Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern VA. I need a nice country escape from the concrete pit i know as NoVA for a few days. I have the week of March 10-15 off from work and school. I hear the mountains are nice but what is there to do while there? I'm not for mountain climbing or skiing. Just seeing no concrete for miles will be a vacation enough for me. So any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,664,790 times
You could head down to the sw corner of VA...graysons highlands state park. It's supposed to look very "non-VA" there...actually supposed to resemble the foothills of Montana. There are wild ponies, etc. Depending on how much you want to rough it...ou could get a motel near there, maybe a KOA cabin, or throw up a tent!
Shenandoah and Skyline Drive are always an option too.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I live in Northern VA. I need a nice country escape from the concrete pit i know as NoVA for a few days. I have the week of March 10-15 off from work and school. I hear the mountains are nice but what is there to do while there? I'm not for mountain climbing or skiing. Just seeing no concrete for miles will be a vacation enough for me. So any ideas?
I would recommend you head to Abingdon or Damascus - great little communities. Look at the Martha Washington Inn in Abingdon if you would like to visit a nice spa - The Martha Washington Inn

In Damascus, visit one of the bike shops to get a bike rental and a ride up to the start of the Virginia Creeper Trail - this is an AWESOME good time! (Though now that I think about it, if the weather is very cold you might want to forgo this until another time But it is definitely worth the trip, even if you aren't into biking, which I am not. The views are amazing and the day very relaxing as you ride thru farmers fields along the New River -
Creeper Trail Information - Damascus, Virginia.

If you don't want to go quite that far southwest, try staying somewhere on the Blue Ridge Parkway closer to Fancy Gap. Here is a great place I'd recommend - Fiddler's Roost (actually nearer to Galax), very scenic, private, relaxing - Fiddler's Roost Cabins - Galax, Virginia - BBOnline.com / Introduction (http://www.bbonline.com/va/fiddlersroost/ - broken link).

Grayson Highlands is also a must see, but would most likely be closed that time of year due to weather - at that elevation they get a lot of ice and snow sometimes. But do plan to try to see it another time. Have a great few days off!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,773,425 times
I agree wholeheartedly with the above 2 posters and would like to add The Breaks Interstate Park, which is a beautiful park on the VA/KY border. They have cabins, campground, pool, live music at the amphitheater, a wonderful mountaintop restaurant, a gift shop full of locally-made crafts and gifts, an old cabin & still, a little museum, hiking trails, a hotel, etc. I love it up there and go almost every year. You will definitely find peace and quiet there...and very little concrete!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM

210 posts, read 1,140,524 times
Check out Shenandoah Valley Bed and Breakfast Virginia Steeles Tavern VA Lodging it is not far from Lexington Virginian, sets right off the Blue Ridge Parkway and Crabtree falls. At least look at the website.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,017,382 times
Douthat State Park near Clifton Forge, just off I-64 was my favorite vacation spot when I lived in Virginia. Consider renting a cabin in the park for 3 days. If you enjoy hiking, there are 40 miles of trails right in the park. Endless opportunities for short loop hikes or simply sitting by the fire in your cabin.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:16 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,773,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
Check out Shenandoah Valley Bed and Breakfast Virginia Steeles Tavern VA Lodging it is not far from Lexington Virginian, sets right off the Blue Ridge Parkway and Crabtree falls. At least look at the website.
Nice website - looks like my kind of place...I'll have to try it sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia