Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,758 times

Advertisements

Hi I got a reckless driving ticket on my way to Florida in Virginia during my senior year spring break for going 100 in a 70. I know there is 100% no excuse what so ever, I put my mothers, everyone on the roads, and my life in danger and I could never ever apologize or regret it enough. I have to appear in court on tuesday with my mother, yes we have an attorney that cost $2,500.00... jfc. I just want to know what I should be expecting and if there is anything I can say to maybe get a bit of leniency? I know its outrageous to even think I'm going to get any, but all I can have is my hope right? I am going to prepare a letter because I know in the moment of my time to speak I will probably choke and cry. I am 17, never had any violations before this, (stupid stupid idiot me got a red light ticket about a month after I got the reckless driving ticket, I payed it with my own money and then took a remedial driving class for 6 hours one on one.) Besides that I have nothing against me. I know I will most likely get my licenses suspended and have to retake the licenses test, but I start college in less than 2 months.. Will I get privileges? How much is the fine going to be? What amount of points am I getting? I feel so stupid for driving that fast, I was in my mothers car while she rested her eyes because she was driving for so long running on no sleep, I took her trust and broke it. I am so stupid. We were going downhill in the mountains and in the moment I had no idea I was going that fast, her car was so smooth.. It was ridiculous what I have done, thank you for reading this. I appreciate any feedback. Respectfully, me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 01:33 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Bring a toothbrush with you.

Just listen to your attorney. Nothing we can say here that would help one bit.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:35 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Nothing

Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 PM

20 posts, read 31,257 times
I'm in the same situation as you, and I've stress out for almost 3 months (I will go to court in a couple weeks). However, mine is not as bad as yours, but it still make me nervous.

May I ask you this? In what county did you get pull over and what does your lawyer say?

Base on my research, as soon as you hit 100 mph, you will get some jail time. In Richmond area, you may get 30 days in jail but the judge might suspend 25 days, which mean you only have to serve 5 days in jail. The judge will probably suspend your Virginia license for 6 months, but your lawyer may be able to get the restricted license for you to go to school. But if you're from Ohio, you'll be fine. Virginia cannot suspend your Ohio license. As far as the fine, you probably looking at $500-$1000. You will also get -6 on your DMV record.

The good thing is you will not have a criminal record if this is convicted. I know a lot of people will tell you this is a class 1 misdemeanor, and it will go to your criminal record. I'm telling you this, it will not. Well, it is punish as a class 1 misdemeanor but only report to DMV, which mean it only go into your driving record. I called my lawyer and confirmed about this a month ago.

Good luck my friend! If you want, please share your story in court so that everyone knows what to prepare.

Last edited by Blackjava; 06-14-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjava View Post
I'm in the same situation as you, and I've stress out for almost 3 months (I will go to court in a couple weeks). However, mine is not as bad as yours, but it still make me nervous.

May I ask you this? In what county did you get pull over and what does your lawyer say?

Base on my research, as soon as you hit 100 mph, you will get some jail time. In Richmond area, you may get 30 days in jail but the judge might suspend 25 days, which mean you only have to serve 5 days in jail. The judge will probably suspend your Virginia license for 6 months, but your lawyer may be able to get the restricted license for you to go to school. But if you're from Ohio, you'll be fine. Virginia cannot suspend your Ohio license. As far as the fine, you probably looking at $500-$1000. You will also get -6 on your DMV record.

The good thing is you will not have a criminal record if this is convicted. I know a lot of people will tell you this is a class 1 misdemeanor, and it will go to your criminal record. I'm telling you this, it will not. Well, it is punish as a class 1 misdemeanor but only report to DMV, which mean it only go into your driving record. I called my lawyer and confirmed about this a month ago.

Good luck my friend! If you want, please share your story in court so that everyone knows what to prepare.
Please quit giving such poor advice.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Please quit giving such poor advice.
What did you mean by "poor advice"? I didn't give him any advice. I was just saying that the conviction of reckless driving will not go in his criminal record; instead, it goes in his driving record.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjava View Post
What did you mean by "poor advice"? I didn't give him any advice. I was just saying that the conviction of reckless driving will not go in his criminal record; instead, it goes in his driving record.
You're getting some bad info from the attorney. A Class 1 misdemeanor conviction in VA is a criminal conviction.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You're getting some bad info from the attorney. A Class 1 misdemeanor conviction in VA is a criminal conviction.
I thought you were saying it is not a criminal conviction in other thread. LOL! Now you changed it? You also mentioned that you've confirmed this with a commonwealth attorney? What happened?

You should read this article here:

Can a Reckless Driving Charge Be Expunged? | Caddell & Weiland

Do you agree that the conviction of reckless driving cannot be expunged? Why? because it goes in people's driving record, not criminal record.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:53 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emreed97 View Post
Hi I got a reckless driving ticket on my way to Florida in Virginia during my senior year spring break for going 100 in a 70. I know there is 100% no excuse what so ever, I put my mothers, everyone on the roads, and my life in danger and I could never ever apologize or regret it enough. I have to appear in court on tuesday with my mother, yes we have an attorney that cost $2,500.00... jfc. I just want to know what I should be expecting and if there is anything I can say to maybe get a bit of leniency? I know its outrageous to even think I'm going to get any, but all I can have is my hope right? I am going to prepare a letter because I know in the moment of my time to speak I will probably choke and cry. I am 17, never had any violations before this, (stupid stupid idiot me got a red light ticket about a month after I got the reckless driving ticket, I payed it with my own money and then took a remedial driving class for 6 hours one on one.) Besides that I have nothing against me. I know I will most likely get my licenses suspended and have to retake the licenses test, but I start college in less than 2 months.. Will I get privileges? How much is the fine going to be? What amount of points am I getting? I feel so stupid for driving that fast, I was in my mothers car while she rested her eyes because she was driving for so long running on no sleep, I took her trust and broke it. I am so stupid. We were going downhill in the mountains and in the moment I had no idea I was going that fast, her car was so smooth.. It was ridiculous what I have done, thank you for reading this. I appreciate any feedback. Respectfully, me.
My advice to you is not to expect leniency, but to act mature when you go to court. Don't ask for a slap, expect a punch ad hope for a slap in exchange for your maturity.

Frankly, the red light ticket after that makes me think the maturity might not be there.

Since our driving school systems don't seem to care to prevent reckless driving, I will just encourage you to, when free time permits you, take a few moments to Google "Nikki Catsouras". (I am warning anyone reading this post. If you're squeamish, don't do the search. That's why I'm not sharing anything else here)

Long story short, she was going way too fast and lost control. The inevitable followed shortly after. She was young, too young for that.

I just want you to pay attention to the aftermath, so you can understand what could have happened to you, your mom and others due to your actions. It's a perfect example of why it's just NOT WORTH IT to drive recklessly and it's easy to prevent.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,758 times
So basically I'll be getting a suspended licenses in Ohio, possible jail time, atleast $1000 fine and maybe more? Oh god i am so dumb...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia