Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 02:08 AM

733 posts, read 1,756,878 times

Advertisements

Within the next couple of years, I plan on making my final move. I'm a 25 year old male. I'm currently living in Arkansas and have always wanted to live near The Appalachian Mountains. I'm big on hiking as well as NASCAR, which is another reason why I'm drawn to the area. I'm single with no kids, so I'm not concerned about schools and I'll be transferring jobs and both Lynchburg and Roanoke have several options for me there, so I'm also not concerned with employment. I'm also not concerned about night life as I'm not into bars, clubs ect. The main things I look at are low crime and cost of living. A good selection of parks and walking trails are also a plus. I'd like the city to be mostly clean and appealing, meaning that there's not a ton of rundown areas. Opinions would be greatly appreciated! Any questions, just ask. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,451,751 times
It sounds like a toss-up. Visit both and do the things you usually do -- grocery stores, libraries, coffee shops, etc to see where you feel more comfortable. I've heard that Roanoke is more "crunchy" and a bit more liberal. Lynchburg is, of course, home to Liberty University so there is a definite conservative bent. However, there are plenty of more liberal leaning people. There are also two liberal arts colleges -- Lynchburg College and Randolph College -- in Lynchburg that tend to be less well-known than Liberty.

Both have "run-down" areas but they also have revitalization and lovely areas. Both are in a beautiful part of Virginia with mountains, lakes, trails etc. so it'll really just be which "feels" like home.

Best of luck!

Old 04-10-2015, 03:30 PM

94 posts, read 154,803 times
You will love it here if you like hiking, Nascar. There are tons of outdoor activities from rafting, kayaking, hunting,
Snow skiing at Wintergreen, striped bass fishing at Smith Mountain Lake. You'll be close to it all in Lynchburg or
Roanoke. When I was in my 20 ss most of my pals were into the outdoor activities. Danny Hamblin has connections
to this area btw. Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
It sounds like a toss-up. Visit both and do the things you usually do -- grocery stores, libraries, coffee shops, etc to see where you feel more comfortable. I've heard that Roanoke is more "crunchy" and a bit more liberal. Lynchburg is, of course, home to Liberty University so there is a definite conservative bent. However, there are plenty of more liberal leaning people. There are also two liberal arts colleges -- Lynchburg College and Randolph College -- in Lynchburg that tend to be less well-known than Liberty.

Both have "run-down" areas but they also have revitalization and lovely areas. Both are in a beautiful part of Virginia with mountains, lakes, trails etc. so it'll really just be which "feels" like home.

Best of luck!
Yeah, it really did seem like a toss-up, which is why I was hoping someone would recommend one city over another. :P I guess if I live in one and find out I don't like it, it's only an hour or so move to the other, but a visit there is for sure in order. I did stay in Roanoke for a night during a vacation last year, but it was just one night and we didn't actually do anything or drive around the city. Since crime and cost of living seem to be quite equal, Roanoke will likely win since it is closer to Bristol and Martinsville along with the mountains.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:59 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,064,275 times
Yeah based on your criteria it is hard to pick.

Possible pluses for Roanoke....mountains all around you with the Appalachian Trail on one side and the BR Parkway on the other.

Roanoke has a few shabby parts but I suspect L'burg does too.

Lynchburg would be somewhat closer to DC, Richmond and the beach...if that is an issue.

Lynchburg has a bigger college presence than Roanoke (VT and Radford are close to Roanoke though). The elephant in the room is the cultural presence of Liberty University and without getting back into that can of worms, it could be a plus or a minus for you.

Put it this way, if one of the largest atheist colleges in the world hosting nationally prominent atheist speakers on a regular basis were in Roanoke, it would have an effect on life here. But plenty of folks who do not lean Liberty at all haves testified on this forum that they are able to function in Lynchburg anyway LOL.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Yeah based on your criteria it is hard to pick.

Possible pluses for Roanoke....mountains all around you with the Appalachian Trail on one side and the BR Parkway on the other.

Roanoke has a few shabby parts but I suspect L'burg does too.

Lynchburg would be somewhat closer to DC, Richmond and the beach...if that is an issue.

Lynchburg has a bigger college presence than Roanoke (VT and Radford are close to Roanoke though). The elephant in the room is the cultural presence of Liberty University and without getting back into that can of worms, it could be a plus or a minus for you.

Put it this way, if one of the largest atheist colleges in the world hosting nationally prominent atheist speakers on a regular basis were in Roanoke, it would have an effect on life here. But plenty of folks who do not lean Liberty at all haves testified on this forum that they are able to function in Lynchburg anyway LOL.

Good luck!
Yeah, I'm not big into oceans, so I feel like if I did ever want to take a trip to Virginia Beach, the extra hour it'd take to get there from Roanoke wouldn't be an issue. So usually if you don't make a big deal out of it, then it wont be an issue, but say I was an Atheist...Roanoke would possibly be the better choice? I wasn't sure what Liberty College was, but after taking a look online, that college may be a reason for me to choose Roanoke over Lynchburg. Like you, I'm not looking to start a discussion on this, but not many Christian girls are cool with dating an Atheist guy.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 PM

363 posts, read 557,574 times
While you would be fine in Lynchburg the way you are. You may feel more comfortable in Roanoke without the largest Christian college in the world in your back yard. Let me say there is nothing wrong with liberty and they have done ALOT for Lynchburg and continue to do so. I feel it's a great college, but if you feel uncomfortable with it then that is fine too. I can fully recommend both cities, but I think you may like Roanoke more. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,607 times
If you are looking for a place to live there are [link:[url]www.langleyrentals.net[/url] | Apts in Lynchburg] with pretty good leasing options

Last edited by clockworx; 01-20-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia