Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 08:09 PM

59 posts, read 53,494 times

Advertisements

Posting this in few sub forums. Please bear with me.

I am struggling like hell to get a title to my car. I am going back and forth between CA DMV, Virginia DMV and Toyota Financial services to get a title to the car that I fully paid. Every time I call each of them, it is a wait time of minimum 1 hour. Every time I talk to them, each person in the respective entity is saying different things. I wasted lot of my time. I am really frustrated that I cant a title to a car that is mine.

Here is the situation:
1. We bought a Toyota Corolla in California in 2008. We financed it from Toyota Financial Services. Got a license plate in CA. Let us call it CA1.

2. We moved to Virginia in 2012 and registered it in Virginia in 2012.

3. We moved back to California in 2013. It is registered as Goldenrod/no proof of ownership in California. Got issued another license plate. Call it CA2.

4. We fully paid Toyota Financial Services in 2015.

I am going in circles with CA DMV, VA DMV and Toyota to get the title. Each of them are telling different reason, different story, and asking for different document every time I call them. Each line here represents a wait of minimum 60 minutes on the phone to speak to a person.

1. CA DMV title department says: They issued title to Toyota in 2011.
2. CA DMV customer center says: They don't have title anymore due to golden rod registration.

3. CA DMV customer center says: The title is with CA. They are the correct entity to issue title.

4. CA DMV call center says: CA DMV title department can issue the document that the title is never issued to me.

5. CA DMV title department says:They cant issue such document because title is issued to Toyota. Although title is not issued to me, they cant send such document.

6. CA DMV title department says: I should get Toyota and CA DMV title department in 3 party call. Both don't have direct numbers. There is wait time of 100 minutes. I have no idea how I can get them on 3 party call. I asked him how I can get you on 3 party call. He said I have to figure out.

7. CA DMV title department says: Toyota is wrongly looking for title using new license plate number(CA2). But toyota says they look using VIN and not using any license plate number.

8. CA DMV customer center says: They are not going to call Toyota or VA DMV. It is Toyota that is incompetent party.
9. CA DMV customer center says: They don't talk to CA DMV title center. It is up to me to take information provided to the other.

10. Toyota says: They released title to CA DMV in Jan 2016(we paid in Dec 2015) and CA DMV rejected because CA DMV is asking for proof that the car is not titled in VA but only registered in VA. When I call CA DMV or title department, none of they are saying this is the document they need though.
11. Toyota says: They sent lien release to me and I should take it to CA DMV to get the title.
12. CA DMV title department says: They wont accept lien release because they already issued title to Toyota in 2011.

12. VA DMV says: .It is a title state. I cant just register in VA. They are asking for document that the car is only registered in CA and not titled in my name.
13. VA DMV says: We can release title to you if you send us lien release form. Don't send VA-67.
14. VA DMV says: If you send VA-67, lien release and proof that I never had title, they can send title.
15. VA DMV says: There is no title for VA to send you.
16. VA DMV syas: There is title created when vehicle is registered in VA.

I have no idea what I can do to get the title for my car. Who has the title? How many have the title? Is there any legal action I can take to get the title? CA DMV and VA DMV say they are doing all these to prevent fraud. I am not sure if they are preventing fraud but they are driving their citizens to end of the world.

Does anyone have any idea on how to navigate this situation? Have you moved states CA->VA->CA and had a bank/Toyota financial services in between? Can I complain to Department of transportation or a government entity that can help me with it? I might be better of giving the car away to dealers or throwing it in a dump yard. But I am unable to do. That is my car. I own it. I should have the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 06:37 PM

59 posts, read 53,494 times
Can someone familiar with VA DMV help me? This is the current state of the car

1. Car is electronically titled in 2011 in CA. Car was financed through Toyota.
2. Car is titled in Virginia in 2012. Still financed through Toyota.
3. Car is registered as non transferable golden rod registration(no title) in CA in 2013. Still financed through Toyota.
4. I paid off my loan to Toyota in 2015. I have lien release from them as proof.

If I show golden rod registration card from CA and lien release form from Toyota to VA DMV, will VA DMV be able to release the title to me, which I can then take it back to CA DMV ?

Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Francois View Post

3. We moved back to California in 2013. It is registered as Goldenrod/no proof of ownership in California. Got issued another license plate. Call it CA2.

Why was it registered this way; when there was a clear owner - Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Francois View Post

4. We fully paid Toyota Financial Services in 2015.
This was 4 years ago. Why didn't you deal with this then?

Old 10-26-2019, 10:58 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
If you were in Virginia, you could report the car as abandoned and take title and ownership using the abandoned titling.

Toyota can get a duplicate or replacement title in California. It would show Toyota Motor Credit Co as the owner. Take it with the lien payoff to get a new title. You have to call and send a letter to the department that handles the delivery of lien payoff and title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia