U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 06:42 PM

394 posts, read 118,362 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a few different states, but never in an area that didn't have natural gas available to your home. Most of what I see there is electric for things such as stove and water heater. I would think it would be beneficial to have LP gas for that; is there a reason it isn't used more? What is the best way to heat a home there? I am very familiar with air conditioning systems and I am NOT fond of heat pumps. I've never used oil either. We hope to retire there before too long and this information would help us in a home search.

BY the way...I have driven in about 30 different states, but I have never been anywhere where people follow so closely behind other vehicles on the highway. Are there a lot of rear-end accidents there? Right after I got home and was going to work I had a car tail-gating me really closely and wondered if it was just me (and no I wasn't going slow in the fast lane). I got over and let him go around and sure enough, the license plate was from Virginia. This won't stop me from moving there, I'm just curious about it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 05:12 AM

7,056 posts, read 11,746,142 times
VA has idiot drivers like every state in this country. I've driven in nearly every state and all have horrible drivers.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:04 AM

9,257 posts, read 3,924,779 times
It all comes down to fuel availability. The sparsely populated rural areas don't justify the infastructure for natural gas. If you want to cook with a flame and don't like heat pumps, get propane. A house with fuel-oil can be converted to propane, so wouldn't pass up on a property because of fuel type. Just consider the cost of a new furnace, etc as part of the cost to remodel. Also, LP lines can freeze-up if not installed so as to mitigate that possibility.

In the DC/ NoVa area, oil to gas conversions are at a fast pace. Ask any realtor about how a buyer will pass on a listing with oil heat. There is an ill-deserved stigma here about fuel oil, and the added hassle of filling the tank.

We recently sold our place in Calloway, VA. We had decided to go all electric, though always considered LP for a cooktop.
BTW, current generation heat pumps do fine in that mild region IMO.

The region you are considering is home to NASCAR. We all drive like that, and draft the car in front of us to save gas! You'll also notice that road curves are banked so as to maintain speed. Also a NASCAR mindset.

Good luck with your search.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM

394 posts, read 118,362 times
Finalmove, If I could vote for post of the year, that would be it! I didn't think about drafting, that makes all kinds of sense to me now. The other thing that really got my attention was the really good condition of those roads. I live in the state that probably collects more in highway taxes than all the other 49 combined, and our roads cannot compete with VA. Since I first set foot in the Blue Ridge Mountains about 15 years ago, I have had my mind set on living there some day. I think I am getting close.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:53 AM

28,317 posts, read 21,234,539 times
Heat pumps are very standard for AC in southwest Virginia. If you're not using a heat pump here, you're basically down to window units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or