Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 PM

323 posts, read 831,151 times

Advertisements

I'm living in TX right now..in the military. I will be getting out within the next two years. I am in the medical field, specifically radiology. My wife is from VA, so we will probably re-locate there after I get out. I would prefer a gov't job, but will take a non gov't job over nothing. Where are the big hospitals in VA outside of NoVA. I spent some time in DC Metro...way too expensive. I was thinking maybe Charlottesville or Staunton/Waynesboro. We have two kids, so quality schools are important. Can't quite say what we want to spend on a house, as prices are much different in VA than here in TX. Our budget here is about 200K on a house. Commute is no problem, I am used to anything between 10 min and 1 hr each way. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 30,874 times
There are several large Medical Centers in the Staunton-Charlottesville area, there is the UVA medical Center, and Martha Jefferson Hospital in C-Ville, AMC near Staunton, and RMH in Harrisonburg which is half hour north of Staunton. 200K will buy a good home in the Staunton area (look on Saarealtor.com for area home prices), however prices in Charlottesville are about twice Staunton even though they are half an hour by Interstate 64 apart. The Public Schools in the area are good but not excellent, Blue Ridge Community College near Staunton is considered one of the best in the country and has a guaranteed admission program with Virginia Colleges.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 AM

743 posts, read 3,907,649 times
Fredericksburg has Mary Washington Hospital, which is building 2 branches (one in Stafford county, and one in Spotsylvania county) A new hospital is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2009 near Massaponax in Spotsylvania county. I would assume though that it will probably actually open in 2010.

The Fredericksburg area is going from a hospital monopoly, to a good amount of competition... which is good for everyone I think.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 PM

567 posts, read 2,146,248 times
Default Roanoke/Carilion

Check out Carilion Clinic. Carilion and the Roanoke area.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 AM

111 posts, read 429,741 times
VCU Health System in Richmond is huge and nationally recognized for many things. Of course, Bon Secour and the other biggies are represented well in metro Richmond.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM

97 posts, read 431,792 times
200 will not buy you a lot of house in Charlottesville or even Albemarle Co, esp coming from TX.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,903,885 times
Default Carillion

Carillion Hospitals is building a major complex in Roanoke. It is hoped the new facility will resemble the Cleveland Clinic. I understand there are many new positions currently advertised. Roanoke prices would be much easier on one's
budget than in the northern part of the state, plus the area is considered the nicest place to live in Virginia. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia