Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Heading north through Virginia, what is the last area where southern accents are prominent? Be as specific as you want, name any counties or towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM

708 posts, read 1,156,651 times
Can't really tell you how far North the Southern Accent goes, but I would classify Buchanan, Tazewell, Dickenson, Wise, and Russell counties in the far Western part of the state as a Appalachian-Hillbilly dialect.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Petersburg heading north, which is almost North Carolina. You do get Appalachian accents in the west. Virginia never really had much of a southern accent, there was a uniquely virginia accent, but its dying out.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
I grew up there , and you can find a distinct unique southern accent on the Southside of Tidewater, particularly Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and Va. Beach. People from the Eastern Shore have a distinct southern accent too. I don't know all the cities and towns heading north, but i bet all around Richmond you get the slight southern accent, and then when you go up to Fairfax area it's like another state. No southern nothing.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Petersburg heading north, which is almost North Carolina. You do get Appalachian accents in the west. Virginia never really had much of a southern accent, there was a uniquely virginia accent, but its dying out.
So you mean Petersburg and the areas to the south are more similar to North Carolina? If that's the case, I'll agree that towns such as Petersburg, Franklin, Emporia, South Hill, Farmville, South Boston, Danville, and Martinsville feel a bit more like towns you'd find in North Carolina. Also, this area is known as the "Tobacco Belt."

Old 05-08-2014, 11:21 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I would agree with your above statement. I have been to Petersburg, Franklin and Emporia and it feels pretty southern to me.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I would agree with your above statement. I have been to Petersburg, Franklin and Emporia and it feels pretty southern to me.
It seems like there is quite a difference between the towns north of Richmond and the towns to the south. NOVA is in a different league by itself, but towns like Fredericksburg, Stafford, and Culpeper seem quite different from towns like Petersburg, Danville, and Emporia.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:32 PM

110 posts, read 147,410 times
Without question the most stereotypically southern accent is probably in Southwestern Virginia and that doesn't include Roanoke. When you think SWVA think Wytheville and west. The accents you hear in this area are remarkably thick. Granted they are technically "Appalchian Southern" accents as opposed to a more debutant southern accent heard deeper in the south...they are still unquestionably thick and unquestionably southern. I still recall the first time I travelled to a small coal town in extreme southwest Virginia called Grundy. Literally the thickest accents I've ever heard. And I travel ALL over the south for my job....I couldn't understand these people, lol.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
Without question the most stereotypically southern accent is probably in Southwestern Virginia and that doesn't include Roanoke. When you think SWVA think Wytheville and west. The accents you hear in this area are remarkably thick. Granted they are technically "Appalchian Southern" accents as opposed to a more debutant southern accent heard deeper in the south...they are still unquestionably thick and unquestionably southern. I still recall the first time I travelled to a small coal town in extreme southwest Virginia called Grundy. Literally the thickest accents I've ever heard. And I travel ALL over the south for my job....I couldn't understand these people, lol.
I bet those accents are probably similar to many accents you'll hear in western North Carolina, east Tennessee, east Kentucky, and southern West Virginia, also. I imagine these accents are not too dissimilar, and I believe north Georgia accents are pretty similar to western NC accents.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM

I'm still curious to find the last area going north through Virginia where southern accents are prominent, maybe Fredericksburg? Or, maybe you find a specific Virginia accent throughout the whole state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia