Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:31 AM

396 posts, read 605,334 times

Advertisements

We will be in the area next week and were wondering if there are any quaint small towns (downtowns) we should try to get in the trip.

Our trip will have us in Sharpsburg, then over to Winchester, and then down to Quantico. Are there any nice downtowns we should try to stop and stretch our legs in?

We would stop in places like

- Yarn Shops
- Candy Stores
- Bakeries
And just like to walk and enjoy the areas we stop at. Coming down from Maine.

We'll be heading back with the first stop in Gettysburg, PA, so via Tysons over to Leesburg, up to Frederick and either over towards Hagerstown and to Gettysburg, up via Thurmont, Emmitsburg to Gettysburg then on to Saratoga, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 10:44 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
No yarn or candy shop, but we do have a bakery. Middleburg has a lovely downtown area.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Heard good things about Harpers Ferry WV!

Last edited by Watchful; 09-24-2019 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Removed renegade apostrophe from Harpers

Old 09-24-2019, 12:25 PM

91 posts, read 129,950 times
Shepardstown, WV has a nice main street & shops. Harper's Ferry & Berkley Springs, WV are both nice little towns with cool shops.

You're already stopping in Winchester, which has a great Old Town.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:15 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
We will be in the area next week and were wondering if there are any quaint small towns (downtowns) we should try to get in the trip.

Our trip will have us in Sharpsburg, then over to Winchester, and then down to Quantico. Are there any nice downtowns we should try to stop and stretch our legs in?

We would stop in places like

- Yarn Shops
- Candy Stores
- Bakeries
And just like to walk and enjoy the areas we stop at. Coming down from Maine.

We'll be heading back with the first stop in Gettysburg, PA, so via Tysons over to Leesburg, up to Frederick and either over towards Hagerstown and to Gettysburg, up via Thurmont, Emmitsburg to Gettysburg then on to Saratoga, NY

Since in Winchester you should stop by Woodstock just south of it. I live outside it and this is a town full of history. Try Woodstock Cafe for lunch. Great wine shop there as well. Why Q-town? I've not much on this town at all but I saw it for so many years so maybe that's why.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
If you really need or want to do Tyson’s (it’s the antithesis of everything you described) then you can come up Rt 123 off of I-95 after Quantico. If so, stop in Occoquan, on the left just before the bridge over the Occoquan River. It’s a cute small town place in the middle of crazy suburbia. Fredericksburg downtown, Caroline Street is great. But after that heading north through Tyson’s and out to Leesburg is road commuter hell. Have patience!

Old 09-25-2019, 06:34 AM

257 posts, read 223,267 times
downtown Petersburg -- great place, only getting better.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Since in Winchester you should stop by Woodstock just south of it. I live outside it and this is a town full of history. Try Woodstock Cafe for lunch. Great wine shop there as well. Why Q-town? I've not much on this town at all but I saw it for so many years so maybe that's why.
Q-town, visiting our daughter and family in the Marines

Old 09-26-2019, 05:42 PM

42 posts, read 64,897 times
You might consider Warrenton, Va (Interstate 66E from Winchester and then Rt 17 South) - a cute, walkable, historic downtown. Lots of shops to browse including Yarnia of Old Town, Red Truck Bakery, Great Harvest Bread Co, Cafe Torino and Bakery, and VonCannon General Store (gobs of 1960's and '70's candies and more). If you are there at meal time, may I suggest Sibbys for wonderful bbq, fried chicken and mashed potatoes! I hope you enjoy Virginia as much as my family enjoyed visiting Maine!

Old 09-26-2019, 05:45 PM

thank you. is warrenton the town that has scarecrows out during Halloween?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia