Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,331,777 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to more info on the larger development if you're curious...

Winding Brook, Richmond, Virginia (http://www.holladayretail.com/richmond.html - broken link)

I find it odd that Green Top, Gander Mountain, and soon Bass Pro will be so close together... within a stone's throw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 AM

105 posts, read 352,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upssnowman View Post
Stockdale.35

You got it right!
South and Southern Va. is Va.
These are real folks down here
Yep, we got our BBQ, boiled peanuts, sweet tea and fine women down yonder. I hope it never changes.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
I dont know about that.. VA and MD have questionable southern ties currently but in my opinion there's no question if NC is the South or not. North Carolina is definetly the South. One of my best friends came from Elizabeth City, NC which actually borders Hampton Roads and he had a Southern accent and personality just as if he was from Alabama. I also know many ppl from Mississippi and SC and when they coem up here they always speak as if we are Northerners or something. They always say how things are better "down South" and it makes you feel like like True Southerners dotn really respect VA or MD as The South. I have no problem being called Southern since I hail from MD and VA. But I never looked at myself as a "Southerner" persay. I think the Mid-Atlantic term fits us best, even though there are a few exceptions like Richmond, which is just a Southern city straight up and down for the most part the term fits. I mean it even snows in VA and MD, we have alot it common with The South and North but I dont think you would be correct in putting either state in a north/south category completely in todays time.
virginia is southern to the heart and northern va is not the north nor is maryland are u guys 4real? soon as I get into northern va im up north? this is not philly or new york so stop comparing them

Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,008,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NENC View Post
Maryland? No native Virginian in their right mind would pick Maryland over North Carolina! Maryland and Virginia actually have very different histories. Maryland was settled by Catholics escaping religious persecution in England. Virginia was a plantation based economy more closely aligned with her sister Southern States like the Carolinas. This is the reason that Virginia more closely identified (and joined) the Confederacy.

Maryland is definitely more of a Northern State while Virginia has always been a Southern State. Outside of Northern Virginia (metro DC) and the immediate urban areas, Virginia is still very much a Southern State. Maryland has never been a Southern State.
I agree with this post, with the exception of those Virginians living in NOVA.

After living in Virginia for 13 yrs, we moved to MD. Definitely prefer MD to NC, hands down.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:32 AM

743 posts, read 2,247,571 times
I have to agree with NENC as you get to NoVa, it is soooo like MD/DC. As you travel deeper into VA, it is soooo much the south as is NC. Therefore, I believe VA is not like MD unless you go into Western MD, now that is backcountry but don't go near Frederick or even Hagerstown anymore, getting too much like DC but Garrett Co, yes it is like being in deep VA there. As long as you keep me out of the urban/city area of MD, I am happy but I love the backcountry of NC and absolutely love SC/GA. This is where I would prefer to be. Although my family is in MD, which makes me sad but I have to live where I am happy.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Hey Stockdale,

MD was recently named "The Richest State in the US." It's not even a contest. Look up per capita income, average home price, percentage of the population that's educated. I can go on but I won't. There is a reason why real estate in NC is so cheap? A lack of high paying jobs. Now stop disturbing me, they are about to highlight the NC chicken farm.
Okay so MD is the richest with higher taxes and house prices. Okay so NC property is cheaper well duh if the wages are cheaper, would it NOT EQUAL OUT JUST THE SAME!!!! I escaped to NC to get away from the NE mentality which is only following me here. It was not for the cheaper living as why majority of the NY/NJ/CT/MA is moving here. Well they are also the people who are losing their homes because they became "Instant Rich". Just because MD is the richest does not mean anything, they just pay more so you could get more. Oh BTW, I took no pay cut when I left MD for NC, making the same income oh and my home here is $150K less.

On the last note, do you like eating chicken??? Well somebody has to process/kill the chicken for y'all rich folk in MD to eat it

Old 11-01-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp4ever View Post
I was exagerrating when I said that VA was 95% rural plus I meant in area not population dist., so take it easy (must have struck a nerve).

I don't really care about your experience growing up in Maryland and if your friends from PG have thick Southern accents. I'm sure if you go to NYC you can find persons speaking with Southern accents. The fact is Maryland is NOT a Southern state, and we have way more in common with New Jersey and Connecticut than Virginia. It's not something to be proud of, or to brag about; it's just the way it is. I've lived for 21 years in two different counties and I know a little something about what I'm talking about. To tell the truth Pennsylvania is more of Southern than Maryland is, if you travel anywhere in the Western half of the state. But even West Virginia isn't considered Southern anymore: they vote for Dem's and joined the Union, plus they have more of a Western MD/PA accent than a Southern accent. I didn't say that Newark was B'more's "sister city," but Baltimore is waaay more like Philly and Newark than it is Richmond or Hampton Roads in terms of politics, industry, layout, and (unfortunately) crime. Plus Richmond is as right-wing as Baltimore is left-wing. Maryland was only one of six states to vote for Jimmy Carter. Does that answer you're question about how liberal MD is?

Maybe you should check the Census ACS just released a few weeks ago: Maryland is the wealthiest state, the most educated state, and has the 3rd lowest poverty rate in the country (used to be lowest). You just can't argue with those cold, hard, unbiased facts. Virginians also hate Maryland, (probably more than any other state), and they tend to call it the "People's Republic of Maryland" or "Merryland." You know if it wasn't for NoVa. Virginia would be just like South Carolina or Mississppi. Richmond has no economy, and Southern VA is in economic turmoil. I'm just counting the days until NoVa secedes, tired of paying taxed to finance the rest of the state.

Let's take a look at the wealthiest states for '07:
1.Maryland
2.New Jersey
3.Connecticut
4.Alaska(?!)
5.Hawaii(?!)
6. New Hamp.
7. Mass.

Let's look at the most densley populated states:
1.New Jersey
2.Rhode Island
3.Massachusetts
4.Connecticut
5.Maryland
6.Delaware
7.New York

Let's look at all the states on the East Coast that voted for Kerry:

-Maine
-New Hampshire
-Vermont
-Connecticut
-Rhode Island
-New York
-New Jersey
-Pennsylvania
-New Jersey
-*gasp* Maryland

Let's look at all the states that joined the RGGI (states that actually give a crap about global warming):

-Maine
-New Hampshire
-Vermont
-Connecticut
-New York
-New Jersey
-Deleware
-Massachusetts
-Maryland
-Rhode Island

Let's look at all the states on the NORTHEAST CORRIDOR:
-Massachusetts
-Rhose Island
-Connecticut
-New York
-New Jersey
-Pennsylvania
-Deleware
-Maryland

Let's take a look at the highest state tax burden:

1.New York
2.Alaska (?!)
3.Wisconsin (?!)
4.California
5.Minnesota (?!)
6.Massachusetts
7.New Jersey
8.Maryland

And it goes on and on and on...

btw these are cold, hard facts...no bias.

I don't know about you guys but these states seem to have a lot in common (looks like our two "territories" of AK and HI have a lot in common with the NE as well ). I could easily come up with similar lists linking VA with NC and the rest of the South. And of course you know which side MD was on in the war (no comments about riot in B'more please, every state in the NE had Confederate sympathizers).

Good or bad geograhically and otherwise Maryland is on par with the rest of the Northeast. NO ONE (that matters) officially classifies Maryland as a Southern state anymore except the 10 or so conservatives living in MD and the CB, the latter of which actually groups Maryland with NJ, DE, and PA for administrative purposes. Maryland is more often grouped with the Mid-Atlantic (which is an annoying "region" since it changes depending on who you ask, but always includes MD) and of course the Northeast.

I hope my little diatribe has convinced those few uninformed among us where Maryland is actually located in our great country.
Well of course it ranks up with the other NE states, everybody from those states are moving to MD. 20-30 years ago was much different story, does this mean you're 21? Well youngun you obviously don't know the MD from the late 70's through late 80's prior to the NE influx, huh. Does the term "hillbilly" mean anything, Carroll County use to be nothing but until the county was taken over by the NE liberals as you call it.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,744,532 times
My preference would be North Carolina. I was born in MD and lived there for a while as an adult. Granted it was the DC suburbs, so the more rural areas might be nicer. But it was too busy and congested for me. North Carolina has more coast and more land. But to each his or her own.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,207 times
I would totally prefer maryland.based on the fact i'm originally from California.Near San Francisco.I am openly-Gay and Kind of Punk/Goth.I live in RedNeck small-town Greenville,North Carolina.I hate it here,my Man and I want to move like really bad.He's from here,but he hates this closed-minded town.they are very very funny about change and difference.if you even dress different or act different they will snicker and mock you.give a nasty vibe,you know,the attitudes and ugly looks.yeah,they are extremely Homophobic here.a bunch of under-cover *****s that pretend to be "Hetero" with their phony girlfriends.yeah,the Gays even act very funny here too.I laugh when people say it's diverse here and cultural,no they are not diverse.they hate anything that stands out.mark my words.you meet very few down-to-earth people.not many are real.but you get a lot of crap from people when you are different.like myself,i am very flamboyantly-Gay.i am a cool person,but my style is pretty wacky now.like between West Hollywood.The Castro District and Haight-Ashbury.it's a very colorful style.i'm fun and pretty hip.but being Gay in this small-town,people live by the Bible-Belt rules.it's soooo Hetero here and i intimidate a lot of people because i keep it "Real".i strongly believe North Carolina Stands for N.C.(No Change).....it will never change here.having neon-colored hair,wear eye-liner and dress in crazy attire,it's hard.trust me!But yeah,Maryland is the place not North Carolina!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,207 times
Definately Maryland not North Carolina.If you have a comment you can e-mail at [EMAIL="gregory.turnage@yahoo.com"]gregory.turnage@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia