Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 04:44 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times

Advertisements

Is the store open yet, or has an opening date been set ? I see no notice on line.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:43 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
It's not open yet and there's been no mention of it since last November when the permit was issued. I haven't driven by the site yet, so I don't know how much progress has been made so far. I know many locations in NC have already opened.

Lidl work begins: Building permit issued for 36,000-square-foot grocery store | Business | godanriver.com

I'll wait a week after they open before I check out Lidl. Traffic in Danville is terrible as it is. I can only imagine what it'll be like on opening day! Lol.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM

Here's a recent article from yesterday about Lidl.

Lidl yet to set opening date for Danville | Business | godanriver.com

Quote:
The opening of the Lidl grocery store on Piedmont Drive has not been set by the company, but other stores in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina have begun to open.

Lidl announced in May that 20 stores would open this summer, but Danville’s store was not on the list.

“We haven’t set the opening date of the Danville store yet, but I’m happy to follow up when we do,” Jessica Haggard, of Lidl’s public relations department, told the Register & Bee in an email Thursday.

Hiring for the Danville store appears to be done. Lidl had scheduled two job fairs at Danville Community College in June to hire 100 people, but cancelled the fairs when the jobs filled prior to the job fairs.
Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-13-2017 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 06:29 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2017, 05:05 PM

Opening date has finally been announced.

Lidl grocery store opening in Danville Sept. 7 | Business | godanriver.com

Quote:
The long-awaited opening date for the Lidl grocery store that has been under construction in Danville has been announced, and local shoppers will have a new grocery option beginning Sept. 7.

Be prepared for a mob at the store the first day, Lidl spokesperson Will Harwood said.

“We’ve had people camp out the night before waiting for the store to open,” Harwood said.Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-13-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 01:20 PM

Lidl opens in Danville to crowd of hundreds | Danville | godanriver.com

Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 PM

I finally decided to stop by Lidl the other day. My opinion? Not worth the hype. Some of the prices were good on store brand items, but the name brands are more expensive than Food Lion & Walmart. Despite the store's size, the selection wasn't all that great, although the bakery wasn't bad. I live a few miles outside of city limits, so it's not worth the gas to me.

I also can't help but wonder how long Lidl will last in Danville. I give it 5 years, tops. There was hardly anyone there when I went. The location is a bit off the beaten path and it also may not be well-liked for the reasons I previously mentioned.

Lidl may be Aldi's competitor, but I don't think Aldi has anything to worry about, at least in Danville.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:07 AM

Choice....we all like choices, what works for some will not work for others. I like the food prices and quality at Lidl/Aldi, hate the high prices at Food Lion. Broccoli yesterday, $.69/lb, whole chicken $.69/lb, cheddar cheese, $1.45/lb. What I dislike about Lidl is the crap that takes up the center rear of the store. It is stuff like cheap Harbor Freight type tools, pajamas, sox, underwear, etc. available at Dollar stores everywhere. When I shop for groceries, I want a grocery store....when I want cheap Chinese manufactured junk, I'll go to Walmart or Harbor Freight. Speaking of the bakery...try the German Sourdough bread.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Choice....we all like choices, what works for some will not work for others. I like the food prices and quality at Lidl/Aldi, hate the high prices at Food Lion. Broccoli yesterday, $.69/lb, whole chicken $.69/lb, cheddar cheese, $1.45/lb.
I'm not a fan of Food Lion, either. Most of their store brand products have really went downhill in quality, IMO. Trying to find fresh produce is like looking for a needle in a haystack and as you mentioned, the prices are high.

Quote:
What I dislike about Lidl is the crap that takes up the center rear of the store. It is stuff like cheap Harbor Freight type tools, pajamas, sox, underwear, etc. available at Dollar stores everywhere. When I shop for groceries, I want a grocery store....when I want cheap Chinese manufactured junk, I'll go to Walmart or Harbor Freight.
Exactly! They would have a much better selection of groceries if they did away with that other crap. Aldi was guilty of it too, but nowhere near as much as Lidl.

Quote:
Speaking of the bakery...try the German Sourdough bread.
I'll keep that in mind.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I also can't help but wonder how long Lidl will last in Danville. I give it 5 years, tops.
Called it!

https://godanriver.com/danvilles-und...8e60c2f66.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia