U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 934 times

Advertisements

The notion that the Virginia accent was never Southern is erroneous. The Virginia Piedmont accent influenced the rest of the South. It is that classic genteel accent that includes r dropping. The Tidewater accent, to the east, is unique but also decidedly Southern. Virginia is more homogenized with the rest of the country than it used to be, especially in urban areas, but a lot of natives still have accents. People I grew up with in the Richmond area have accents, for the most part, and consider themselves Southerners. They're not redneck sterotypical accents and attitudes, but all the better aspects of being Southern, such as manners and charm. I know RVA has a hip, progressive trend going on downtown, which is good, but it's still Southern too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 05:34 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,807,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoorva View Post
The notion that the Virginia accent was never Southern is erroneous. The Virginia Piedmont accent influenced the rest of the South. It is that classic genteel accent that includes r dropping. The Tidewater accent, to the east, is unique but also decidedly Southern. Virginia is more homogenized with the rest of the country than it used to be, especially in urban areas, but a lot of natives still have accents. People I grew up with in the Richmond area have accents, for the most part, and consider themselves Southerners. They're not redneck sterotypical accents and attitudes, but all the better aspects of being Southern, such as manners and charm. I know RVA has a hip, progressive trend going on downtown, which is good, but it's still Southern too.
I've never gotten why people on here try to act as if Richmond has completely lost its Southern roots. The last time I was in Richmond, no joke, the first question our waiter asked us was if we wanted sweet tea. That said, Richmond and the entire area has changed a lot due to recent growth but to pretend it's no longer southern is a bit of a stretch.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:37 PM

92 posts, read 47,287 times
I live in Virginia Beach and most of the people here don’t have southern accents. Suffolk and westward it seems to pick up a lot more. Ex-mother-in-law is from Blackstone and she’s like Paula Dean on steroids, so it’s quite the mix.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:46 AM

30,455 posts, read 23,854,588 times
I would say from Harrisonburg on south on I-81 you start picking up more of the "Appalachian South" dialect. It's pretty much ubiquituous everywhere south or west of Roanoke.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,956,144 times
I had a co-worker who was born and grew up in Fredericksburg and had a deep southern accent. But that was long ago, he is over 70 now. Today's generation of southerners, especially the educated or assimilated class (like Stephen Colbert of Charleston SC, or Ellen DeGeneres of New Orleans), often have little or no accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzVKCWXrRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upKqzxuJ5L4

Last edited by slowlane3; 02-25-2020 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 11:59 PM

482 posts, read 279,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would say from Harrisonburg on south on I-81 you start picking up more of the "Appalachian South" dialect. It's pretty much ubiquituous everywhere south or west of Roanoke.
And in Roanoke as well.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:03 AM

482 posts, read 279,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I had a co-worker who was born and grew up in Fredericksburg and had a deep southern accent. But that was long ago, he is over 70 now. Today's generation of southerners, especially the educated or assimilated class (like Stephen Colbert of Charleston SC, or Ellen DeGeneres of New Orleans), often have little or no accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzVKCWXrRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upKqzxuJ5L4
Colbert was born in DC and his parents appear to be from points north. Living in Charleston had no impact on his speech.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:29 PM

27 posts, read 16,968 times
Don't tell folks in Appomattox, FarmVille, Gretna, Martinsville, Danville or Lynchburg that they are not Southern :-)

Old 03-02-2020, 02:36 PM

27 posts, read 16,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
And in Roanoke as well.
I second that

Old 03-08-2020, 05:08 AM

204 posts, read 132,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I've never gotten why people on here try to act as if Richmond has completely lost its Southern roots. The last time I was in Richmond, no joke, the first question our waiter asked us was if we wanted sweet tea. That said, Richmond and the entire area has changed a lot due to recent growth but to pretend it's no longer southern is a bit of a stretch.
I agree. And the same can be said of places like Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia