Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 880 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in the small town just a few minutes from the boarder of NC. I've been throwing around the idea of homesteading for awhile and I technically have a chance at free land from my parents. However, I am tossing around the idea of finding a town that has fewer then a few thousand people. I'd love to find a small town where you could ride into town to the general store on horseback, or goat/dog power. Where you could plop up a veggie stand to sell off excess production, and the land isn't totally expensive.

I've seen a few snarky comments on others posts saying "join the Amish" but I don't want to go that deep into off the grid life style. Are there any communities that are more homestead oriented with the town being really old architecture sort of like Lynnville, TN? or some parts of Danville/Roanoke VA.

I want the simple life, but would like to find a community that shares some of the same interests.

If not, does anyone know some of the permit requirements for Henry County VA?
Like what the minimum size for a house needs to be? (i'm only on person so anything bigger than 400sqft feels daunting) [not having luck on county website]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 03:37 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warband View Post
I currently live in the small town just a few minutes from the boarder of NC. I've been throwing around the idea of homesteading for awhile and I technically have a chance at free land from my parents. However, I am tossing around the idea of finding a town that has fewer then a few thousand people. I'd love to find a small town where you could ride into town to the general store on horseback, or goat/dog power.
You should check out Love Valley NC.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/52918
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia