but you can still tour the grounds and garden.

I'd plan on spending a while (at least 2-3 hours) at the Berkeley Plantation. It has a 5-tiered garden between the house and the river. Back in the day, visitors used to travel by boat so they'd arrive at the river level and go up to the houses. At the Berkeley, that's a beautiful walk. Then there are more grounds to walk too. As for the interior, those are guided tours.

I've never stayed at the Edgewood Plantation, but I've been by there. I once was able to take pictures of the grounds after getting permission. It's a lovely place.
James River Plantations: Plantation Bed and Breakfast located near Williamsburg, Virginia.

I haven't been able to find a link for the ticket prices, but I'm sure the Visitor's Center at Williamsburg can tell you the current prices. I was last up there about two years ago and the prices averaged $11 a person at each plantation.
Colonial Williamsburg | Regional Visitor Center | Colonial Williamsburg

I hope some of this information helps you and your relatives enjoy yourselves. Have a good visit!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks so very much for all the useful information, "Lily Lady" -- very helpful!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:05 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,100,372 times
Glad I could help. Have a good time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia