U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 AM

193 posts, read 473,971 times

Advertisements

I will be heading down from Chicago to check out Franklin County as a possible place to relocate. I know there are several cities and I'm limited on time as I'll be checking out Floyd as well. Any suggestions on what cities to focus on? Appreciate any info! Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
j1n

1,240 posts, read 4,385,907 times
there are no cities in Franklin County . The largest town in Franklin County is Rocky Mount, and Rocky Mount is a small town at best. There's Boones Mill, but the "town" of Boones Mill is basically a small cluster of stores around a stoplight on rt. 220.
So to answer your question...
If you want to live near any sort of "town", check out Rocky Mount.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM

183 posts, read 712,706 times
The house I wrote you you about is also "near" Floyd. What are you and your husband looking for as far as area, lifestyle, etc.? Do either of you already have a job?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,878,842 times
If you're checking out Floyd first then I have a good route to Rocky Mount for you. Head on Route 221 North like you're heading back to Roanoke. But after about a mile, turn right on Franklin Pike. After about 2.4 miles take a right onto Shooting Creek Rd. After about 7.5 miles turn left on Route 40 East. You'll wind through Endicott and then you'll pass through Ferrum (one of Franklin County's small towns, home of Ferrum College). After a total of about 18 miles on Route 40 East you'll enter Rocky Mount. Route 40 East will wind your through the historic downtown and stay on it and you'll eventually get to the northeastern outskirts of Rocky Mount, where you can head North on Route 220 to get back to Roanoke in about 35 minutes. Alternatively, you can continue on Route 40 East a short while and take a left on Route 122 will take you to Smith Mountain Lake in about 20 minutes.

Boones Mill is really just a postal code for northern Franklin County. There is a town, yes, but it's only one square mile in size. But the dinky town does offer the basics (two convenience stores, two banks, post office, farm store, pharmacy, insurance agency, and, er, a web design agency). If you were interested in rural mountain and valley views in a rapidly gentrifying area then Boones Mill would probably be your best choice. Floyd will be noticeably cooler than Rocky Mount; they're not far from eachother but one is on the west side of the eastern continental divide and the other (Rocky Mount) is on the east/south and at least 1,000' lower in altitude. Floyd is much more rural than Franklin County, which can be a bonus if you want to avoid proximity to urban areas. Just make sure your lifestyle doesn't necessitate regular trips to Roanoke from Floyd because that will get real old in a hurry.

Sean

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM

193 posts, read 473,971 times
Thanks. I appreciate all your replies and help. I guess I'm just used to saying "cities" being from Chicago. Thanks for the correction
We more or less settled on Floyd but don't want to rule out Franklin county so we are heading there first for a few days prior to Floyd. I think we are more looking at Rocky Mount in that area.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 24,892 times
Hi, I'm moving to Franklin County (around Rocky Mount or Ferrum) from Arkansas this coming summer, and I'm having a difficult time finding ANY listings for rental apts or houses. I've looked at Apartments.com, cityfinder, the online site to the Roanoke Times, and even the Chamber of Commerce site for Franklin County. I can't even find one listing anywhere. I plan to drive out there in June to look around, but I'd like to have some sort of idea before I embark. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 AM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrycountyblues View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Franklin County (around Rocky Mount or Ferrum) from Arkansas this coming summer, and I'm having a difficult time finding ANY listings for rental apts or houses. I've looked at Apartments.com, cityfinder, the online site to the Roanoke Times, and even the Chamber of Commerce site for Franklin County. I can't even find one listing anywhere. I plan to drive out there in June to look around, but I'd like to have some sort of idea before I embark. Can anyone help? Thanks!
What kind of place are you looking for? How many bedrooms? Price range, etc. There are houses for rent here and there, but they are few and far between. Anything like that is found through a "for rent" sign. There's next to nothing (or absolutely nothing!) listed online. There are a few apartment complexes in Rocky Mount...some to steer clear of as well. Just curious...why a move from AR to Rocky Mount, VA?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 24,892 times
Default moving to franklin county

I'm interested in renting either a small house or an apartment. I guess I just need to drive out there and look around for signs. Can you tell me what to "steer clear of"? That would be good to know! I'm moving because I've accepted a position at Ferrum College. I love the mountains, and all my family is in VA and NC. I will miss Fayetteville, AR-- all the funky restaurants, music venues, arts, etc. I may even look into Floyd (I've heard that's a better town than Rocky Mount), but it's a bit of a drive to Ferrum. Anyway, any suggestions or information you have would be much appreciated!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrycountyblues View Post
I'm interested in renting either a small house or an apartment. I guess I just need to drive out there and look around for signs. Can you tell me what to "steer clear of"? That would be good to know! I'm moving because I've accepted a position at Ferrum College. I love the mountains, and all my family is in VA and NC. I will miss Fayetteville, AR-- all the funky restaurants, music venues, arts, etc. I may even look into Floyd (I've heard that's a better town than Rocky Mount), but it's a bit of a drive to Ferrum. Anyway, any suggestions or information you have would be much appreciated!
Congrats on our job at Ferrum! Ferrum is a really pretty campus. We hit the Ferrum Folklife Festival there last summer...really cool!
I don't want to start throwing around names of shady apartment complexes, but if you have a specific complex in mind, pm me and I'll "weigh in" with what I know or have heard. I will tell you this...I do not believe there are any apartment complexes in Rocky Mount that are really "good"!
Floyd to Ferrum will take you roughly 30 minutes and is about 23 miles. It's a windy, twisty, turny road! Rocky Mount to Ferrum will take you less than 20 minutes and is approximately 10 miles. Pretty straight shot...no twisty hilly roads to really speak of.
Floyd is a way hipper town than Rocky Mount. However it doesn't have anywhere near the amenities that Rocky Mount has (Lowes, Walmart, Food Lion, Kroger, a bunch of fast food joints, a couple of restaurants, etc, etc.). If you live in Floyd, chances are that you will find yourself in Roanoke or Rocky Mount fairly often.
You could definitely call a bunch of the local realtors and the aforementioned Real Estate Rentals and see if they have any rental listings. But I think your best bet is what you said...to drive the area and look for "FOR RENT" signs.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:53 PM
j1n

hey dogluver...
Do you have dogs by the way? Because that was the big issue we ran into..."Oh we don't allow dogs". If you don't have an animal...I remembered Honeywood Apartments (I think that's what it's called) in Boones Mill. I'd check that out. I think it would definitely fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia