Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 AM

269 posts, read 784,301 times

Advertisements

Moving to Virginia, and I have to say I'm nervous learning about the State's Reckless Driving laws. Especially since the consequences appear similar to a DUI and can leave a lasting criminal record that you would have to explain away to future employers

So it actually looks like it's fairly easy to get arrested for reckless driving. Failing to use your turn signal, passing a vehicle, 85 mph in a 70. These seem a little extreme, and I'm wondering why Virginia is far away the harshest state as to how they interpret what constitutes Reckless Driving.

Is anyone else concerned about this, or is the attitude here "don't speed, use your turn signal, and you have nothing to worry about".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:33 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
So it actually looks like it's fairly easy to get arrested for reckless driving. Failing to use your turn signal, passing a vehicle, 85 mph in a 70. These seem a little extreme, and I'm wondering why Virginia is far away the harshest state as to how they interpret what constitutes Reckless Driving.
It's actually 20mph over the posted speed limit or anything over 80mph. So going 75mph in a 55mph or 80mph in a 70mph may get you a reckless citation. And it's at the officers discretion, so it's not automatically reckless.

Quote:
Is anyone else concerned about this, or is the attitude here "don't speed, use your turn signal, and you have nothing to worry about".
That's pretty much my attitude. I admittedly exceed the speed limit at times (depending on road conditions and types of road - neighborhoods versus I495) but I usually don't go more than 10-12mph over and I'm typically going with the flow of traffic.

Using a turn signal is not only the law, but it's common sense. I've seen many near misses because idiots didn't indicate which direction they were turning or their intentions to merge/change lanes. So yeah, please always use your turn signal.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,253,619 times
Quote:
Moving to Virginia, and I have to say I'm nervous learning about the State's Reckless Driving laws. Especially since the consequences appear similar to a DUI and can leave a lasting criminal record that you would have to explain away to future employers

Check WTOP.com although I'm not positive. But VA was actually rated #7 in terms of a tough RD law. Can't remember who was 1-6. That being said. It is not easy to get a RD charge against you. Yes, anything over 80 or 20 over a posted limit can get you a RD charge it's something that just doesn't happen. One's foot has to press the accelerator to make this happen. I've been in VA since 73 and started driving in 76 and NO reckless charge ever. Actually I did get one as a teenager (18) but not for speed. Went to court with no lawyer and told the judge that everything the officer said was correct but this is why I did what I did. I was dressed well, for the 70's, and the judge reduced it ti improper driving which had zero issues with me getting hired as a police later on. Even with the RD charge on their-reduced to improper, I still got hired and they, the PD, knew the improper was a reduction from an RD charge. Don't let a few horror stories dissuade from moving somewhere.

Oh yeah. Not using your turn signal will not bring a RD charge. Unless your actions cause a crash then you have nothing to worry about when most sub-sections of the code.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:38 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,837,747 times
I agree with the other posters. VA as a whole is ok. I would, however, be extra careful if driving through Emporia and Hopewell. Those two cities are the most notorious speed traps in VA. There's been articles in the local papers over the years about Emporia's excessive enforcement and Hopewell made national news recently for using the tiny 2-mile stretch of I-295 that runs through their jurisdiction as a cash cow.

Speed limit rises to 60 mph on parts of U.S. 58 | Traffic & Transportation | pilotonline.com

Speed trap profits could come to end in small towns, with new laws - CBS News

There have also been numerous attempts to raise the Reckless Driving threshold from 80mph to 85mph, but it gets shot down in flames every time. This one article sums it all up.

Bill to amend Va.

Quote:
The Criminal Subcommittee of the House Committee on Courts of Justice voted 7-2 against the bill. Opponents cited several concerns, including a possible fiscal impact and that faster speeds lead to more crashes
At least they're honest about it...

Old 09-09-2016, 05:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,426,227 times
Quote:

I drive over a 100k a year and have no issues, just as 99% of people don't. Pretty easy, don't drive recklessly and don't worry about it. If you don't use a turn signal you get a ticket for not using a turn signal not reckless. There is a lower end charge called "general reckless" which can be used for the moron thats bouncing all over the place in and out changing lanes 20 times to get a 3 car lead. Those people absolutely deserve it. If you don't think people flying around people at almost 20mph past the limit isn't reckless you need to rethink driving. I'm a professional driver and watch people do stupid things that SHOULD get them killed every day, I'm glad we have good laws. You get on the roads, you know what the limits are, you know you have turn signals and how to use them..... So whats the problem? Your an adult, follow the rules.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:57 PM

269 posts, read 784,301 times
The reason I'm worried is fluke speed traps. I've had one ticket in seven years in my Prius, and that was for going 22 over a posted 25 mph speed limit.

Before everyone gets Captain Hindsight on me, I was cruising from New Mexico to Arizona on a highway with speeds that range from 65-55 mph for about 50 miles. I head down a steep hill, and catch glimpse of a speed limit 25 sign. I slowed down, but when I crossed the sign I was still at 47 mph and decelerating. There was a speed camera not even 10 feet from the sign, on a downhill slope.

Now, yes, I was speeding. But although I consider myself a very attentive driver, not even I caught that. I don't want to fall victim to a speed trap and find myself facing a reckless driving charge. A job is bringing me here, but I'm not excited about the fine print of what constitutes reckless driving as I travel A LOT.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:41 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,253,619 times
Quote:
The reason I'm worried is fluke speed traps. I've had one ticket in seven years in my Prius, and that was for going 22 over a posted 25 mph speed limit.

Before everyone gets Captain Hindsight on me, I was cruising from New Mexico to Arizona on a highway with speeds that range from 65-55 mph for about 50 miles. I head down a steep hill, and catch glimpse of a speed limit 25 sign. I slowed down, but when I crossed the sign I was still at 47 mph and decelerating. There was a speed camera not even 10 feet from the sign, on a downhill slope.

Now, yes, I was speeding. But although I consider myself a very attentive driver, not even I caught that. I don't want to fall victim to a speed trap and find myself facing a reckless driving charge. A job is bringing me here, but I'm not excited about the fine print of what constitutes reckless driving as I travel A LOT.
Not sure what else to say. The statistics are strongly in your favor. My kids grew up in VA. No RD tickets. My wife has been in VA since 74. No RD tickets. Many of my relatives and friends have been here for as many years. Some have received speeding tickets but none a reckless charge. You're overthinking this.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:22 PM

19,238 posts, read 17,117,587 times
35+ years in the state and not one moving violation, as posted 99% have no problems.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 AM

553 posts, read 617,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Check WTOP.com although I'm not positive. But VA was actually rated #7 in terms of a tough RD law. Can't remember who was 1-6.
Was it sourced from this report? It's important to note that:

1) That particular ranking considered both RD and speeding laws and enforcement
2) There was a particularly heavy weight given to the use of speed cameras (five of the six states above VA in the ranking used them, and all five would have been equal or below VA without the cameras)
3) The possibility of an 81/70 RD (though not necessarily enforced that way) should have given VA at least an extra half-point in the ratings, and possibly a full point; instead, Wallethub treated the VA RD threshold as simply 20 over and scored it that way.
4) Other states rated higher even when just considering the RD penalties; they typically have higher thresholds but also stiffer penalties (such as mandatory jail time, like in Arkansas).

Old 09-13-2016, 02:01 PM

65 posts, read 78,352 times
Default Reckless Driving?

If "reckless" driving in VA is considered speeding 20 miles over the posted speed limit, then most of the drivers, trucks, etc
on I*81 between Roanoke-Blacksburg are guilty. The speed limit is 60, on an interstate with only 2 lanes in each direction in
a mountainous region with accidents, back ups almost daily. Most drivers are going past 80mph!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia