Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM

430 posts, read 379,818 times

Advertisements

Got it narrowed down to a few places want everyone's input

Abingdon
Bristol
Christiansburg
Lexington
Salem

Not entirely sure about Salem as I want to check it out first. I want an independent town not a suburb of a huge city,Lexington why is the unemployment so high there?

I will be doing more research along with visiting each town in the next 6 months as well as the places in Kentucky we are considering and will make our choice sometime in April or so. If anyone knows of any reason to avoid any of these towns please let me know. Education and Employment chances are at top of list for moving. So bad education system or bad employment right now is a no no.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Salem is a great and very popular place to live, but the lines between Roanoke, Roanoke County, Salem and Vinton and fairly blurred, so experientially, I think it would be like living in a city of 200K not a city of 25K. Education in Salem is very well thought of. But definitely check it out.

Christiansburg and Blacksburg tend to "blob" together as well, so it feels larger than the actual pop. of Christiansburg - college town vibe also.

Abingdon and Lexington are more towns where the population reflects the actual size of the area.

Bristol - is sort of like two cities in one - so add the population of the Tennessee side to the population of the Virginia side to get a truer picture.

Not sure about the relative employment opportunities.

GOOD LUCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Got it narrowed down to a few places want everyone's input

Abingdon
Bristol
Christiansburg
Lexington
Salem

Not entirely sure about Salem as I want to check it out first. I want an independent town not a suburb of a huge city,Lexington why is the unemployment so high there?

I will be doing more research along with visiting each town in the next 6 months as well as the places in Kentucky we are considering and will make our choice sometime in April or so. If anyone knows of any reason to avoid any of these towns please let me know. Education and Employment chances are at top of list for moving. So bad education system or bad employment right now is a no no.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Lexington is on our list for possible retirement, so along with TattoedDad, I would appreciate any information. We are planning on visiting there in October for a closer look

Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Salem is a great and very popular place to live, but the lines between Roanoke, Roanoke County, Salem and Vinton and fairly blurred, so experientially, I think it would be like living in a city of 200K not a city of 25K. Education in Salem is very well thought of. But definitely check it out.

Christiansburg and Blacksburg tend to "blob" together as well, so it feels larger than the actual pop. of Christiansburg - college town vibe also.

Abingdon and Lexington are more towns where the population reflects the actual size of the area.

Bristol - is sort of like two cities in one - so add the population of the Tennessee side to the population of the Virginia side to get a truer picture.

Not sure about the relative employment opportunities.

GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks for the information! Can't wait to move!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Lexington is on our list for possible retirement, so along with TattoedDad, I would appreciate any information. We are planning on visiting there in October for a closer look
I am sending you a message.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
I don't much of anything about Lexington, but just reading about the population and economy of Lexington - I assume the high employment rate is due to the fact that it's a small town (technically a city, but only has a population of approx. 7000) in rural Virginia with the primary source of employment being the two colleges - Washington & Lee and VMI.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:55 PM

How does how Va is run compare to Kentucky? I know NOTHING about who the senators,congressmen/women are.I do know the governor is a newly elected Democrat who is trying to expand medicaid I like that but what about Education spending?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:39 PM

What are some of the other things cost wise like compared to Ky? Car Insurance,Utilities,How are schools compared? Our list for Va is narrowed down to Bristol,Abingdon,and Christiansburg but pretty close to marking it off as I think its so close to Va Tech its gonna drive prices up. Just don't want any surprises for us to find out until AFTER we move.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Anyone? Also are there any other towns/cities near interstate 81 we should consider?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 PM

I was informed that the Bristol/Abingdon area is economically depressed right now? That true? Said that all of Eastern Tn around the tri cities was bad for work right now....would like some info on this...I was really excited about coming to see Bristol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia