Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 19,501 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Halifax, County, and my husband grew up in Danville, VA. We left when we went to do the college thing, and this past year we've been living in central VA where I teach high school. We don't like it here. Everything is very expensive, we don't know anyone, and this area is even more rural than back home.

We were thinking we'd like to go back home to Southside. Now, I grew up in the area, so I know about the drugs, the high crime, and the poor employment. But, we both lived there for 18 years, we knew where not to go after dark, and it was just fine. As a teacher, I'm fairly certain I could get a secure job, and since my husband doesn't have a degree just yet, he would be content to work at a retail or service store.

Ideally we'd just like to go back home for a few more years, save some money, spend some time with friends and family, get more work experience, and maybe another degree (I realize it would have to be online as we don't have much in the way of higher education in southside), and then in a few years, move on.

I've had some family members say this is a horrible mistake, and some family members start looking for places for us to move: on their road. Somehow I think they be a bit impartial.

Does this sound like a horrible idea? And is there an area of Southside VA you would recommend over others (ie Martinsville is okay, but definately not Danville, etc).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw2z View Post
We were thinking we'd like to go back home to Southside. Now, I grew up in the area, so I know about the drugs, the high crime, and the poor employment. But, we both lived there for 18 years, we knew where not to go after dark, and it was just fine. As a teacher, I'm fairly certain I could get a secure job, and since my husband doesn't have a degree just yet, he would be content to work at a retail or service store.
I'm a little confused. When you say "southside", I tend to think of the south side of a city...i.e. "Southside Chicago" or something. But then you mention Martinsville and Danville which leads me think you are referring to Southwestern VA. But then the above quoted..."the drugs, the high crime, and the poor employment..." doesn't really jive with what I see of Southwestern VA.
If you are considering the Martinsville or Danville areas, I would instead seriously consider checking out Roanoke, Blacksburg, Lynchburg, etc...those places will offer you low cost of living, low crime, etc.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,501 times
We have always called southside the area of Danville, Martinsville, etc. It's not really Southwestern VA. South Central I guess would be a better phrase for it.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,766 times
Default Wish I had your answers

I am familar with all the areas you mentioned. To me also, Southside Va is the region covering Danville,South Boston,Farmville, and Martinsville areas. in broadest terms. I live in Pittsylvania County.

I travel most of those areas, and to be honest Halifax County has more employment opportunties at present than Pittsylvania County offers.

At one time, I considered the areas such as Blackstone and Kenbridge, and Chase City to be remote , but now they have acquired their own charm.

But since you are former resident of Halifax County, not sure where to suggest to you. I am sometimes surprised to find things in all of the small towns I visit.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 PM

96 posts, read 385,894 times
I think Farmville is a nice little town, not far from wher you want to be either. It has a college and a thriving downtown...plus an easy drive to Richmond. I've been to Martinsville several times, and I just don't find it very appealing in the least...

Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I think Farmville is a nice little town, not far from wher you want to be either. It has a college and a thriving downtown...plus an easy drive to Richmond. I've been to Martinsville several times, and I just don't find it very appealing in the least...
My sentiments exactly, the countryside is very pretty in that area and real estate is not as expensive as some other areas.

Maybe I will visit Farmville again soon, I passed through there last summer, after an absence of many years and was really shocked at the new things there. But I am sure faults can be found, as in any other place one choses to live at. Personally I go by this guideline:

A: Public Libraries
B. Health Care Facilities
C. Crime Rate
D. Natural Surroundings/Terrain
E. No Factories in area spewing pollutants!
F. Bike Trails or suitable areas to Bike ride and Drivers attitude toward Cyclists.
G. Cost of Living
H. Property Tax Rates

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 02-27-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 32,529 times
Default Farmville might be good for you

Farmville is in south-central Virginia, about 1.5 hours away from Charlotteville and Richmond, and an hour east of Lynchburg (about a half-hour east of Appomattox).

Farmville is a quiet place, though growing. Longwood University has about 6,000 students and is one of the main employers, along with Centra Southside Hospital. It's in the middle of rural Virginia, so if you like to hunt, fish (both are great - several quality lakes nearby for bass & crappie fishing), horseback ride, etc., you'll enjoy Farmville life. There's also a new golf resort called The Manor Resort.

They're just beginning to open parts of the High Bridge Trail, which will run between Burkeville in the east and Appomattox to the west. The trail - which is being built on the old railroad bed, and will accommodate hikers, bicyclers and horseback riders - will go through the heart of Farmville. In August 2008, they opened the first few miles of the trail, running from Farmville east to a point near the High Bridge. All of the trail will open in the next 1-2 years.

The Farmville area governments are trying to bring in tourism, leisure activities and non-polluting light industry, to keep the good quality of life.

In terms of shopping, Green Front Furniture is a real "mecca" for people wanting quality furniture and imported rugs at low prices. There are also some good antique stores. Farmville is the area shopping hub, so it has the local Wal-Mart and Lowe's, plus the only Starbucks for miles around. It's true that there are a lot of empty stores on Main Street downtown - south of the Green Front warehouse buildings - but that's because there's not enough easy parking right there. Stores that have moved from downtown Main Street to other shopping areas with more parking (like Schewel's furniture and Carrington's Music) have gotten a lot more business.

The Hampton Inn, which opened 3 years ago and is located in the Sunchase development on E. Third St., is almost completely booked 100% of the time, and last year got the Hampton award for the chain's best Virginia hotel! So, people appreciate quality and good service. According to the paper, two other motel chains are going to build in Farmville soon.

There's a small but growing arts scene in Farmville. Both Longwood University and Hampden-Sydney College (located just south of town) have good arts programs, and the Longwood Center for the Visual Arts is a small but active art gallery in the middle of town that offers fun arts-crafts programs for kids. An art gallery name j. fergeson just opened in town. There's a live-theater group called The Waterworks Players, and both colleges offer good theater productions during the school year. The live-music scene is small, but there are several restaurants in town offering live music during the week.

Check out The Farmville Directory (FarmvilleDirectory.com), a locally run site that keeps up with new shops and businesses, to get a better idea of what's in town.

There's not much crime in Farmville - the town is crawling with cops, due to its being the county seat and home to Longwood University and Hampden-Sydney College (each has its own police force, in addition to the county sheriff's deputies, Farmville police and a fair number of VA state police that cruise through). In terms of health care, the regional hospital (Centra Southside) is there, along with a lot of related providers like physical therapists, etc. The hospital was bought recently by Centra - which has 2 other Lynchburg hospitals - and Centra has pumped in money and staff to Southside Hospital to improve its quality of care. You can get cardiovascular, surgery, maternity and a lot of other treatments more readily there now.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
I'm a little confused. When you say "southside", I tend to think of the south side of a city...i.e. "Southside Chicago" or something. But then you mention Martinsville and Danville which leads me think you are referring to Southwestern VA. But then the above quoted..."the drugs, the high crime, and the poor employment..." doesn't really jive with what I see of Southwestern VA.
If you are considering the Martinsville or Danville areas, I would instead seriously consider checking out Roanoke, Blacksburg, Lynchburg, etc...those places will offer you low cost of living, low crime, etc.
Well, if he is talking about SW Virginia, there's not a lot of crime in the areas that I know, but there is a bit of a drug problem and EXTREMELY poor employment unless you work in nursing, coal mining, or heavy machinery (and possibly social work). The drug problem is more underground, but there are a couple of meth labs in the area that have blown up in houses that people would not expect there to be a meth lab.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:33 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
My brother works in a store in South Boston; I can find out how things look in his area. There was a thread here about South Boston recently; I think I posted links to the local newspapers and tourism sites.

When I was last in the area, we visited Clarksville, on the Kerr Reservoir (aka Buggs Island Lake). It looked like a nice town.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 AM

Default Some Small Towns

1. Farmville
2. Keysville
3. Chase City
4. Blackstone
5. Victoria
6. Kenbridge
7. Burkeville
8. South Boston-Where original poster said nay to live.
9. Halifax " "
10. Clarksville
11. Boydton
12. Amelia

Have I omitted any in the South Central Area of Va?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia