Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM

63 posts, read 53,197 times

Advertisements

Hello Virginia Experts!

I am curious if anyone can describe generally how the culture might feel in comparison to the central plains/Midlands region?

I am also curious if anyone can describe the regional cultural differences within Virginia itself? I understand that it is not nearly as homogeneous as the Midwestern states.

My Husband is looking at a possible job relocation to one of four areas in Virginia with his company. We have traveled to most of the US states, except those along the Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern Seaboard. So we will obviously need to visit.

Our relocation options are:
Arlington, Chesapeake (Hampton Roads area), Richmond, & Roanoke.

I would also like to know based on the info below, which of these locations you think might be a good fit for our family.

We are early 40's, married,
We have two teenage children (14 & 16).
We have two dogs and two cats ; )
We are from Nebraska originally
We have lived in Colorado and Iowa
We currently live in a suburb of Kansas City on the Kansas side.
My husband is an Electrical Engineer and I stay home
We like to do things like hike, canoe, and would love more access to Nature than is available near KC.
We would prefer a place that has low crime, has things like local festivals, farmers markets, outdoor concerts, etc.
Has decent schools (including decent in state post secondary options) for our kids,
Has affordable housing preferably (our current cities average home value is $317,000.)
We would prefer to keep our home costs below $500,000 and we would like to purchase a home that is in the average home value range for whatever city we move to.
Where we would be welcomed as (Nebraskans) even though we are not southern
Where it is not too difficult to make friends and people are not too pretentious wearing designer shoes and handbags but also are not missing any teeth.
Where people are moderate to tolerant in their political and social ideals. We are generally a little more open minded and curious and a little less self disciplined and orderly than most mid westerners ; )
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 01:45 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
I am very biased but I think Roanoke would be a very easy fit for you in terms of what you are looking for. It is quite a bit smaller metro area than KC (I lived there WAY back when) and is also much smaller than all of the options you mentioned, but is still a metro of like 300K with plenty of affordable housing options and you wouldn't have to spend 500K! The schools zoned to Cave Spring HS, Hidden Valley HS and Salem HS have some of the best reputations, but don't rule out the others (including Lord Botetourt HS) if you find the perfect spot for you!

Others will chime in of course, but here are my off-the-cuff observations!

Arlington will be much higher dollar-wise but a much more lively metro area, and some of the best school systems in VA!

Richmond is a great compromise between the size of the DC metro and the smallness of the Roanoke metro.

Hampton Roads - well I have lived in VA for 6 years and from this board am still having a hard time understanding the pluses and minuses of that area so I will defer to others on that! Obviously if you prefer the coast to the mountains, that might be the place to go. Arlington and Richmond would have access to either. Roanoke puts you right in the mountains with abundant hiking and canoeing. Literally the Appalachian Trail is on one side of the metro and the Blue Ridge Parkway is on the other side so you can go any directions and find outdoor opportunities.

Roanoke is more middle-of-the road in terms of cultural/political values than some might think (especially compared to more rural areas). There's plenty of diversity in terms of cultural groups though Arlington would definitely be more appealing to those who want a much more overall progressive vibe.

I must confess to having had dental surgery last December and the dental implant has been significantly delayed so I am still missing two teeth haha!

Good luck! I'm sure others will provide more info for ya!

Old 10-10-2019, 03:51 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
"We like to do things like hike, canoe, and would love more access to Nature than is available near KC.
We would prefer a place that has low crime, has things like local festivals, farmers markets, outdoor concerts, etc."

This right puts you square in the middle of Roanoke. Really not a fan of Arlington and how expensive it is there and I really hate the traffic issues in that entire region but I realize not all are bothered by that if it gives you close proximity to locations like DC. Did I say that I also don't care for DC?

Roanoke seems the logical choice all things considered.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:40 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Virginia has everything.

No one is going to care if you're a Midwesterner around here, and you'll find that a lot of people are similar to those you'll find back there anyway. And it isn't personal, it is just that it is more of a Southern/Northern thing here, and specifically, Southeastern/Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern mentality here. No one cares about the Midwest in Virginia. I don't even mention it anymore unless something comes up in a conversation or my accent usually gives me away. But then someone from New York will start chiming in and I am invisible, so I just retreat from the conversation. Funny thing is, when I'm back home, there is no solidarity whatsoever. If I meet someone else from the Midwest it is cool for like 30 seconds and then we don't know each other again. When two people from NYC meet here they can talk for hours.

I've been in Hampton Roads 12 years. Don't come here. Big urban wasteland in my opinion. Really do not understand why the _ I am still here. I'll probably go back to the Midwest at some point, not too keen on the Coast. Don't believe the hype.

I'll agree with others Southwest is probably your best bet. Southwest is probably the closest you'll get to the Midwest, for what its worth, culturally. Then you have Richmond, which for me feels like a continuation of Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia is literally a suburb of DC, I don't care what anyone else says about it; honestly no different than Atlanta metro area.

The budget you cite is better for Southwestern Virginia anyway. Southeastern Virginia is expensive; you can find something that works within that budget but why would you? There isn't anything out here anyway unless you work in the military. Northern Virginia I could say the same; unless you work for a government contractor or something like the Pentagon why are you living there. DC is interesting but not interesting enough to have to commute in and out of the city.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:34 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Virginia has everything.

No one is going to care if you're a Midwesterner around here, and you'll find that a lot of people are similar to those you'll find back there anyway. And it isn't personal, it is just that it is more of a Southern/Northern thing here, and specifically, Southeastern/Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern mentality here. No one cares about the Midwest in Virginia. I don't even mention it anymore unless something comes up in a conversation or my accent usually gives me away. But then someone from New York will start chiming in and I am invisible, so I just retreat from the conversation. Funny thing is, when I'm back home, there is no solidarity whatsoever. If I meet someone else from the Midwest it is cool for like 30 seconds and then we don't know each other again. When two people from NYC meet here they can talk for hours.

I've been in Hampton Roads 12 years. Don't come here. Big urban wasteland in my opinion. Really do not understand why the _ I am still here. I'll probably go back to the Midwest at some point, not too keen on the Coast. Don't believe the hype.

I'll agree with others Southwest is probably your best bet. Southwest is probably the closest you'll get to the Midwest, for what its worth, culturally. Then you have Richmond, which for me feels like a continuation of Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia is literally a suburb of DC, I don't care what anyone else says about it; honestly no different than Atlanta metro area.

The budget you cite is better for Southwestern Virginia anyway. Southeastern Virginia is expensive; you can find something that works within that budget but why would you? There isn't anything out here anyway unless you work in the military. Northern Virginia I could say the same; unless you work for a government contractor or something like the Pentagon why are you living there. DC is interesting but not interesting enough to have to commute in and out of the city.
I'm not interested in igniting this argument but I'm curious, how often do you visit NoVa? I was in Midlothian 2 weeks ago, super nice area (especially the area near Wegmans) but it honestly feels nothing like NoVa.

OP, I really think Roanoke would fit what you're looking for. Maybe Chesapeake as well.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I'm not interested in igniting this argument but I'm curious, how often do you visit NoVa? I was in Midlothian 2 weeks ago, super nice area (especially the area near Wegmans) but it honestly feels nothing like NoVa.

OP, I really think Roanoke would fit what you're looking for. Maybe Chesapeake as well.
You say you don't want to ignite that convo but then ignite that convo lol. He said Richmond and you shoot straight to exurb doesn't feel like core NOVA lol. Western Henrico/Glen Allen/Short Pump shares plenty similarities with NOVA and you know it, that's why you picked on Midlothian which honestly could be one of the further out NOVA burbs also. Half the people that move down here from there choose Midlothian. You all get so bent out of shape over Richmond comparisons lol. You can't even let someone have a one-sentence opinion on it without asking them to qualify it with how often they visit . It was probably the tongue in cheek Atlanta reference that set you off lol

Anywho...Roanoake is going to be the more isolated of the group. It has nice outdoor rec opportunities. It's a mountain town which has a culture of its own. Arlington is going to be the big city option. It really is an extension of DC(used to be apart of DC) and comes with all the amenities of that. It has the most traffic and highest cost of living in the area but also has the highest salaries and best schools. Richmond is a good mix between both. Not as large an area as Arlington but a lot larger than Roanoake. Richmond has a strong, growing economy and is beginning a growth spurt. Nice mixture of urbanity, outdoor rec, and art. Chesapeake is the hardest to categorize. Its a city in its own right but operates mostly as a suburb of VA Beach and Norfolk. The Tidewater area, in my opinion, has some work to do. It has its good qualities but it is not my favorite part of Virginia. It could be a truly magical area but it struggles with regional cooperation which is extremely important for an area made up of 7 separate cities.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:20 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
You say you don't want to ignite that convo but then ignite that convo lol. He said Richmond and you shoot straight to exurb doesn't feel like core NOVA lol. Western Henrico/Glen Allen/Short Pump shares plenty similarities with NOVA and you know it, that's why you picked on Midlothian which honestly could be one of the further out NOVA burbs also. Half the people that move down here from there choose Midlothian. You all get so bent out of shape over Richmond comparisons lol. You can't even let someone have a one-sentence opinion on it without asking them to qualify it with how often they visit . It was probably the tongue in cheek Atlanta reference that set you off lol

Anywho...Roanoake is going to be the more isolated of the group. It has nice outdoor rec opportunities. It's a mountain town which has a culture of its own. Arlington is going to be the big city option. It really is an extension of DC(used to be apart of DC) and comes with all the amenities of that. It has the most traffic and highest cost of living in the area but also has the highest salaries and best schools. Richmond is a good mix between both. Not as large an area as Arlington but a lot larger than Roanoake. Richmond has a strong, growing economy and is beginning a growth spurt. Nice mixture of urbanity, outdoor rec, and art. Chesapeake is the hardest to categorize. Its a city in its own right but operates mostly as a suburb of VA Beach and Norfolk. The Tidewater area, in my opinion, has some work to do. It has its good qualities but it is not my favorite part of Virginia. It could be a truly magical area but it struggles with regional cooperation which is extremely important for an area made up of 7 separate cities.
Lol not really. It was a genuine question. You seem more bothered by it than I was.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
In the Richmond area, Henrico is the most NOVA-like. I’m not talking Arlington or Tyson’s NoVa but McClain, Centerville, Herndon, Ashburn...
It has the look and some of the diversity but it obviously isn’t on the same scale.
Parts of Jeff Davis Highway in chesterfield look like Woodbridge and Chipingham Pkwy is pretty indistinguishable from Fairfax County Parkway. The Fan and Old Town are very similar with regards to built form. But again, everything is on a much smaller scale. A Walmart crowd in Short Pump or Glenn Allen will look like the crowd in Fairfax (same diversity). Midlothian isn’t there yet but the housing is pretty identical to the Mc Mansons in NoVa.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post

I always pass through NoVa going to DC or other points North.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post

I'm not saying that Northern Virginia is not picturesque and not good for the outdoors. I'm saying, to the OP, unless he is working directly for the government or working for a contractor doing business with the government why would he want to stay in NoVa to stay within his budget when he can get a similar look at the land closer to where he is at. It isn't worth it in my opinion. And I would say the same thing about Hampton Roads with respect to government contracts and the military. It was cool for a year or two when I first moved here, and I obviously enjoy the more urban amenities like Virginia Beach Town Center, Hampton Town Center, Ghent, etc. But to me these are pieces of a city not a real, fleshed out, post-urban, post-industrial, city like you get in the Midwest. That just does not exist in this part of Virginia. We get bits and pieces of that around here. At least in the Southwest part of the state a city is an actual city. And Richmond. But Hampton Roads, it isn't anything but urban counties and the roads that connect one county to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia