Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 07:58 AM

11 posts, read 9,982 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm a young professional from Cincinnati, Ohio who is looking to start fresh in Virginia. My best friend and I have been researching areas to possibly relocate to. I know there have been plenty of other posts similar to mine and ive tried to read through and get an idea but i still need some help and any imput would be greatly appreciated.

She is pretty set on living in Norfolk or Hampton area. I am just trying to gather some more info and get an idea of some other possible areas that would fit both of our wants and needs for living, I'm not set on anywhere but I am trying to gather a list of places to visit and look into within the next 2 months. We would like to move by spring of 2016.

Here's some background about the 2 of us and some of our wants/needs. We both are 22, I work in the medical field and looking to pursue a career in nursing, she's a retail store manager, we enjoy nightlife and hope to move somewhere where there's plenty to do either within walking distance or a short drive. We are both willing to drive 45 minutes to work, we are familiar with traffic since we live in cinci theres always road work and accidents but we would love to avoid driving an 1hr+ to work. Obviously we would love to be close to the beach but would be willing to live further away (like an hour or so drive) if it means we get more bang for our buck and more amenities. We like the "city" feel. We live close to downtown cincinnati and there's lots hospitals, stores and hustle and bustle but there's also a close knit friendly feel where we live, so some where similar would be awesome. We each are willing to spend 600/month for rent. I know that was lengthy but anywhere in virginia sound like it would be a good fit for us?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:35 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessR123 View Post
We like the "city" feel. We live close to downtown cincinnati and there's lots hospitals, stores and hustle and bustle but there's also a close knit friendly feel where we live, so some where similar would be awesome. We each are willing to spend 600/month for rent.
Please understand that Hampton and Norfolk are full of transients because of the Navy presence. I doubt that you will see the "close-knit friendly" feel of Cincinnati, because so many people come from elsewhere.

I suggest visiting to see if you really like the area. Also check what $1200 a month will get you, as I suspect Cinci is a lot less expensive.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:47 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Please understand that Hampton and Norfolk are full of transients because of the Navy presence. I doubt that you will see the "close-knit friendly" feel of Cincinnati, because so many people come from elsewhere.
A bit exaggerated. Plenty of close knit friendly feel around here.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the responses. Like I said I'm not set on anywhere in particular, the roomie kind of is, but I don't think either of us have enough knowledge of the area or surrounding areas. I would just like to be somewhere where I can continue my education at a decent school, be within short distances to bars, stores, shops those kinds of things and maybe a short drive to a beach and be around some friendly people ( I know that's kind of subjective but I like being around people and being social). I may be living by myself or rooming up with my friend so somewhere safe-ish would be nice. I realize crime really happens anywhere but for 2 single ladies I'd rather be somewhere that isn't being robbed,shot at all the time or where I feel like I can't walk anywhere. Where I live now in cinci has its fair share of crime a few blocks away and our downtown can be really sketchy but like anywhere else you just have to use your brain and some common sense. I like being active so somewhere where I can run and walk would be awesome. If I'm by myself I'd like to keep my rent like 600 or under, if we roomie up we're looking more around 1200.
I know almost zero about Virginia, other than what I saw of Virginia beach when I was down there this past July and that I'd like to begin my adventure there. if any of those criteria are possible somewhere I'd love to add them to my "places to visit" list.

Anyone recommend any areas for me to visit that sounds like it may be a good or better fit? I'll be traveling down there in December for a week and then once more early spring to venture around and get a small feel for some places.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:24 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
I highly recommend you re-post your questions on the Virginia - Hampton Roads area Forum. There are a few good regular posters that know the area well and can give you natural answers. (One regular hater. You will know who he/she is.)

I'm retired and relatively new to the area, so others could do a better job than me answering and commenting. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:19 PM

Thank ya very much, I will do so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia