Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,922 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both grew up in the Rochester, NY area and complain every single winter about hating the snow and cold-- or at least that it lasts about 9 months. We are ready for a move south but are not sure where. We still have family here in Rochester so being on the west coast is out of the question.
We love the outdoors, LOVE live music, and generally any adventure that gets us out of the house. Kids are grown so the schools don't matter. Though I know there are no places on the east coast that are dry, I still would like to find someplace at least less humid due to having horrible asthma. A little snow every now and then is okay.
I am an RN and looking to work in private duty home care, my husband a financial advisor. He will likely stay with his company and try to transfer. I will need to find a home care agency to work through-so any suggestions there would be helpful. (Best paying agencies, best to work for, etc.)

We realize with larger cities that offer more to do come higher crime rates, but also coming from Rochester, NY most places have less violent crime then here! We plan to rent wherever we go to spend time fine tuning exactly where we would want to buy a home. When ready to buy, I would love a contemporary/modern mid-century home but don't see too many in the south in general. Not sure if I am not looking in the right places or if they just don't really exist.

I would love to be near water, just not in the hot spots for hurricanes. Not a fan of Florida-- too flat for me as I love the mountains too.

The cost of living in upstate--well horrible taxes on property to start with. Then add higher costs in general. We would love to find an area that is more affordable. We also like a diverse population-love to learn about other cultures.

We have considered North Carolina, Virginia, maybe Delaware or Maryland. Been to Asheville,NC and Wilmington, NC. On the fence on those as not to much going on in the financial world for my husband.

So....thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 04:59 PM

91 posts, read 129,950 times
I went to RIT and lived in Rochester for many years and lived in Fredonia for a bit as well. Moving to VA was a big shock, as we get barely any snow here. I miss it, but I know that it isn't for everyone.

Check out Winchester, VA. Last winter I didn't have to shovel once. I've lived here for 15 years now and love it- lots to do outdoors, close to a water spots, close enough to DC for trips, very affordable.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:21 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
OP, you're posting in the Northern VA forum. You will definitely get less snow here! But most neighborhoods in this area will be more expensive than Rochester, and you are not near the ocean here (though you could live near the Potomac). NoVA close to DC is more like the NYC metro area than it is like Asheville and Wilmington (so maybe you want to look at other parts of VA) - NoVA is urban/suburban. More opportunities for your husband, more diversity, hilly in places (but not mountainous), expensive--but, surprise - most of Northern VA has very low crime compared to that in many other urban areas.

There are very few contemporary and mid-century modern homes here. People's architectural tastes tend to be very traditional. If you can afford and want to spend the money, though, there are some examples of beautiful modern homes tucked into a few neighborhoods--there are some very talented modern architects. There are a few mid-century neighborhoods, though they aren't very close to DC (e.g., Hollin Hills in Alexandria).

Old 04-29-2020, 08:14 AM

91 posts, read 129,950 times
Unless I'm mistaken, the OP was in the main VA forum....

Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,922 times
As I mentioned in my post, my husband and I are looking at NC, VA, and maybe MD or DE. Thus my post being in the VA forum. Sorry for any confusion. As far as VA we would be leaning towards the coast.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:31 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdUpstateNYers View Post
As I mentioned in my post, my husband and I are looking at NC, VA, and maybe MD or DE. Thus my post being in the VA forum. Sorry for any confusion. As far as VA we would be leaning towards the coast.
I'm from Westchester, NY. We don't get as much as snow as you do. At the beginning of every winter, my anxiety rate goes up anticipating power outages.

My daughter moved to VA recently. I really like what I saw. People were friendly and polite. The landscape is beautiful. I saw the area in winter. I would have visit again in summer during tourist season.

I met transplanted New Yorkers there and they said:

The winters are mild, but warned of powerful hurricanes on the coast. (But hey, I lost a week of electricity with Hurricane Irma and another week with Hurricane Sandy, so there.)

and, there is chiggers bug problem.

Quote:
Chiggers are members of the arachnid family (the same family that includes spiders and ticks). They are smaller than a period at the end of a sentence. Their bites aren't painful, but do cause intense itching.
Besides that, they liked VA.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:36 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
I have been in VA since 73 and I believe have only dealt with Chiggers once and I had a 30 year career where I was in the woods and all over fields on a constant basis. I know some are bothered by them but for some reason I have not

Old 04-30-2020, 07:58 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
For Financial side may want to consider Charlotte, NC as well? Mountains even through NC are less humid than the coast but can still get warm in summer. Closer to coast offers sea breeze. As far as Hurricanes NC sticks out enough to usually take the brunt of a storm before affecting VA (Isabel was probably the last really big one to hit Hampton Roads in SE VA). The US National Hurricane Center (NHC) offers maps to help show you which areas along the coast are more likely, on average, or at least in the past have seen more storms than others: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/#uss

If you end up near the water be sure to check the Hurricane storm surge map (basically around 30ft above high tide level and higher you’re out of surge danger), be sure to change the storm categories as surge is typically higher the higher the category: https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma...935fad&entry=1

Also wherever you move to be sure to look at FEMA flood maps and note that “100year” or “500year” flood terms, etc are actually your annual chance, so 500yr flood is really a 1 in 500 chance of occurring each year and not only once every 500 years thing.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:15 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Sounds like Richmond is your best bet.

A short drive to VA Beach but inland enough to escape any hurricane force winds, a strong corporate culture and lots of finance jobs tied to state government, mountains 2 hours away, train ride to DC when you need a big city fix, much warmer than Rochester.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:08 PM

2,975 posts, read 1,645,736 times
If humidity is an issue for you, choose somewhere north of Virginia, Virginia summers are DREADFUL. And I say that as a lifelong Virginia native.

We don't get the beautiful clear crisp summer weather of the Canadian border states. And summer lasts from June into November.

Last July/Aug/Sept it was six straight weeks of 90s, very little to no rain, intense sunshine and heavy humidity.

North Carolina is even worse. Also NC gets far more intense rain events than Virginia. It does have the outer Banks though which are wonderful.

I would suggest Maryland would be a better fit for upstate New Yorkers. Frederick is a nice town and not too far from the action in DC.

The outer environs of Baltimore are lovely with many old towns and villages that are now suburbs. Owings Mills is a nice area to consider but there are many others. Caveat: as you are probably aware the city of Baltimore is a poorly-run mess, avoid.

Although just across the Potomac from Virginia, summers are a little better. And there is always the wonderful Chesapeake Bay with little towns and villages that dot its extensive shoreline.

Before you move anywhere though research the history of these states you're thinking of, how it became a colony, its famous sons and daughters. Is the culture a fit for you?

Fleeing snow is not a good reason to move somewhere, power outages happen everywhere, they are not to be avoided anywhere as there is some kind of violent weather in most of the country at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia