Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 05:14 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,563,537 times

Advertisements

There's no "South Virginia?" It's been said, lol, that the official region of "South Virginia" starts at C'Ville and ends at the NC border. Where's this region at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 11:48 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,825,123 times
^^ Yeah, this was a 5-year old map from when I'd lived in VA for a year.

Here's the more recent map I use, though I welcome any feedback here too!

• Red - Hampton Roads (1,638,685)
  • Orange - Tidewater (215,668)
  • Yellow - Northern Virginia (3,161,137)
  • Green - Shenandoah Valley (641,252)
  • Blue - Appalachia (567,700)
  • Purple - Southside (530,350)
  • Pink - Piedmont (1,658,712)

Of course, there are still some fuzzy areas where I could see both making sense:
  • Blacksburg: Is it more Appalachia or Shenandoah Valley? It's topographically in both
  • Franklin and Southampton: Are they more Southside or Hampton Roads?
  • Lynchburg: Is it more Piedmont or Southside?
  • Petersburg/Hopewell: Is it more Piedmont or Southside? (it's economically attached to Greater Richmond, but the African-African and Southern vibe is much more akin to Southside)
  • Winchester: It's both Shenandoah Valley and part of the Washington-Baltimore CSA.

Last edited by manitopiaaa; 02-05-2021 at 11:59 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 01:37 PM

771 posts, read 628,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Of course, there are still some fuzzy areas where I could see both making sense:
  • Blacksburg: Is it more Appalachia or Shenandoah Valley? It's topographically in both
  • Petersburg/Hopewell: Is it more Piedmont or Southside? (it's economically attached to Greater Richmond, but the African-African and Southern vibe is much more akin to Southside)
  • Winchester: It's both Shenandoah Valley and part of the Washington-Baltimore CSA.
Lynchburg is probably more Piedmont than Southside. In other words, I'd compare Lynchburg to Charlottesville before I'd compare it to Danville, but it's really close. If anything, Lynchburg is borderline Southside. Liberty University certainly makes the city feel more "southern" than other areas in Virginia.

Petersburg is borderline Southside, too. It's connected to Southside via I-85 in a way that Richmond isn't.

Good map, although I would extend Southside a little further north. Farmville is Southside, IMO.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:46 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,908 times
I like that map- the only things I would change is to extend Appalachia up past Roanoke and call it all 'Southwest Virginia.' We don't really call anywhere in Virginia 'Appalachia.' I've also never really thought of Lynchburg as Southside but I guess it is close- it's more in the 'Piedmont' region if there is one. The piedmont type terrain of rolling hills extends up into Northern Virginia and into Central Maryland but the dialect component of it would not. At least not after suburbia moved in.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 02-05-2021 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-09-2021, 02:11 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
IMO, the attached is a more accurate map of Virginia's regions. But even this map is not wholly accurate as "Hampton Roads" should be titled "Tidewater", and the Eastern Shore should be it's own region. At least, this is what I was taught while growing up in the Piedmont region.
This one makes a lot more sense to me

Old 02-13-2021, 09:53 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I like that map- the only things I would change is to extend Appalachia up past Roanoke and call it all 'Southwest Virginia.' We don't really call anywhere in Virginia 'Appalachia.' I've also never really thought of Lynchburg as Southside but I guess it is close- it's more in the 'Piedmont' region if there is one. The piedmont type terrain of rolling hills extends up into Northern Virginia and into Central Maryland but the dialect component of it would not. At least not after suburbia moved in.
Roanoke to Lee County is 3-4 hours away. Lexington, for example, is not southwest VA.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:49 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
I think my comments from 5 years ago are still largely valid.

NOVA is too big. I know there have been a dozen or so posts about certain counties being in or "soon to be in" the DC MSA, but MSA boundaries aren't a criterion for any of the other regional definitions, so... That said, I think there is a "cultural NOVA" in the suburban non-rural counties, and Orange, Greene, Madison, etc., regardless of commutershed, aren't "culturally NOVA."

Next, New Kent and Charles City counties aren't in the Piedmont. They're low, swampy Tidewater places.

Nobody has changed the course of the Shenandoah River to run south into Roanoke. That region really ends at the Rockbridge/Botetourt border. The Roanoke Valley is a separate thing, more connected with the New River Valley area and/or grouped with Southwest VA.

Winchester city, Frederick, Clarke, Warren counties are in the Shenandoah Valley, and are not part of NOVA (Yes, I know Clarke and Warren counties are in the DC MSA).

The map HokieFan posted a while back really is the best one I've seen yet on this thread.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:43 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Roanoke to Lee County is 3-4 hours away. Lexington, for example, is not southwest VA.
Never said Lexington was...Roanoke is definitely SW Virginia.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:16 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,065,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Never said Lexington was...Roanoke is definitely SW Virginia.
Good thoughts....There was a lot of pushback locally when Roanoke wound up in the Shenandoah Valley section of the Virginia state tourist guides.

https://roanoke.com/business/roanoke...65afb1a7b.html

Old 02-14-2021, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 10,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

I would say Franklin and Southampton are more Southside. Yes it’s very close to Suffolk, which is the westernmost vertex of the Hampton Roads metro but Franklin is far enough away and functions as a regional hub for its surrounding area (Courtland, Boykins, Windsor, northern Hertford County NC) with grocery stores, restaurants, and Walmart the same way Emporia and South Hill act as regional hubs.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I would also lump New Kent and Charles City with Tidewater. I possibly may even put eastern Henrico and Hanover in Tidewater but that might be a stretch.

As far as the Tri-Cities area goes, Petersburg is a little tricky. There are some Piedmont elements (I-85 comes to mind) but also some undeniable Southside elements. Hopewell is Southside through and through. I would say Colonial Heights has more of a Piedmont vibe, as it resembles Chester and Midlothian in many ways, especially along the US 1/301 corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia