Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2022, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 17,690 times

Advertisements

I received a job offer to relocate to Warrenton, VA from my basic search looks like housing is a bit limited in and out of town. Job will pay $40 an hour plus benefits. Even with this not much is affordable. How is the crime in town, are there desirable and less desirable areas? Or are there even other towns nearby in which a commute would be bearable?

When are you moving?

Possibly sometime in November

Where are you coming from?
New Jersey

Why are you moving?
Work opportunity

Where will you be working?
GVT contractor

Have you been here yet?
No

Will you buy or rent?
Looking to buy

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
House or townhouse 350k max

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, NO

Do you prefer public or private schools?
N/A

Do you have pets?
Yes 1 dog

Do you want or need a yard?
Would like one for the dog.

Are you keeping a car?
Yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I prefer it quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) X
Nightlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 09:59 AM

110 posts, read 118,767 times
Warrenton is a pretty decent place to live. It is a smaller town but there is all the amenities you need like grocery stores, banks, doctor's offices, etc. You are about 1hr from Washington DC which is where you will find the bigger clubs/bars/night life. One nice thing about Warrenton is you are close to a lot of nature/outdoor activities. That would be nice if you have a dog in my opinion.

Gainesville is another town maybe 20 or so minutes from Warrenton I would check out. Manassas is the biggest city around (suburban feel) and is 30 or so minutes away. All of these towns are relatively safe and therefore, relatively expensive to live. The state of Virginia as a whole is considered cheap, but northern Virginia where your job offer is, is the most expensive area of the state.

I see decent 1bd apartments for rent in Manassas for $1700 or so. A home for rent in Warrenton for $2100 and its nothing special. But yea, rent is gonna be one of your highest costs if you move here.

Message me or let me know if you have anymore questions

Old 10-19-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdesertdude View Post
Warrenton is a pretty decent place to live. It is a smaller town but there is all the amenities you need like grocery stores, banks, doctor's offices, etc. You are about 1hr from Washington DC which is where you will find the bigger clubs/bars/night life. One nice thing about Warrenton is you are close to a lot of nature/outdoor activities. That would be nice if you have a dog in my opinion.

Gainesville is another town maybe 20 or so minutes from Warrenton I would check out. Manassas is the biggest city around (suburban feel) and is 30 or so minutes away. All of these towns are relatively safe and therefore, relatively expensive to live. The state of Virginia as a whole is considered cheap, but northern Virginia where your job offer is, is the most expensive area of the state.

I see decent 1bd apartments for rent in Manassas for $1700 or so. A home for rent in Warrenton for $2100 and its nothing special. But yea, rent is gonna be one of your highest costs if you move here.

Message me or let me know if you have anymore questions

Thanks for the response. Yeah the pricing is rough. I would most likely be working 12 hour days so I would want to work somewhat close to my work location. I was looking at homes in Marshall but it doesn't look like there is very much there.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:50 PM

Of course dude! I would definitely look at Manassas though for an easy commute (under 30 min) and nice place to live. Also lots of options. Marshall is barely a dot on the map haha. Idk what Jersey is like, but there are people in Northern Virginia that spend 1.5 hours on the road (EACH WAY) to commute to and from work. I've had uber drivers who lived 1 hr outside of DC, places like Warrenton, but they were my driver in DC.

If you need help looking at a specific place, there's a considerable amount of rentals that are easiest to find with a realtor/local person, let me know!

Old 10-21-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdesertdude View Post
Of course dude! I would definitely look at Manassas though for an easy commute (under 30 min) and nice place to live. Also lots of options. Marshall is barely a dot on the map haha. Idk what Jersey is like, but there are people in Northern Virginia that spend 1.5 hours on the road (EACH WAY) to commute to and from work. I've had uber drivers who lived 1 hr outside of DC, places like Warrenton, but they were my driver in DC.

If you need help looking at a specific place, there's a considerable amount of rentals that are easiest to find with a realtor/local person, let me know!

New Jersey is an overcrowded hellhole. Whats the winter weather like in the area? How bad does it snow or ice?

Old 10-21-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarman02 View Post
New Jersey is an overcrowded hellhole. Whats the winter weather like in the area? How bad does it snow or ice?

Hahaha you said it not me

Winter is a lot milder here than Jersey that's for sure. January is probably the coldest month. It's mostly high 40s/low 20s. We get some rain and maybe some snow, just depending. I would not call it bad though after living in Upstate NY or the Rocky Mountains. No miserable extended winters like NJ. Honestly, the weather in Virginia is pretty mild overall. Nothing too crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia